Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wondered what BIB means:confused:
    Bit in Bold :)
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was obvious who was going to be star baker and who was going home, Norman had started to lag behind the others whilst Kate is getting stronger, not nice to see Martha upset but she showed spirit to bounce back, this could develop into a close contest.... go Martha :)
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    BIB^^^ That sums it up exactly!

Paul and Mary have made it clear that flavour is as important as technique and presentation - think of everything they said to Frances last year - and if Norman thinks that pesto or lemon are exotic flavours, then while he might be delivering on technique, he's clearly not delivering on flavour, and we can see for ourselves that he's not delivering on presentation either. Norman seems a nice guy but the others all have more flair in their bakes than he does.
    When they audition and choose the contestants, they say they're looking for variety in ability, personality, age, etc. So in spite of what the publicity says they are not choosing the BEST bakers, just a mix of competent bakers who they think will make a good TV programme.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    When they audition and choose the contestants, they say they're looking for variety in ability, personality, age, etc. So in spite of what the publicity says they are not choosing the BEST bakers, just a mix of competent bakers who they think will make a good TV programme.
    That's what the producers choose when they select their lineup.
    What Paul and Mary are looking for is flair.
    I wonder how involved Paul and Mary are in the selection process?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just catching up on last night's show & aw, I wanted to give Martha a hug after the first task.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Am not sure what it is as I cannot put my finger on it, but since moving over to BBC1, I am positive that Paul and Mary are becoming more and more critical and scathing of contestants work, than they used to be on BBC2.

Am glad that Norman has eventually gone out, but I do wonder how close it was between Richard and Norman.. Richard really did have a bad episode.

Think Paul has his favourites...Kate and Martha being at least two.

I suspect, had Norman not been there, and dead man walking from the off, with the withdrawal of Diane, they may well have not sent anyone home this week. Richard's been a front runner every other week, although his pear pie did give me the giggles - the withdrawal of Diane does give them that option if someone very good, say Luiz, has a stinker in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    That's what the producers choose when they select their lineup.
    What Paul and Mary are looking for is flair.
    I doubt they're involved at all. I imagine the production company are solely responsible for sifting through the applicants. This is what they say in the rules accompanying the 2014 application form:

"1. When selecting applicants for ‘The Great British Bake Off’ the following will be taken into account: skill, enthusiasm, drive, love of baking, lively characters who are comfortable being filmed. Initial selection will be based on the application forms and telephone interviews. In addition the Producers may (but may not) invite short listed applicants to attend an interview at their discretion. We will be looking for a mix of finalists to reflect the range in age, location, gender and diversity of amateur bakers in Britain."

If you google

Great British Bake off application 2014

you can see the whole application form and rules.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if the press watch the same programme as me!
    There's was no scathing dressing down of martha by Mary and Paul, just an honest critique of her tart. Martha knew herself that it wasn't great, having admitted that pastry is her weak spot.

I think Martha is a lovely girl- in fact all this year's contestants are a really nice bunch and much more supportive of each other than the press would have us believe.

Interesting that the recap of the previous week's show was so cursory. I wonder if there was some last minute re-editing after last week's furore. They seemed to be playing it down after racking up the "interest" last week

I was looking on Twitter earlier, she has done a few interviews on BBC Local Radio and also for a magazine which has her on the cover.

Norman certainly has a lot of fans, a lot of past Bake Off contestants have been regretting his leaving though I think they all accept it was the right decision. Someone Tweeted a link to an article of his in the P&J earlier in the Summer.

Bake-off star Norman Calder shares his ‘Cullen Wife’s paps’ on Twitter

That might not get through their paywall.
  • Options
    sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I always say that those who cook with Lavender don't understand the difference between "non-toxic" and "edible".

When I ascend to not-so-benevolent dictator, using it in food will be punishable by being drowned in lavender water.

Can you add coriander leaf to your banned foods list please? Nasty soapy stuff, it ruins many a good dish.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am not sure what it is as I cannot put my finger on it, but since moving over to BBC1, I am positive that Paul and Mary are becoming more and more critical and scathing of contestants work, than they used to be on BBC2.
    I thought Paul had been much less critical this year, well perhaps not less critical but last year he was critical in a nasty way whilst this year he has been critical with a smile, a sparkle and a quip. When he mentions a potential problem at the start of their bake, but not what it is, it's almost playful. :D

I put his grouchiness last year, and his playful mood this year, down to his marital situation.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to see Norman go, he’s such a nice guy. Can’t imagine him changing anything about his bakes so hope he just continues enjoying his baking. He was one of my favourites for not being fazed by being beaten down each week.

They all seemed to wobbled a bit this week but perhaps Richard and Martha were hit worst by last week’s shenanigans and Diana not returning. Want to see Martha do well. She starts back at school today as Head Girl and is on course to be going places so hope I see her back on top form next week.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I've read that P & M have nothing to do with selecting the contestants, even to the point of only meeting them for the first time in the tent, though I'm sure they're given some briefing notes in advance...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    Sorry to see Norman go, he’s such a nice guy. Can’t imagine him changing anything about his bakes so hope he just continues enjoying his baking. He was one of my favourites for not being fazed by being beaten down each week.

