BBC2 Talking Pictures 12:30

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back again tomorrow with part 22, Deborah Kerr

A look back at the career of British actress Deborah Kerr, with vintage television interviews and classic archive clips telling how she left Britain in the 1940s and became one of Hollywood's biggest stars.

Just watching her interview now. She was so lady like. I never rated her much as an actress though. Too reserved and not much depth to her performances. Although the stories I've heard about her seem to suggest she wasn't so demure in real life.

So funny the dirty look Edith Evans gave her after they showed that famous beach scene clip from From Here To Eternity. :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Something that's just popped up again on BBC Radio, that might interest some.
    Strangers on a Film
    Strangers on a Film
    By Stephen Wyatt.
    To accompany Radio 4's Classic Chandler season, Patrick Stewart plays Raymond Chandler and Clive Swift is Alfred Hitchcock in their famous collaboration on 'Strangers on a Train'. In 1950, Alfred Hitchcock invited Raymond Chandler to work with him on a screenplay based on Patricia Highsmith's novel. Chandler was not only recognised as a fine novelist and had also received an Academy Award nomination for his original screenplay, The Blue Dahlia. The omens were good but their collaboration turned out to be a disaster.
    Directed by Claire Grove
    Availability: 5 days left to listen
    Duration: 45 minutes.

Guardian review
    Forum Member
    Sophia Loren today at 13:30
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,046
    Forum Member
    There are two episodes of Talking Pictures next week. Tomorrow it's Paul Newman at 2.15pm followed by 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' and on Saturday it's Robert Mitchum at 1pm with the 40s film noir 'Build My Gallows High' being shown afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty poor one with Sophia Loren yesterday. Not her fault but the unbelievable misogynistic and aggressive attitudes of some of the interviewers. Especially Cliff Mitchelmore.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty poor one with Sophia Loren yesterday. Not her fault but the unbelievable misogynistic and aggressive attitudes of some of the interviewers. Especially Cliff Mitchelmore.

He was unbelievable, so "up himself."

According to Wiki, he's still around at 94. A "good innings."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He was unbelievable, so "up himself."

According to Wiki, he's still around at 94. A "good innings."

He's still alive? :o He's been around since Moses was a boy. The way he spoke to her, almost attacking her because she was beautiful was outrageous. He was implying that she only got to where she was because of her looks.
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd bump, for those who forgot, as it's on Iplayer now Robert Mitchum today.

IIRC Cy Grant also had problems with Cliff Mitchelmore's dismissive attitude.
    Forum Member
    Another Bump Awesome Welles @ 13.15, followed by Citizen Kane, series is now up to 34 part according to my PVR scheduler.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citizen Kane has some great lines, I've probably mentioned this one before, but it's worth repeating, because of its poignancy.

Kane and his friend Bernstein now well into old age, are reminiscing about their early days, when Bernstein comes out with;

"One day back in 1896, I was crossing over to (New) Jersey on the ferry and as we pulled out, another ferry was pulling in. On it was a girl waiting to get off, a white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."

Digressing.

I watched (again) a good "Cowie" yesterday. "Station West," it might be hard to imagine Dick Powell as a cowboy, but he carried it well. The female lead was the beautiful Jane Greer at 24, (going on 32 as they looked in those days).

That had some good lines in it, some quite "Marlowesque" but they weren't written by Raymond Chandler.

Dick Powell played Haven, Jane Greer played Charlie.

Charlie to Haven, "Have you ever told a girl you loved them?"

Haven, "Yes, several."

Charlie, "When?"

Haven, "When I was standing by the door."

Charlie, "Will you tell me you love me?"

Haven. "Let's get over by the door."
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New series starts 2/8 with Robert Redford.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member
    Bette Davis repeated tomorrow, if anyone missed it the first time it is one of the best in the series. It is followed by Now Voyager, which after All About Eve is my favourite of all her films. :)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Just watched the Bette Davis one - what a fabulously entertaining woman she was! Would love to see the full Joan Bakewell interview with her at the NFT.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bette Davis repeated tomorrow, if anyone missed it the first time it is one of the best in the series. It is followed by Now Voyager, which after All About Eve is my favourite of all her films. :)
    shanders wrote: »
    Just watched the Bette Davis one - what a fabulously entertaining woman she was! Would love to see the full Joan Bakewell interview with her at the NFT.

