Options

Thank you Rupert Murdoch for Sky/ Murdoch and Sky Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Please tell me that you didn't take what i said in a literal sense?

without sky we would still have 5 channels as ITV and the BBC would hate to lose its power,
    as itv tried to do with on/itv digital but they failed
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Rupert and James are two fantastic and supperb men, who have done the best thing thats ever happened to TV. THAT'S SKY DIGITAL.:D:D
    Ian.
  • Options
    ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good thread.

Rupert Murdoch gets a lot of unjust hate, he is an inspiration and should be admired. This man started with one newspaper in Australia and now controls the majority of the worlds media, amazing.

People in this country seem to hate anyone successful, I guess its jealously.

Rupert Murdoch is a huge success and should be revered not hated.

Haters gonna hate I suppose.

This. He is an inspiration, I wish I am successful as him in the future. He should be revered; Not hated because he is successful.
  • Options
    jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Rupert Murdoch gets a lot of unjust hate, he is an inspiration and should be admired. This man started with one newspaper in Australia and now controls the majority of the worlds media, amazing.

How the hell is one man's company controlling the majority of the world's media a good thing?
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    jamiec21 wrote: »
    How the hell is one man's company controlling the majority of the world's media a good thing?
    He's a fantastic man, alot of people respect and love him for what he's done for broadcasting. Sky's the best TV in the world and i respect Rupert and James for all that they've done in the world of broadcasting.:D:D
    Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its a measure of his success, people should aspire to be like him instead of hating because he's done well for himself.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    without sky we would still have 5 channels as ITV and the BBC would hate to lose its power,
    as itv tried to do with on/itv digital but they failed

BSB was created and launched without Sky needing to push them. BSB started with five channels, doubling the number of channels in the UK, and would have grown if Sky had never existed.
    Murdoch certainly had a huge affect on the UK but to suggest that without him we would have just stayed at five channels forever is clearly rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not true for a start. News Corp is big, but it is not "the majority of the worlds media" in print or TV.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a measure of his success, people should aspire to be like him instead of hating because he's done well for himself.

I can't say I aspire to be a hateful old crone, thanks.
  • Options
    jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Wow. Ignorance truly is bliss.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This. Charnam and his "love for the BBC". In fact if that user was in charge of the BBC- I would be worried for auntie.
    ive said many times I would destory BBC support if I was left in charge of the BBC.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    BSB was created and launched without Sky needing to push them. BSB started with five channels, doubling the number of channels in the UK, and would have grown if Sky had never existed.
    Murdoch certainly had a huge affect on the UK but to suggest that without him we would have just stayed at five channels forever is clearly rubbish.

Sky tried to create a UK network in 1986 by applying for a license to the IBA this was rejected and they sent out bids for someone else and an ITV consortium won this as no other company was interested by default they won all available licenses.
    BSB and the IBA said the country would need no more than 5 channels for the rest of time.

sky changed this idea by pushing a system where expansion was in the systems very design.

bsb had a double satellite system that was expensive and hard to expand
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    It's not true for a start. News Corp is big, but it is not "the majority of the worlds media" in print or TV.

...and it's not a 'one man company'. It's a corportion and anyone can buy News Corp shares on the US stockmarket.

In fact, the Murdoch family own less than half of the shares.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    ive said many times I would destory BBC support if I was left in charge of the BBC.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You hate the BBC now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You hate the BBC now?
    apparntly its crucail that the BBC carry soprt to enjoy public support, and well BBC Sport would not be safe in my hands, so it would loose support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparntly its crucail that the BBC carry soprt to enjoy public support, and well BBC Sport would not be safe in my hands, so it would loose support.

What else?

One of the reasons, why I am willing to pay my licence fee- is because of BBC sports. their F1 coverage, masters coverage, French open, (last year - world cup, before that olympics) as well as other sporting events) the BBC's coverage is amazing.

For coverage, BBC, Sky,then ITV.

You hate the BBC now, (before sticking up for them since you had some weird illogical reasons), you hate sky... what else do you hate?

You want to axe sports? Why?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't stick to one channel or organisation.

I'm the same, I watch whatever show or channel interests me (despite my username).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What else?

One of the reasons, why I am willing to pay my licence fee- is because of BBC sports. their F1 coverage, masters coverage, French open, (last year - world cup, before that olympics) as well as other sporting events) the BBC's coverage is amazing.

For coverage, BBC, Sky,then ITV.

