Options

Quality of the Beano

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Dandy gets only 10,000 readers! That's why it had a major revamp last October, a last throw of the dice. If it fails (thankfully, it looks like it isn't going to) then it'd end up merging with The Beano.

By the way, don't forget that those US comics sell in a lot more countries than Beano does. 40,000 is probably MORE than Batman or X-Men sell in the UK.
  • Options
    craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has happened with this comic recently?

I remember when it was good in the 90s, a little corny but readable, now its just seems very silly and some of the artwork is awful.

Has it got worse or have I just got older?

Its definately changed (partly due to political correctness)
    Ive read it all my life since the 70's and now Im 38 and the wife still buys me Dandy Beano Dennis the menace and bash st kids annuals every year but the artwork and general humour are of such a poor standard I think its a tradition thats going to stop.
    Actually in the 70's and early 80's it was so popular that it never used to carry any adverts, I guess the sales revenue alone was enough to sustain the comic
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigy132 wrote: »
    Its definately changed (partly due to political correctness)
    Ive read it all my life since the 70's and now Im 38 and the wife still buys me Dandy Beano Dennis the menace and bash st kids annuals every year but the artwork and general humour are of such a poor standard I think its a tradition thats going to stop.
    Actually in the 70's and early 80's it was so popular that it never used to carry any adverts, I guess the sales revenue alone was enough to sustain the comic
    What people call 'political correctness' is often just a change in social mores. While today's kids might take some weird and wacky elements of the comic strips in their stride, the idea of a child being constantly threatened with violence from parents and teachers - without these people being flagged as abusers - would seem utterly bizarre in the modern world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly, the Dennis and Bash Street annuals are already history. And Craigy's right, they didn't have outside advertising until 1988.
  • Options
    craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What people call 'political correctness' is often just a change in social mores. While today's kids might take some weird and wacky elements of the comic strips in their stride, the idea of a child being constantly threatened with violence from parents and teachers - without these people being flagged as abusers - would seem utterly bizarre in the modern world.

Yeah the term 'political correctness' was the wrong way to describe it - the way you have summed it up is what I meant
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah-in the 70s, when I used to read the Beano, Dad's were forever thrashing kids with slippers, and teachers were forever thrashing pupils with canes!

I loved the Beano in the 70s-but haven't read a copy since 1979, except when I saw a copy once in 1998. I noticed there were much fewer comic strips than before, and that Dennis the Menace and Bash Street Kids were two of the few old strips still running. Neither of them, nor the rest of the comic, seemed half as lively and fun as it used to in the 70s. If I recall rightly, though, the Numskulls had imported as a comic strip. They were originally in Beezer in the 70s, and I loved them-so I was quite glad they were still running.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I have been collecting Beano Annuals all my life and still buy one every year. the oldest one I have is from 1960 and I have every one since then apart from two.

I still read it every year, but it's not as funny or as good as it was in the 60s and 70s.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Rodgers;50429346]Sometimes I wonder why can't they ever reprint past comica and annuals, with everything the same?

What a great idea. not a matter of nostalgia ,the writing was far better in the early Beanos.
    I read the Beano and Dandy every week
    + the annuals.from late 50s to mid 60s.
    I noticed i wasn't enjoying them as much as i got older, i thought nothing of it.
    there was a tv program a few years back on the main writer for the comic, he had a falling out with the Owner and left he comic.turns out i was not alone in thinking the comic was going downhill.
    Interviews show lots of kids thought the comic was not as good when he left.
    The early editions are considered the best period by the fans of the comic.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Sadly, the Dennis and Bash Street annuals are already history. And Craigy's right, they didn't have outside advertising until 1988.

Are they? There was a Dennis & Gnasher Annual published in 2010!:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandy gets only 10,000 readers! That's why it had a major revamp last October, a last throw of the dice. If it fails (thankfully, it looks like it isn't going to) then it'd end up merging with The Beano.

By the way, don't forget that those US comics sell in a lot more countries than Beano does. 40,000 is probably MORE than Batman or X-Men sell in the UK.

Also, while Batman, Green Lantern and a couple of the X-Men titles do indeed sell very well, they are about the only US comis to reach those figures. A lot of second and third tier titles struggle to reach 15, 000 and even Superman isn't currently doing that much better.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, while Batman, Green Lantern and a couple of the X-Men titles do indeed sell very well, they are about the only US comis to reach those figures. A lot of second and third tier titles struggle to reach 15, 000 and even Superman isn't currently doing that much better.
    I posted the 100,000 figure as an example of how badly certain American titles are performing. The point I was making was that the comics seem to exist out of tradition while the film and TV adaptations have become the true mass-market versions of those titles.

