British Olympic success - Tony Blair's legacy?

Kellie BKellie B Posts: 255
Forum Member
Interesting debate on BBC One just now with Steve Redgrave and Denise Lewis saying that the success of Team GB is Tony Blair's legacy due to the funding of sport Labour allowed and the plan that the Labour government put in place with British sport back in 2005 after we won the games.

What are people's thoughts on Tony being given credit?

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect they are saying this because of the current farce the Tories are involved in regarding funding of sport.

That said I do agree Labour deserve credit. The Coalition haven't been in power long enough to have had any impact on what has happened these past two weeks. Despite what Cameron would like people to think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kellie B wrote: »
    Interesting debate on BBC One just now with Steve Redgrave and Denise Lewis saying that the success of Team GB is Tony Blair's legacy due to the funding of sport Labour allowed and the plan that the Labour government put in place with British sport back in 2005 after we won the games.

What are people's thoughts on Tony being given credit?

You mean "allowed" as in "didn't abolish the lottery which John Major introduced"?
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be bad news if the success of the Olympics descended into a sordid political squabble between who could claim the most credit.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    The real winners are those athletes who won medals and maybe the kids that will be encouraged to get involved in sports after watching the games.

T
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lottery funding could have been re-directed to any one of dozens of non-sport causes.

Labour could have directed lottery money towards teaching disabled black lesbians how to get on in business.

For example the Conservatives have re-directed some of the TV Licence to fund broadband construction in rural areas. It could have been used to fund a grass-roots drama revival using subsidised studios made available for free to budding writers.

Would these Conservatives do anything that is socially of benefit? Not a chance. Cameron talked of Big Society but in no way was he sincere.

So Labour/Blair laid much of the foundation for the Olympics success. No doubt.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blair's legacy will always be Iraq.

The PM has confirmed funding by the exchequer guaranteed until 2014 and been extended to 2016.
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Tony Blair's legacy and all those involved in winning the Olympics for us but it's John Majors legacy for setting up the lottery in the first place.

But the success is down to the athletes and their trainers.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    It would be bad news if the success of the Olympics descended into a sordid political squabble between who could claim the most credit.

There are a whole load of politicians from both the Labour and Conservative parties who deserve credit for what's happened this past couple of weeks starting with John Major who set up the National Lottery. Regrettably, there have been two mindless, partisan threads in this forum claiming that it was only the Conservatives or Labour who were responsible and they're both wrong.

As for Blair's own personal legacy, he'll ultimately be only remembered for the lies and deceit over Iraq which left hundreds of valiant British service personnel either dead or maimed and which resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Lottery funding could have been re-directed to any one of dozens of non-sport causes.

Labour could have directed lottery money towards teaching disabled black lesbians how to get on in business.

For example the Conservatives have re-directed some of the TV Licence to fund broadband construction in rural areas. It could have been used to fund a grass-roots drama revival using subsidised studios made available for free to budding writers.

Would these Conservatives do anything that is socially of benefit? Not a chance. Cameron talked of Big Society but in no way was he sincere.

So Labour/Blair laid much of the foundation for the Olympics success. No doubt.

Thank you for this post. I haven't had such a good laugh for ages. You talk of Cameron lacking sincerity, and then you contrast him with Mr Tony (consultant for American investment bank) Blair.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

For example the Conservatives have re-directed some of the TV Licence to fund broadband construction in rural areas.....

Would these Conservatives do anything that is socially of benefit? Not a chance.

Is expanding the provision of broadband to rural areas not a social benefit? :confused:
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Whilst no-one denies that the athletes, coaches, administrators, volunteers and spectators are the real stars of the Olympics, we must mke sure that Cameron and his cronies do not take any of the credit from the people who deserve it. We all agree that John Major started the lottery, but it was the previous government who allowed more funding to be diverted to sport (and there were many complants about that if I remember properly). Perhaps the politician who shopuld take most credit is Seb Coe who has turned into a great sports adminitstaror and leader, despite his previously distasteful political views. BoJo, fo all his laughable antics and buffoonery must also be given credit for keeping out of the way and not ruining things, but it's a pity that Ken Livingstone has been given no credit as the London Mayor who got the games.

We don't need to be partisan to accept that without the buy-in of the Labour government of the time there would be no Olympics, but unfortunately some people on here can give no credit to anything the previous govrnment did, however worthy.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst no-one denies that the athletes, coaches, administrators, volunteers and spectators are the real stars of the Olympics, we must mke sure that Cameron and his cronies do not take any of the credit from the people who deserve it. We all agree that John Major started the lottery, but it was the previous government who allowed more funding to be diverted to sport (and there were many complants about that if I remember properly). Perhaps the politician who shopuld take most credit is Seb Coe who has turned into a great sports adminitstaror and leader, despite his previously distasteful political views. BoJo, fo all his laughable antics and buffoonery must also be given credit for keeping out of the way and not ruining things, but it's a pity that Ken Livingstone has been given no credit as the London Mayor who got the games.