Ive got the dvds and yet I still watch these two classic movies when theyre on ! Ive tried to find that NFT interview but can only see it referred to on i-tunes as an album download
    Forum Member

Me too, especially as I was there and plucked up the nerve to ask her a question.

I haven't seen the full interview since it was last shown in December 1972.
    Forum Member
    Me too, especially as I was there and plucked up the nerve to ask her a question.

I haven't seen the full interview since it was last shown in December 1972.

Wow! What did you ask her?
    Forum Member
    Wow! What did you ask her?

I did mention it earlier in this thread, but for anyone who missed it, I stood up, shaking in my shoes and asked her if she ever wanted to be a director.

She thought for a minute, and then said, "NO! because I am so passionate about what I do that I can imagine myself rushing in and screaming, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT! :D

Although I would liked to have been a producer, I rather like the idea of bossing all those men around."

She was very articulate, quite funny at times, and obviously enjoyed the interview, and she thanked us all for asking such marvellous questions.

I saw her again when she did her one woman show at the London Palladium in 1975, but I didn't have the nerve to ask her a question on that occasion. ;-)
    Forum Member
    I did mention it earlier in this thread, but for anyone who missed it, I stood up, shaking in my shoes and asked her if she ever wanted to be a director.

She thought for a minute, and then said, "NO! because I am so passionate about what I do that I can imagine myself rushing in and screaming, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT! :D

Although I would liked to have been a producer, I rather like the idea of bossing all those men around."

She was very articulate, quite funny at times, and obviously enjoyed the interview, and she thanked us all for asking such marvellous questions.

I saw her again when she did her one woman show at the London Palladium in 1975, but I didn't have the nerve to ask her a question on that occasion. ;-)

What a fantastic memory for you! From the brief bits used on the show it looked like it was a great evening! And it looked like she got on well with Joan Bakewell who had obviously done her research.
    Forum Member
    What a fantastic memory for you! From the brief bits used on the show it looked like it was a great evening! And it looked like she got on well with Joan Bakewell who had obviously done her research.

Although it was 43 years ago I can recall it all very clearly, and it was actually a Sunday afternoon. I also remember that when we were all waiting outside the NFT after the show, her chauffer emptied the car ashtray into the road, and some demented fans were on their hands and knees scrabbling for the dog ends with the bright red lipstick traces on them. :D

Bette made a point of saying at the end of the show about Joan Bakewell,

"I just LOVE this woman!" :)
    Forum Member
    Richard Attenborough's episode tomorrow/today at 13:00.
    Forum Member
    I've loved Sylvia Sym's narration in this series, but I was surprised at the careless mistake she made in the Judi Dench episode. She commented that Judi was sitting next to Margaret Rutherford when being interviewed by Wogan in 1989. It was in fact another very distinguished actress, 100 year old Athene Seyler. Dame Margaret had died 17 years previously.

I loved the Maggie Smith episode this week, one of the best in the series! :)
    Forum Member
    Series is back again Julie Andrews yesterday, number 32 in the series IIRC, David Niven now, followed by Around the World in Eighty days at 13:40.

Seems to be a Hitchcock season on BBC 2 around midnight for the next few days, started a couple of days ago.
    Forum Member
    Series 2 continues Great Directors today 13:35,
    Features rarely seen interviews with a line-up of directing legends including names like John Ford, Frank Capra, Sidney Lumet, George Cukor, Billy Wilder and Cecil B Demille.
    followed by Wuthering Heights circa 1939.
    The film garnered several Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Screenplay and Best Director.
    Forum Member
    Reputations featuring Alfred Hitchcock on at 13:10, part II in the series.
    Followed by Living Famously featuring Grace Kelly at 14:10
    Followed by Rear Window at 15:10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Christopher Lee today at 1.30pm. I wonder if it will be updated since his death.