The Beano and Dandy seriously need some successful spin-offs to prop them up and justify the existence of the ongoing titles.
  • Options
    AidanpAidanp Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the continued popularity of the Beano - its humour is dated ( see the Simpsons & Viz ) and the characters wear clothes fromn the '50s.
    Is it a visual 'comfort food ' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are they? There was a Dennis & Gnasher Annual published in 2010!:confused:
    It was the last one. There's no 2012 edition advertised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I recall rightly, though, the Numskulls had imported as a comic strip. They were originally in Beezer in the 70s, and I loved them-so I was quite glad they were still running.
    Beezer closed in September 1993, the Numskulls moved to Beano two months later. It's still in the comic today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidanp wrote: »
    I don't get the continued popularity of the Beano - its humour is dated ( see the Simpsons & Viz ) and the characters wear clothes fromn the '50s.

Given the average age of Beano readers, I don't think most of them consider it dated. It isn't aimed at the audience who read Viz!
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my 9 year old loves it, as do lots of his friends. So it must be doing something right!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son likes it too, dont buy it regularly though....always buy the annuals though, along with Oor Wullie/Broons.....braw. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the characters wear clothes from the '50s.
    Actually, most don't. The only characters who wear short trousers are Dennis and the Bash Street Kids. Ball Boy does too, but his are justified as they're football shorts. Dennis has an in-universe reason for keeping his - his knobbly knees wear holes through long trousers. Bash Street has had the same artist since 1962 (so they've hardly changed in 49 years!). I expect they'll be updated when Dave Sutherland stops drawing them (which will probably be when he dies, can't see him retiring).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    That made me smile as my mum does the same!! :D

My collection probably goes back to the 1970s when I used to read it as well, you certainly couldn't see Dennis getting the slipper these days!!

As an aside, I went to school with Leo Baxendale's son, Mark. Leo was the original creator of Little Plum, Minnie the Minx, and The Bash Street Kids so Mark was, by default, very cool at our school! :cool:

Martin also drew for comics! He drew "Deadly Headley" for Buster and "Dick Twerpin" for Cheeky! He drew in his dad's style, but so did Tom Paterson, David Parkins and Colin Whittock.
    Anyway, just to fill you in with a bit of info, Tom Paterson worked at the Fleetway comics "Buster" and "Whizzer & Chips" drawing strips like Sweeney Toddler, Robert's Robot and Watford Gapp. DC Thomson, who had a better quality of comics, grabbed him and got him to draw Calamity James for The Beano. Since then he has not become just a popular artist, but a comics legend, drawing strips like Fiddle O Diddle, Brain Duane, Fred's Bed and even getting to draw the main characters Dennis the Menace and Minnie the Minx. His style is immediately recognizable and features things like Squelchy Things, long noses, things written on them like "Wash here" and "Don't come, Dracula-I've got garlic sarnies!" and smelly socks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, most don't. The only characters who wear short trousers are Dennis and the Bash Street Kids. Ball Boy does too, but his are justified as they're football shorts. Dennis has an in-universe reason for keeping his - his knobbly knees wear holes through long trousers. Bash Street has had the same artist since 1962 (so they've hardly changed in 49 years!). I expect they'll be updated when Dave Sutherland stops drawing them (which will probably be when he dies, can't see him retiring).

Well done, "Digi". It's great when someone corrects a stupid stereotypicalization of comics!
  • Options
    Forum Member

To be honest, Aiden, The Beano has never been about keeping up-to date- it's always been about being funny, and that's what it is (well, at least up to about 2010. The humour is rather dull now, but that doesnt mark me down as one of the "Comics arent what they used to be" club, I am a massive fan of The Dandy, since the relaunch last October.)
    And also, you say the humour is dated, (compared to Viz which is an adult comic anyway. But who cares in this context?) The Dandy's is not, their humour is very bright and new in strips like "Mr Meecher, the Uncool Teacher" and "The Bogies" but that's just some of them, another example of people thinking children's comics solely consist of The Beano. That's doing them an injustice, there's a far better comic out there called The Dandy.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I stopped buying the Beano in 2005/2006 but I always found it quite funny when I bought it. Maybe it has changed recently though. I always thought it was strange why the Bash Street Kids never really changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is very dull now.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . A lot of second and third tier titles struggle to reach 15, 000 and even Superman isn't currently doing that much better.

Action Comics in November is estimated to have sold over 130K.

American comics might not be selling great, but the vast majority, especially the ones with known characters, are selling much better than 15K.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I stopped buying the Beano in 2005/2006 but I always found it quite funny when I bought it. Maybe it has changed recently though. I always thought it was strange why the Bash Street Kids never really changed.
    The editor left almost exactly a year ago. The new editor made some changes, including removing the fan club page, giving Gnasher his own strip again (it had stopped in 2009) and adding more reprints (Pup Parade, Number 13, The Germs, and Retro Beano, which reprints classic material from the archives). Bash Street won't be modernised as long as the current artist remains, David Sutherland celebrates 50 years of drawing it next year.