Ian Paisley has died

Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    As it's impolite to speak ill of the dead, I'll just say nothing.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

NO NO NO.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

^^ This.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surrendered eventually.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the glorious 12th
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Ian Paisley.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was certainly a one off. A hate filled bigot for most of his career but he did mellow considerably later in life.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard many accounts that he was a very nice guy to talk to. I will leave it at that.
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never!
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    He was a character, I'll give him that.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was quite amazing to witness his double act with Martin McGuiness in his later years......on the face of it there appeared to be genuine affection between the two of them........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It was quite amazing to witness his double act with Martin McGuiness in his later years......on the face of it there appeared to be genuine affection between the two of them........

He did seem to mellow towards Irish nationalism and towards Catholicism later in his life
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He mellowed towards catholics. I don't think he ever mellowed towards catholicism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    He mellowed towards catholics. I don't think he ever mellowed towards catholicism.

Yes, that could be the case. He was convinced the Pope was the "anti Christ" and that Catholicism was an evil religion......quite bizarre beliefs for a man of the cloth.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a great preacher.

He maybe should have just kept it that way.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes, that could be the case. He was convinced the Pope was the "anti Christ" and that Catholicism was an evil religion......quite bizarre beliefs for a man of the cloth.

I am not sure it is. Often religious folk are the least tolerant of other religions it seems. The one true faith and all that....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I am not sure it is. Often religious folk are the least tolerant of other religions it seems. The one true faith and all that....

At the extreme end perhaps, but any Christians doing this would be totally misinterpreting Jesus's message of course which was one of love and tolerance at all times.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    At the extreme end perhaps, but any Christians doing this would be totally misinterpreting Jesus's message of course which was one of love and tolerance at all times.

True, the kind of people that are like this are often the ones for whom religion is NOT about the love and the tolerance but a stick to bang there own drum with.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    He was a great preacher.

He maybe should have just kept it that way.

We wouldn't have such an ineffective government here at the moment in NI if our current first minister had such a good relationship with his counterpart as Paisley had.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame he couldn't have lived to see a Yes vote next week.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I have heard many accounts that he was a very nice guy to talk to. I will leave it at that.

When I owned a small bookshop many years ago (far from N. Ireland) Ian Paisley walked in. I was out but I had a young student looking after the shop. Although she was a worldy, no nonsense, character she was overwhelmed by Ian Paisley's charm and friendliness. He found a book (religious) on my shelves which he said he had been looking for for years and left that message for me.

That was quite thoughtful of him. He didn't know me or my assistant and it was unlikely our paths would cross again, but he left behind an image of someone who was better than that often portrayed in the media.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paisley mellowed by the end of his life, but I can still hear his voice. :o
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Paisley mellowed by the end of his life, but I can still hear his voice. :o

<font size="7"> SO CAN I</font>
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May god have mercy on his cold cold soul ... He made N.Ireland a very cold place for Catholics and he should never be forgiven for what he did to turn Belfast/Dublin relations septic in the 60's... If there is a just god he might have a tough day in front on him.

He will always be seen in an awful light by the people of the republic - and rightly so.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rip. :(