We don't need to be partisan to accept that without the buy-in of the Labour government of the time there would be no Olympics, but unfortunately some people on here can give no credit to anything the previous govrnment did, however worthy.

Thanks for the laugh. Could you wave that red flag anymore harder.

To me the Olympics is nothing to do with either the tories or labour. Regardless of who was in power, the olympics came our way. trying to give credit to Labour is laughable at best I'm afraid, then trying to say it's a non-partisan opinion after all of that, is such a funny thing to say.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets just celebrate how well our Olympians have done, regardless if they have won medals or not. It does not matter how much money is involved it still depends on their dedication to see it through, money cannot buy that it can onle create the conditions.

The next stars are the volunteers who have got so much out of giving their time to make this Games a success and has encouraged them to do further voluntary work.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also makes me laugh that when certain posters thought and probably wanted the Games to be a disaster they were rushing to pin the blame on the Government. Now that we have had a successful Games they are worried to death that the Government may gain any popularity from it.
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Thanks for the laugh. Could you wave that red flag anymore harder.

To me the Olympics is nothing to do with either the tories or labour. Regardless of who was in power, the olympics came our way. trying to give credit to Labour is laughable at best I'm afraid, then trying to say it's a non-partisan opinion after all of that, is such a funny thing to say.

Amazing how you missed out me giving credit to Seb Coe, who is no way a Labour politician. All I'm saying is that without the buy in of the government at the time there would have been no Olympics. You only need to look back to the 1990 bid for the 1996 games in Manchester to see how important government buy in was.
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    It also makes me laugh that when certain posters thought and probably wanted the Games to be a disaster they were rushing to pin the blame on the Government. Now that we have had a successful Games they are worried to death that the Government may gain any popularity from it.

I'm sure you could point to some examples of that, but I can't recall any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing how you missed out me giving credit to Seb Coe, who is no way a Labour politician. All I'm saying is that without the buy in of the government at the time there would have been no Olympics. You only need to look back to the 1990 bid for the 1996 games in Manchester to see how important government buy in was.

what the backhanded compliment to Coe. yeah, was nice.

You made it quite clear you thought it was labour who gave us the olympics. me, I like to say it was a culmination of hard work from all quarters of political persuasions.

Only a partisan would say otherwise.
    Forum Member
    what the backhanded compliment to Coe. yeah, was nice.

You made it quite clear you thought it was labour who gave us the olympics. me, I like to say it was a culmination of hard work from all quarters of political persuasions.

Only a partisan would say otherwise.

You seem to be one of those people who never give credit where it is due if they don't coincide with your political alignment. What a pity.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    as much fun as our olympic success is i think i would rather we funded the sciences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to be one of those people who never give credit where it is due if they don't coincide with your political alignment. What a pity.

On the contrary, i am giving credit where it is due. To all the MPs, sports stars, activists, volunteers and everyone else who helped us get the olympics, build the olympics and participate in the olympics.

It is only you who is partisan enough to wave your Red Flag, saying "it woz Labour that done it"

This is the problem with people so partisan and unwielding such as yourself.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be very difficult to draw a comparison between what the Labour Government had planned for the Olympics and which measures the present coalition kept on board (or even if any improvements to the plans), in the town where I live we have had recently a very large and comprehensive health centre built, who do I give the credit to for that, Labour for planning it (perhaps), or the Coalition for allowing the funding to continue?
    Forum Member
    On the contrary, i am giving credit where it is due. To all the MPs, sports stars, activists, volunteers and everyone else who helped us get the olympics, build the olympics and participate in the olympics.

It is only you who is partisan enough to wave your Red Flag, saying "it woz Labour that done it"

This is the problem with people so partisan and unwielding such as yourself.

You obviously didn't read what I put in post 12, even though you responded to it. This latest post of your bears no resemblance to reality. Do you accept that without government support that there would be no London 2012 Olympics?
    Perhaps the politician who should take most credit is Seb Coe who has turned into a great sports adminitstaror and leader
    Perhaps you would like to explain how that comment is partisan and pro-Labour?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blaie went to Singapore to smooze with the Olympic delegates which some people thought made the difference between the UK & French bids
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You obviously didn't read what I put in post 12, even though you responded to it. This latest post of your bears no resemblance to reality. Do you accept that without government support that there would be no London 2012 Olympics?

You quite clearly from the outset wanted to point out that the olympics were a great success due to Labour and to paraphrase you 'only those who are non-partisan will agree'. Which to put it politely was bull.

I have said from the beginning that the games are a success not because of any government, but countless MPs, athletes, activists, volunteers and all the others who have helped bring the Olympics here and the success it has been. Not a labour government and Seb Coe, as you seem to want to say (although Seb Coe was always a bit nasty, as you added).

As I say, you are blinkered by your own hatred of everything blue to have a neutral attitude in it all.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does sound a bit less partisan now you have left off the end:

"despite his previously distasteful political views"