Options

Chris Huhne - CPS Decision

occyoccy Posts: 65,148
Forum Member
✭✭
The energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne will learn on Friday 3rd Feb his fate over his former wife accepting penality points on his behalf. Obviously if the CPS decide to press charges then he will have to resign and be out of the cabinet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16859101

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    The energy and climate change secretary Chris Huhne will learn on Friday 3rd Feb his fate over his former wife accepting penality points on his behalf. Obviously if the CPS decide to press charges then he will have to resign and be out of the cabinet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16859101

The announcement will be at 10 a.m. tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Robinson thinks charges may not be brought forward : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16854310

I quote
    He has always denied any wrongdoing and he and his legal team have always been confident that he will avoid prosecution.

Some think that the fact that a news conference has been called suggests that charges will be brought. I disagree.

Guido would not be happy if that is true, for sure, honestly.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care. I think it's such a ridiculous thing to care about. I'd say good luck to him for showing initiative.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    How much time and money has been wasted by Essex police on this trivial case - just because it is a big political case.

Particularly when you bear in mind Essex is cutting one in ten of its police officers (including 25% of its senior officers) and having to make nearly £50m of cuts in the next three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14253249

I also saw today the Met has 30 officers dedicated to working on the Madeleine McCann case - which cost £2m last year. No doubt jetting off to sunny Portugal regularly. I am sad for the McCann family but (a) this occurred in Portugal and (b) it seems totally disproportionate when hundreds of kids go missing in London each year of whom many are never found.

At a time of deep police cuts shouldn't the police be tackling real crime in their own areas - not chasing cases because of the media interest?
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has more than a whiff of politics. The investigation was as a result of a complaint by Labour MP Simon Danczuk.

I can think of virtually nowhere in the democratic world that this would raise more than an eyebrow. I'm no fan of the slimy Mr H, but it's ridiculous how much time has been spent.

What happened to the long overdue proposal to raise the national speed limit, btw?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    This has more than a whiff of politics. The investigation was as a result of a complaint by Labour MP Simon Danczuk.

I can think of virtually nowhere in the democratic world that this would raise more than an eyebrow. I'm no fan of the slimy Mr H, but it's ridiculous how much time has been spent.

What happened to the long overdue proposal to raise the national speed limit, btw?

Of course it has the whiff of politics because whether or not he was lying is a political matter and he will not be fit to hold a ministerial post if he has lied. And if he has it will be up to his constituents as to whether he remains an M.P.

If the CPS say that there is unsufficient evidence then the rumours will go on.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just see the headlines.

Chris Huhne speeding out of the cabinet.

What do points make - The cost of your job...
  • Options
    Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it is a bit of a witch hunt. I also thought is was way over the top to moan about MP's who fiddled their expenses to the tune of a tin of cat food or a bath plug. Its not as if any of them were running a string of hookers from a flat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it is a bit of a witch hunt. I also thought is was way over the top to moan about MP's who fiddled their expenses to the tune of a tin of cat food or a bath plug. Its not as if any of them were running a string of hookers from a flat

No they were just stealing from us. It isn't the amount it's the dishonesty that matters.
  • Options
    LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feb 3 will be interesting.

If they don't charge him, his wife will look stupid.
    If they do charge him, the Lib Dems will look stupid.

But charge him they must.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenka wrote: »
    Feb 3 will be interesting.

If they don't charge him, his wife will look stupid.
    If they do charge him, the Lib Dems will look stupid.

But charge him they must.

His wife (ex-wife?) doesn't strike me as the type who enjoys being made to look stupid. At all.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think people have gone to jail for this, it's perverting the course of justice.
  • Options
    ThePhotographerThePhotographer Posts: 3,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    How much time and money has been wasted by Essex police on this trivial case - just because it is a big political case.

Particularly when you bear in mind Essex is cutting one in ten of its police officers (including 25% of its senior officers) and having to make nearly £50m of cuts in the next three years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14253249

I also saw today the Met has 30 officers dedicated to working on the Madeleine McCann case - which cost £2m last year. No doubt jetting off to sunny Portugal regularly. I am sad for the McCann family but (a) this occurred in Portugal and (b) it seems totally disproportionate when hundreds of kids go missing in London each year of whom many are never found.

At a time of deep police cuts shouldn't the police be tackling real crime in their own areas - not chasing cases because of the media interest?

This is not trivial.

Like a lot of matters it is not the initial act, but the actual cover up that does the most damage. If true, why couldn't Huhne take the points?

At the end of the day the man is a politician and a member of the government. He should not be covering up or perverting the course of justice.

I don't want anyone in government who acts in the way Mr Huhne is alleged to of acted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is not trivial.

Like a lot of matters it is not the initial act, but the actual cover up that does the most damage. If true, why couldn't Huhne take the points?

At the end of the day the man is a politician and a member of the government. He should not be covering up or perverting the course of justice.

I don't want anyone in government who acts in the way Mr Huhne is alleged to of acted.

I am from Essex.

