Comments

• Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I speak three and understand four .
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    English, Mayunmar, French, German, Latin and my Mrs is currently teaching me Hebrew.

Although if I wake up in somewhere that they speak these languages I won't starve as I can just about get by in Spanish, Russian and Mandarin.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    English, French, German, Latin and my Mrs is currently teaching me Hebrew.

Although if I wake up in somewhere that they speak these languages I won't starve as I can just about get by in Spanish, Russian and Mandarin.

Wow.

My french is rusty- know enough to get by. A bit better than "rusty" is Spanish- know enough to speak, understand, write and read it.

Traditional Arabic- read it. Cannot speak, write or understand it.

Urdu/Hindi and Punjabi- speak and understand only.

I always wanted to learn Mandarin though.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    My mum is a linguist, but none of that talent filtered through to me, I've always struggled with foreign languages. My sister though has picked up on it, and can speak about 4 or five languages, spending a year in Spain during Uni. - however on the flip side, I can program in 10+ programming languages. Anyway, I've made my irrelevant point. :)
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 40% through English...
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 (almost).

In fact, 2. I am fluent English and also almost fluent Scots. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English (of course) and Irish is about it. I also have some French but it's very rusty.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always loved languages.

I grew up in a very bilingual part of Wales, and all of my primary and a lot of my secondary schooling was in Welsh. I used to be totally fluent, but I've not lived in Wales for 20 years, so I'm really rusty. I can understand it fine when I see it on telly and when I go back there, but I struggle to speak it now.

My French is fluent - I spent a year and a half living in France and Switzerland in my early 20s, and I've still stayed pretty fluent. My German was pretty fluent, but I learnt it quite intensively and then haven't used it in about 6 years now, so it's rusty. When I went back there last year I was fine, and could cope with most conversations, but it took a while to come back to me. My Spanish used to be ok, but it was weaker than my German. I haven't used it in ages - I can mostly understand Nadal talking about tennis, but it's not easy, and I would be embarassed to try speaking much.

When I was a kid (about 7 I think) I lived on a kibbutz in Israel for about 6 months. Apparently I picked up Hebrew really quickly and was chattering away to the other kids and understanding school lessons. However, I've totally forgotten all of that, apart from how to count.

I find that my knowledge of Spanish and French means that I can read basic Italian (menus, signs, that sort of thing) and my German knowledge means that I can do the same with Dutch. I wouldn't be able to read a newspaper or anything with many sentences, but I can certainly decipher a lot of words.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    French,german,spanish I can read,write and speak.
    Italian I can read and speak a little
    Dutch I can read
    Portugese I can read and write
    Catalan I can read.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me english, the boss french,spanish,greek,russian and probably a few others as she seems to just look at a language and be able to understand it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Able to speak, write and listen to English, Arabic (from University), Spanish and French.

Partial to Italian and want to learn German. Might use Rosetta Stone for that.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, I forgot that. I'm also fluent in Mayunmar too. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you speak, read or write?
    Two - English and Gaelic. The later I can speak and read fluently but my written is poor as it was something only really spoke at home and with family etc. It was hardly 'taught' in School.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    English
    American English
    Sarcasm :D

I also get by with GCSE Spanish, Latin and Welsh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    English (native)
    German (native)
    French, Spanish, and Hindi--speak all three fluently

Studied Arabic at university for a few years but unfortunately it just didn't take. I can write it beautifully but I can't speak it for crap. The grammar's just too hard.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    English. Who needs anything else. If you can't be understood in other countries you shout, roll your eyes and point, right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    English (obviously)
    French - to probably a GCSE level -though understanding spoken French is hard, they speak too fast! Haven't really learnt any more since school.
    Japanese - really trying to learn my verb endings (there's like 10 million) then I will focus on vocabulary. I struggle with writing the most as I can't recall kanji symbols too well (though I can write kana without a second thought!)
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mwaussie wrote: »
    English (native)
    German (native)
    French, Spanish, and Hindi--speak all three fluently

Studied Arabic at university for a few years but unfortunately it just didn't take. I can write it beautifully but I can't speak it for crap. The grammar's just too hard.

I can only read traditional arabic. Can not understand it at all. I can't speak or write it as well.

Hindi- means you also speak urdu fluently as well. loool

I normally don't speak urdu/hindi or punjabi unless I need to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    English

And very poor Italian :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    English, Mayunmar, French, German, Latin and my Mrs is currently teaching me Hebrew.

How does one speak Latin exactly? :p
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Speak: English. French. Russian. German. Latin.
    Read, as in can decipher the letters and glimpse occasional words: Arabic (MSA). Old Church Slavonic.
    Learned for a holiday and wish I had time to do more: Spanish.
    Used to know some but now reduced to vestigial fragments: Mandarin Chinese. Egyptian Hieroglyphs.
    Would not starve in: Italian. Urdu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hannahjay wrote: »

Like this
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    hannahjay wrote: »

Marcus Ginantonicus
    Crismus Bonus
    Nefarious Purpus

Read Asterix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I can only read traditional arabic. Can not understand it at all. I can't speak or write it as well.

Hindi- means you also speak urdu fluently as well. loool

I normally don't speak urdu/hindi or punjabi unless I need to.

Haha quite right. Though I can't read Urdu--the script differs just enough from Persian and Arabic writing to make it illegible to me.

Would love to learn Punjabi properly...most of what I know of it comes from films.