Options

Will there ever be a showbiz icon as big as Marylin Monroe?

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    She comes across as being desperate to be remembered or to become an icon, trying to stay relevant for as long as she can without it becoming embarrassing. I'm sure she was hoping to become an actress in her later years, but as we know she can't act, so to stay relevant she has to continue with music. It's a shame she can't retire and enjoy her later years spending all the money she's made.

I think Madonna should either retire or slow right down in terms of tours/gigs. She should start enjoying the gigantic fortune that she's built up over the years. Sadly though, I think she'll carry on into her sixties.
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok, well the younger generation that don't listen to Madonna (well apart from the 120 million americans and billions more worldwide that watched her at the superbowl), still remember her image and life story too.

The Superbowl gets less than 100 million worldwide and most didn't tune in specifically to watch Madonna, but the American Football game that was going on in between her performance. :)
  • Options
    Tree-Of-LifeTree-Of-Life Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She comes across as being desperate to be remembered or to become an icon, trying to stay relevant for as long as she can without it becoming embarrassing. I'm sure she was hoping to become an actress in her later years, but as we know she can't act, so to stay relevant she has to continue with music. It's a shame she can't retire and enjoy her later years spending all the money she's made.

I think Madonna will know herself when she wants to step away from her superstar role, she has nothing left to prove as far as her body of work goes, she has avoided the horrible ravages of drugs that has plagued so many of her contemporaries (Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston), she hasn't found the true everlasting love, although there is still time, she is 53 and in this modern world that really isn't old at all.

I am sure her priorities have changed since she has become a mother of 4, but that drive and determination that took her from being a back up dancer auditionee on the mean streets of late 1970's New York to become one of the most famous people on earth is still alive and well, her new album is out as we speak, her 9th worldwide concert tour starts in a few months and I and millions of others are looking forward to the next chapter of her career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Superbowl gets less than 700 million worldwide and most didn't tune in specifically to watch Madonna, but the American Football game that was going on in between her performance. :)

I think you'll find the audience in the USA INCREASED during Madonna's performance, not to mention giving the world a spectacle and is without a doubt the most discussed superbowl performance probably ever, not to mention officially the most watched.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok, well the younger generation that don't listen to Madonna (well apart from the 120 million americans and billions more worldwide that watched her at the superbowl), still remember her image and life story too.

That's because she's alive and attention's being drawn to her. Madonna is iconic, but there'll also be quite a few other iconic people up to 500 years into the future as well. Madonna replaced someone who was iconic, as did Marilyn Monroe. For every 30 years or so that goes by, one iconic star (after they've died) gets replaced by someone who'll end up as iconic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find the audience in the USA INCREASED during Madonna's performance, not to mention giving the world a spectacle and is without a doubt the most discussed superbowl performance probably ever, not to mention officially the most watched.

She was given more time than most other acts, so she could perform a mini concert, rather than a couple of songs like singers in the past have done. Some of the footballers were concerned that they would lose motivation because the half time show was so long, so not everyone was happy about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was given more time than most other acts, so she could perform a mini concert, rather than a couple of songs like singers in the past have done. Some of the footballers were concerned that they would lose motivation because the half time show was so long, so not everyone was happy about it.

When you are the biggest star on earth then these allowances have to be made. Does anyone outside of the USA actually know who won the Superbowl this year? Or can anyone name a single footballer who was playing?:confused: But everyone remembers Madonna,:)

114 million Americans seemed to tune in, so it can't have been that bad, along with the hundreds and hundreds of millions of Youtube viewers who for the solid majority have heaped positive appraise.

Infact I am off to watch the perfomance again on Youtube just before I go to sleep. Nite :)
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all her 'reinventions' there's nothing original, everything's just totally derivative. Monroe, femme fatale. S&M, cowgirl, prostitute, religious rebel.....she's done it all, and so have other artists.

Perhaps she really needs to break the mould and show the real Madonna Ciccone, but I don't think the world would like that very much somehow - it's probably too, too boring, so she just trades off the backs of others, sensationalising as she goes. :yawn: :sleep:
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna will never retire - she will always have some project on the go. She is not the sort of person who will sit around relaxing and smelling the flowers.

Middle age is a difficult time for a singer as you are no longer young. She could escape the limelight for a few years to concentrate on something else and then return. I remember seeing Marlene Dietrich on TV once singing when she was pretty old an everyone saying how amazing she was. I can see Madonna still singing at the age of 70 and why shouldn't she if she wants to? People who are fans will lap it up. Non fans can just choose to ignore her.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, she's called Madonna, her body of work and her female empowerment has cemented her status above Monroe's. Monroe was a victim, Madonna isn't. She's a strong, intelligent, independent woman who has given females the world over a voice.

This. We have our new icon, shes alive and widely mocked (esp amongst some of the younger generations who dont recall her heyday)

However- history will out! Shes an icon already, some dont realise it....
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know some teenagers have never listened to any of Madonna's music and don't want to? They see her as an old woman who is desperately clinging on to fame, they don't relate to her at all.

Everyone eventually fades from memory, unless they have done remarkable things or become legends, like Cleopatra, Boudica, Marie Antionette, Queen Elizabeth I. I'm not sure Madonna will be remembered in 500 years, do you?

Of course a 15 yr old would struggle to relate to a person in their 50's.

But the people they DO listen to: Gaga, Katy Perry, Beyonce etc ARE largely influenced by Madonna. Thats her legacy. All the pop icons of this generation owe something to her legacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    This. We have our new icon, shes alive and widely mocked (esp amongst some of the younger generations who dont recall her heyday)

However- history will out! Shes an icon already, some dont realise it....

