Options

Ios 8

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    jem101jem101 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I had mine replaced at the Apple Store in Stratford on Wednesday. They ask that you disable Find My iPhone and make sure that you have made a backup either to iCloud or iTunes, which made me think that they would be replacing the entire phone.

However what they actually did was to replace the battery. They ran some diagnostics on the phone (presumably just to verify that the battery was failing to hold the proper charge) and checked that the serial number was in the eligible range. Left it with them, came back in about an hour and it was all done.

Fairly painless processes all round.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    jem101 wrote: »
    I had mine replaced at the Apple Store in Stratford on Wednesday. They ask that you disable Find My iPhone and make sure that you have made a backup either to iCloud or iTunes, which made me think that they would be replacing the entire phone.

However what they actually did was to replace the battery. They ran some diagnostics on the phone (presumably just to verify that the battery was failing to hold the proper charge) and checked that the serial number was in the eligible range. Left it with them, came back in about an hour and it was all done.
    Thanks for that - did you make an appointment?

I am unsure if mine is faulty but it does cut out with between 10 and 20% of charge in the display at times.
  • Options
    jem101jem101 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Yes I did make an appointment using the on-line system last weekend, Wednesday at 11:30 am was the first convenient appointment at Stratford. I got there early but was seen right away, no waiting at all.

The symptoms of my phone sounded just like yours, it seemed to charge up too quickly, drain away too fast and had a habit of just dying when the indicator said 20% or so of battery left. I had fully charged the phone before leaving home and it was still saying 96% when I got there, although I didn't use it at all on the journey. When I got it back, the replacement battery was showing as 40%. I plugged it in at work and it's been fine ever since.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curiously I've just had my iPhone 5 running iOS 8 GM tell me that my device is eligible to receive Pages, Numbers and iMovie for free. (I'm sure it would have said Keynote too, but I've previously purchased that.)

I'm not sure at this stage if Apple is expanding eligibility to cover older devices or whether it's an error, but my iPhone 5 was definitely not eligible before today.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently running 8
    I like it, but becoming more like Android every update
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Curiously I've just had my iPhone 5 running iOS 8 GM tell me that my device is eligible to receive Pages, Numbers and iMovie for free. (I'm sure it would have said Keynote too, but I've previously purchased that.)

I'm not sure at this stage if Apple is expanding eligibility to cover older devices or whether it's an error, but my iPhone 5 was definitely not eligible before today.

I had the same thing happen to me on my iPhone 5s. I installed iOS 8 final release version today and it also offered me the above for free.

Have you worked out how to send self destructing iMessages yet or how to set Find My iPhone to send the last location before the battery dies? Can't find either feature at the moment, but all else is good.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Currently running 8
    I like it, but becoming more like Android every update

That's because some features on Android are leaving Apple behind considerably.

Android often do something first, a good while earlier, then Apple add it to their new phone or the one after and everyone thinks it's great. The difference is that the Apple products tend to be a better overall user experience all packaged in to one so people tend to put up with the delay.

I'm an Apple user, got an iPad, iMac and iPhone, yet I still recognise that the real innovations tend to appear on Android phones first and come our way later.
  • Options
    GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    lalaland wrote: »

Have you worked out how to send self destructing iMessages yet or how to set Find My iPhone to send the last location before the battery dies? Can't find either feature at the moment, but all else is good.

AFAIK it's only audio & video messages that can expire.
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    That's because some features on Android are leaving Apple behind considerably.

Android often do something first, a good while earlier, then Apple add it to their new phone or the one after and everyone thinks it's great. The difference is that the Apple products tend to be a better overall user experience all packaged in to one so people tend to put up with the delay.

I'm an Apple user, got an iPad, iMac and iPhone, yet I still recognise that the real innovations tend to appear on Android phones first and come our way later.

and the when it suits them Android users forget some things come first on the iPhone such as Airplay years before chrome cast. Something i use every day and very useful.