They all seemed to wobbled a bit this week but perhaps Richard and Martha were hit worst by last week’s shenanigans and Diana not returning. Want to see Martha do well. She starts back at school today as Head Girl and is on course to be going places so hope I see her back on top form next week.

Head Girl! I love her! She is straight out of Mallory Towers!
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Head Girl! I love her! She is straight out of Mallory Towers!

She is! :D

You can see her striding across the lawn to the baking tent with a lacrosse stick in her hand.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    sazuburns wrote: »
    Can you add coriander leaf to your banned foods list please? Nasty soapy stuff, it ruins many a good dish.

Oh yes. I hate coriander with a passion, used to pick around coriander when I eat if it was added to mother's cooking, much to her annoyance. It has such an unpleasant strong taste.

It's getting tough to guess who might get eliminated next now that all the obvious weaker bakers have gone. My early prediction was for Chetna, Martha, Nancy and Richard to be the contenders for the top 3 finalists, now I'm not so sure. Martha is wobbling a bit, Richard had a disaster, while Luis has been consistently good, and now Kate has won star baker. All of them are looking to be likely finalists.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you add coriander leaf to your banned foods list please?

Happily.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snikpoh wrote: »
    Reminds me of Tracy - Ann Oberman

Tracy has been tweeting about it. She was forever confused with Alex whenever she was in Doctor who. She tweeted last night that she and Alex had done well getting star baker.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I've read that P & M have nothing to do with selecting the contestants, even to the point of only meeting them for the first time in the tent, though I'm sure they're given some briefing notes in advance...
    Not sure if that is entirely true. According to this article, the contestants go through a number steps in the selection process, and in the second audition they bake something for Paul and Mary -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9411189/Behind-the-scenes-at-the-Great-British-Bake-Off.html

I suspect Paul and Mary were there just to say who is good enough to be chosen, but the final selection would likely rest with the producers. It's usually the case with reality competition shows that the contestants are chosen because they fit a certain profile and range of personalities, and can represent certain demographics (therefore, some older persons, some young ones, some from ethnic minority, roughly equal number of males and females, etc. etc.) They don't want the show to be full of white middle-aged women even if they are all very good at baking.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Paul's point though - if you are going to keep things simple than the execution has to be absolutely perfect. The others have been more adventurous in terms of flavour and technique, so they get points for that even if they drop them because something is over- or under-baked etc, but Norman consistently played it safe yet he made mistakes like not trimming his pastry properly, and thinking that a ton of icing sugar would do for decoration.

I think he is a solid baker, but they are looking for flair and someone who will push the envelope.

No I agree. But it seemed Paul didn't like him from the off. The recipes are submitted before the show is even filmed so why let him be a contestant if you're not happy with what he's doing. Just seems like a waste if everyone's time.

I do think this week Norman was the weakest link and therefor should have gone home. But I also think Paul forever harping on about how it's simple and doesn't excite him was a bit out of order given he knew what the recipes were before the tent was even put up.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    No I agree. But it seemed Paul didn't like him from the off. The recipes are submitted before the show is even filmed so why let him be a contestant if you're not happy with what he's doing. Just seems like a waste if everyone's time.

I do think this week Norman was the weakest link and therefor should have gone home. But I also think Paul forever harping on about how it's simple and doesn't excite him was a bit out of order given he knew what the recipes were before the tent was even put up.
    The producers know the recipes beforehand but that doesn't necessarily mean Paul and Mary do. Besides, I think the recipes can still be tweaked. Jordan said on An Extra Slice that he had planned to use blueberries in his sweet showstopper bread, instead of the strawberries and raspberries that he actually used, but because Mary had criticised the use of blueberries in an earlier episode, he had gone home and removed blueberries from all his planned recipes.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show needs a diverse cast, hence how Norman likely got on ahead of yet another 30 something woman who likely had more flair than him. As a man applying for this show you've a better shot at making it than as a normal housewife with a husband and a few kids.
  • Options
    Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Don't know if it's been mentioned on here but have you noticed that they wear the same clothes on both days, contestants & judges. Wonder why that is?
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a football match last night - quote from Yahoo/Eurosport:

" But nobody should expect the nation to submit itself to a drab side going gutlessly through the motions against Norway when they have the unadulterated human drama of Norman’s ill-fated lavender meringue on the other side. "

When you compare the viewing figures (football lost), I bet Norman and his mates never thought they'd make more compelling viewing than Rooney and his mates
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if it's been mentioned on here but have you noticed that they wear the same clothes on both days, contestants & judges. Wonder why that is?

Yes we've discussed it before. I think we agreed that it was in case they needed to reshoot anything.