I want my money spent on tackling real crime i.e. robbery, violent crime and anti social behaviour which blight peoples lives in Essex and other areas - not on who committed a speeding offence on a 3 lane motorway in the countryside in the middle of the night when the M11 is empty. That whole motorway from Stansted to London is little more than a money making racket anyway in terms of unnecessarily low speed limits etc!

Essex police has at least 40 unsolved murder cases including child murders - shouldn't resources be focused on working on those?

http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/8151892.39_unsolved_murders_in_cold_case_file/

So I say again - what a waste of money!

PS I also dare say the cost of this investigation might pay the salaries for some of the 400 police officer posts Essex are getting rid of in the next two years.
  • Options
    MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mr Danczuk is not the only politician indulging in this sort of behaviour. Scandal used to be about getting caught with your pants down, but now getting your opponents thrown in jail seems to be the new currency in British politics. Destroy them personally as well as professionally!

On TV once, I saw an MP who cited a recent case where a councillor was in jail and bankrupt because his opponent had sued over campaign leaflets. But the MP had no problem with all the litigation that's going on, he wanted to enable it to happen in a different way, by allowing Partys to be sued instead of individuals.

Although the slimy Mr Huhne may have got his just deserts from his wife after the way he treated her, it shows politicians are under threat of blackmail if every little minor fault from way back in their past can be used against them in this way. Let's face it, if Chris Huhne was on civvy street there's no way his position would be under threat by this.

If Huhne is charged, Cam and Clegg shouldn't sack Huhne, they should announce he can keep his job and instead they're going to sack incompetant ministers instead - (they could start with Lansley for instance), unlike the rest of us politicans almost never lose their job for being bad at it, just for falling foul of whatever "scandal" is in vogue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Danczuk is not the only politician indulging in this sort of behaviour. Scandal used to be about getting caught with your pants down, but now getting your opponents thrown in jail seems to be the new currency in British politics. Destroy them personally as well as professionally!

On TV once, I saw an MP who cited a recent case where a councillor was in jail and bankrupt because his opponent had sued over campaign leaflets. But the MP had no problem with all the litigation that's going on, he wanted to enable it to happen in a different way, by allowing Partys to be sued instead of individuals.

Although the slimy Mr Huhne may have got his just deserts from his wife after the way he treated her, it shows politicians are under threat of blackmail if every little minor fault from way back in their past can be used against them in this way. Let's face it, if Chris Huhne was on civvy street there's no way his position would be under threat by this.

If Huhne is charged, Cam and Clegg shouldn't sack Huhne, they should announce he can keep his job and instead they're going to sack incompetant ministers instead - (they could start with Lansley for instance), unlike the rest of us politicans almost never lose their job for being bad at it, just for falling foul of whatever "scandal" is in vogue.

If he is charged he will lose his ministerial post. This has already been announced. Whether he keeps his seat is up to his constituents.
  • Options
    Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I am from Essex.

I want my money spent on tackling real crime i.e. robbery, violent crime and anti social behaviour which blight peoples lives in Essex and other areas - not on who committed a speeding offence on a 3 lane motorway in the countryside in the middle of the night when the M11 is empty. That whole motorway from Stansted to London is little more than a money making racket anyway in terms of unnecessarily low speed limits etc!

Essex police has at least 40 unsolved murder cases including child murders - shouldn't resources be focused on working on those?

http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/8151892.39_unsolved_murders_in_cold_case_file/

So I say again - what a waste of money!

PS I also dare say the cost of this investigation might pay the salaries for some of the 400 police officer posts Essex are getting rid of in the next two years.

Which one are you in TOWIE :D
  • Options
    MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    If he is charged he will lose his ministerial post. This has already been announced. Whether he keeps his seat is up to his constituents.

It's not definate though is it? He won't have broken any rules. Apparently, if charged, Huhne want's to keep his job! That's so brassnecked it's funny!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which one are you in TOWIE :D

I don't live in Brentwood or Buckhurst Hill - so I will never appear in TOWIE. I couldn't afford all that fake tan for a start.:D

But I have driven up and down the M11 many times - which often has 40 or 50mph speed limits on a two or three lane motorway. Not to save lives of course - but to raise money from unsuspecting motorists!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whether he's being charged or not I would put money on the decision being leaked just in time for the evening news
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis Skinner managed to combine the phone hacking scandal and Huhne's alleged misdemeanor into one put down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfkPeQ2tHnU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not definate though is it? He won't have broken any rules. Apparently, if charged, Huhne want's to keep his job! That's so brassnecked it's funny!:D

If he is charged he will lose his ministerial post. That's definite.
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    If he is charged he will lose his ministerial post. That's definite.
    Even his boss says so http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4078323/Nick-Clegg-warns-Chris-Huhne.html
  • Options
    LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    His wife (ex-wife?) doesn't strike me as the type who enjoys being made to look stupid. At all.

I stand corrected she is indeed the ex-wife. What annoys me is that the media whip up any small offence into such a frenzy.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    I think people have gone to jail for this, it's perverting the course of justice.

Quite right. Members of the public have been jailed for similar offences, so it's only right that hulne should be treated the same.
    I get the feeling the CPS are going to brush it aside.