You hate the BBC now, (before sticking up for them since you had some weird illogical reasons), you hate sky... what else do you hate?

You want to axe sports? Why?
    what else? is destorying BBC Sport not enough? well I would also make the BBC much more competitive in the business of comission from indepedent profit making production company, which would not please some in the industry.

Also on sport, I have previously siad that I think its innapporaite that the BBC provided even basic (sports news type) coverage of sports where they are trying to get off the crown jewels list, so they can go pay.

In a move that which would get mixecd reception I would also invest more in BBC 3.
    I'm the same, I watch whatever show or channel interests me (despite my username).
    shockingly I watch channel that are not BBC as well, I watch a fair amount of Channel 5 for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what else? is destorying BBC Sport not enough? well I would also make the BBC much more competitive in the business of comission from indepedent profit making production company, which would not please some in the industry.

Also on sport, I have previously siad that I think its innapporaite that the BBC provided even basic (sports news type) coverage of sports where they are trying to get off the crown jewels list, so they can go pay.

In a move that which would get mixecd reception I would also invest more in BBC 3.

shockingly I watch channel that are not BBC as well, I watch a fair amount of Channel 5 for example.

BBC Sport axe- your not serious? I think your being stupid frankly.
    I think the BBC excels in many areas - one of which is sports.
    In regards to BBC 3- (I wouldn't axe it since I do on occasion watch it). It is a channel aimed at me. I mainly watch BBC 3 for family guy anyway.
    More investment in BBC 3- no. Further investment into BBC 2 or BBC4 perhaps. I would make BBC2 to be BBC version of HBO/Showcase/Starz...

I suppose you do watch ch5- someone has to watch the Vanessa Show.

Anyway this whole BBC talk is clearly steering from the thread. Rupert Murdoch is a genius for bringing Sky to Britain. Back to appreciating Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol I watch the CBS copshows on Channel 5 those things are like crack to me.

I never said I would axe BBC Sports, but in the long run I would destory it.
    I struggle with finding a roll for BBC 2, but if BBC 4 was to axe drama and comedy, then cleary a role similar to what you suggest is possible, but that would not come cheap, which is a problem at the moment. I would also be seen to be inconsitent on star salarys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol I watch the CBS copshows on Channel 5 those things are like crack to me.

I never said I would axe BBC Sports, but in the long run I would destory it.
    I struggle with finding a roll for BBC 2, but if BBC 4 was to axe drama and comedy, then cleary a role similar to what you suggest is possible, but that would not come cheap, which is a problem at the moment. I would also be seen to be inconsitent on star salarys.

I love CSI- it is done to death on ch5. There are many sky channel that showcase CBS copshows.

I would never destroy rather invest more in it.
    BBC2- should be HBO.
    Star salaries- I think a swinging axe is needed.

THOMO wrote: »
    Rupert and James are two fantastic and supperb men, who have done the best thing thats ever happened to TV. THAT'S SKY DIGITAL.:D:D
    Ian.

Rupert and James are true Babes- bringing Sky into our lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky tried to create a UK network in 1986 by applying for a license to the IBA this was rejected and they sent out bids for someone else and an ITV consortium won this as no other company was interested by default they won all available licenses.
    BSB and the IBA said the country would need no more than 5 channels for the rest of time.

sky changed this idea by pushing a system where expansion was in the systems very design.

bsb had a double satellite system that was expensive and hard to expand

The IBA may have thought that five satellite channels were enough, but that was a restriction they imposted and would very likely have changed.

The BBC tried to launch a satellite service long before, but the government told them they could only do so if they paid for their own satellites!:eek:

And I certainly remember other bidders for the satellite licence, not just BSB being the only applicants.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Charnham, you are just so unrealistic and so child-like in what you say that i cannt take you even remotely serious! Thank god you are not the DG of the BBC or anywhere in broadcasting for that matter as your idea of a broadcaster is something quite odd!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Charnham, you are just so unrealistic and so child-like in what you say that i cannt take you even remotely serious! Thank god you are not the DG of the BBC or anywhere in broadcasting for that matter as your idea of a broadcaster is something quite odd!!!

This,
    Axing sports. Really?
    Not to forget that bizzare thread on Sky.

Anyway.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lWXrpwC28yU/TGPxhRB6GcI/AAAAAAAAHu0/Vr27Ko3fkb8/s400/rupert-murdoch-thinking.jpg

His thinking in the late 80s provided Sky. Britain appreciates this.