Future icons will cause her iconic status to fade years after she's gone. Just like Marilyn's iconic status is slowly fading decades after her death, so will Madonna's decades after her death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what she'd have been like now if she had lived, maybe like Zsa Zsa Gabor?

She would have been like Elizabeth Taylor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a discussion on here about 'icons' quite recently. It really is a word that gets bandied around too easily - and when you start talking about Janet Jackson being an icon, it really dimishes the meaning of the word.

James Dean, Bogart, Monroe, Garland, Elvis ... Janet Jackson. It really doesn't work does it?
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the title or the tune of anything Janet Jackson has ever recorded. She was only famous because of Michael and her family. No iconic status deserved there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's interesting is that MM wasn't even very original, apparently she based her look on a slightly older sex symbol of the time. I can't remember her name but she isn't remotely famous now. Yet it was Marilyn who really captured the public's imagination. She wouldn't be such an icon if she were still alive though, look at Brigitte Bardot. People resent her for not being beautiful anymore.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    That is what real fame is.

We can only compare Madonna and Monroe's fame after Madonna's been dead and buried for 50 years. If you then ask teenagers who she is and they can still remember her and can name her songs, we'll know who's more famous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am absolutely sure Madonna will be remembered in 500 years time, even more so than any of the previous females you mentioned. As long as electronic media exists Madonna will still be remembered, her career examined and her legacy studied.

*LOL*
    How is Madonna even in the same league as Cleopatra, Boudica, Marie Antionette or Queen Elizabeth I?
    She is not a historical figure, she's a contemporary one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Madonna will never retire - she will always have some project on the go. She is not the sort of person who will sit around relaxing and smelling the flowers.

We can but hope. She's becoming a sad Cher right now in her fishnets with her bum hanging out. Give it a rest already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    We can only compare Madonna and Monroe's fame after Madonna's been dead and buried for 50 years. If you then ask teenagers who she is and they can still remember her and can name her songs, we'll know who's more famous.

I bet there aren't many people today that can name any of Marilyn Monroe's films*.

It's the image that becomes the icon not the quality of the work or the longevity or even the popularity. It is something undefinable.

* PS: I'm not suggesting Madonna is the icon that Marilyn Monroe is of course.
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I bet there aren't many people today that can name any of Marilyn Monroe's films*.

It's the image that becomes the icon not the quality of the work or the longevity or even the popularity. It is something undefinable.

BiB - You must be joking. :D

Some Like It Hot - one of the best comedies ever, if not the best.
    The Misfits - MM's last movie
    Seven Year Itch - iconic 'skirt' scene
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - with the iconic song Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend, and MM Oscar nominated for Best Actress
    Bus Stop - as the showgirl Cherie
    Prince and the Showgirl - with Laurence Olivier.

Just a few of her most famous films, and even if you don't remember their names, you can't forget MM's role in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »

Most of the general public (not fans) think fondly of Monroe, they think Madonna is not a nice person, so I don't understand why some assume she's going to be an icon when an icon is appreciated by all, not just fans. I think people who are a bit bitchy and determined will see her as an icon and role model, no-one else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the general public (not fans) think fondly of Monroe, they think Madonna is not a nice person, so I don't understand why some assume she's going to be an icon when an icon is appreciated by all, not just fans. I think people who are a bit bitchy and determined will see her as an icon and role model, no-one else.

Try not to belittle posters who have a different viewpoint of your own. Do not dare proclaim Madonna fans are 'bitchy' or determind, I'm sure Madonna has millions of shy and unassuming fans. Most of the general public would agree that sleeping with a married father of two doesn't make the mistress a very nice person, Madonna is respected as a very astute business woman who has complete control of her life, not a 'tradgic heroin' that died of a drugs overdose (big role model there) in her mid 30s. Sad and but ultimately pathetic.

Madonna is has has been the biggest star on earth for the last 20+ years, and her star power and chart certifications don't look ripe for obscurity either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try not to belittle posters who have a different viewpoint of your own. Do not dare proclaim Madonna fans are 'bitchy' or determind, I'm sure Madonna has millions of shy and unassuming fans. Most of the general public would agree that sleeping with a married father of two doesn't make the mistress a very nice person, Madonna is respected as a very astute business woman who has complete control of her life, not a 'tradgic heroin' that died of a drugs overdose (big role model there) in her mid 30s. Sad and but ultimately pathetic.

Madonna is has has been the biggest star on earth for the last 20+ years, and her star power and chart certifications don't look ripe for obscurity either.

I didn't mention fans, I was looking into the future as to who I thought would see her as an icon. Hope that helps you understand my last post.

Oh and just because someone is good at business doesn't stop people thinking they're vile individuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tudor6222 wrote: »
    BiB - You must be joking. :D

Some Like It Hot - one of the best comedies ever, if not the best.
    The Misfits - MM's last movie
    Seven Year Itch - iconic 'skirt' scene
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - with the iconic song Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend, and MM Oscar nominated for Best Actress
    Bus Stop - as the showgirl Cherie
    Prince and the Showgirl - with Laurence Olivier.

Just a few of her most famous films, and even if you don't remember their names, you can't forget MM's role in them.

(sigh) I do wish people would read posts before they go off one one.

Just for you, let me repeat I bet there aren't many people that can name many Marilyn Monroe films.

And - just to qualify that statement - her films were a question recently on Pointless and very few contestants were able to name any.

But her icon status is still huge.

PS: I have two books and three DVDs from your list of MM films.