Options

People that cant drive a car

Comments

• Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't drive, I've never had the urge to. Not having a car keeps me fit. I can walk into town in just over thirty minutes. It would take me as long on a bus and If I drove there I'd have to fanny about looking for somewhere to park and have to pay. Always makes me laugh when people drive to the gym, seriously you'd get more fit walking.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Surely this is a basic life skill and everyone should be able to drive.

Now when a person above the age of 25 tells me he/she cant drive, I think what the hell is wrong with you :eek:

Now maybe if you live in zones 1-4 in London maybe id just agree you dont actually need to drive as your public transport is decent.

But every other city/town driving is a must.

If you cant afford a car thats a shame but surely you'd wish you could.

1) It is impossible to park in my road after 3pm.
    2) I don't drive. I don't need to.
    3) Public transport gets me from a to b without having to fork out extra for a parking space or waste money and more pollution driving around looking for one.
    4) Cars are expensive to run and need servicing.
    5) Cars pollute the environment when trains and buses are greener models as more people travel on them.
    6) I walk.
  • Options
    36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't drive, I've never had the urge to. Not having a car keeps me fit. I can walk into town in just over thirty minutes. It would take me as long on a bus and If I drove there I'd have to fanny about looking for somewhere to park and have to pay. Always makes me laugh when people drive to the gym, seriously you'd get more fit walking.

yes they could walk on the treadmill if they wanted a gentle exercise that wont chalenge them.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Lol strangely my hubby says that too. :D:D

Can you do a cartwheel, theres a thread about that now.:D
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think being able to drive is a useful skill to have and would encourage everybody who has the opportunity to give it a go and attempt to get their licence. That said, I don't think it's essential by any means.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Because I can't afford to pass my test perhaps? Plus the only thing I need a car for where I live would be to go to Tesco. Which I can do quite easily on the bus after work.

Then again, I often wonder why folk can't do something basic like boil an egg or sew a button back onto a coat/shirt and would rather throw it away and buy a new one.

So there you go.

This exactly. I have no desire to learn how to drive ever actually unless owning a car proves to be essential (like if I end up living miles and miles apart from my family or from work). My family have never owned a car growing up and I think I've learned to be pretty self sufficient because of that. Public transport is very good where I live, I get around on foot most places (to work and to college most of the time). Some people I know wouldn't be able to survive without their cars and have similar circumstances as me. It's just a personal choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    :o:o Ok not only can I not swim but I can't drive either. :D

Don't feel too embarrassed, I can't drive a car, swim or ride a bike!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they could walk on the treadmill if they wanted a gentle exercise that wont chalenge them.

Why walk on a boring treadmill and pay for the privilege when you can walk outside for free. Seven miles I walked yesterday, just me and my ipod, it was great walking in the snow, was a great workout for my legs, burnt some calories, made me feel good, didn't cost anything and didn't bore me senseless and I lost weight.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member

I'd sooner judge somebodies intelligence by having a look at their spelling, or grammar, before looking at whether they drive a car or not :p

I do agree that men are 'expected' to drive by society - it's just a reflection of some of the more shallow aspects of our attitudes in the modern world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men are supposed to drive, its really that simple.

I really DO worry about DS sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why walk on a boring treadmill and pay for the privilege when you can walk outside for free. Seven miles I walked yesterday, just me and my ipod, it was great walking in the snow, was a great workout for my legs, burnt some calories, made me feel good, didn't cost anything and didn't bore me senseless and I lost weight.

that wasnt my point.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely this is a basic life skill and everyone should be able to drive.

Now when a person above the age of 25 tells me he/she cant drive, I think what the hell is wrong with you :eek:

Now maybe if you live in zones 1-4 in London maybe id just agree you dont actually need to drive as your public transport is decent.

But every other city/town driving is a must.

If you cant afford a car thats a shame but surely you'd wish you could.

People who can't drive a car.. ;)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never felt the need or urge to learn to drive - even if I had my car would be sitting outside the house 5 days a week as I commute to work by train
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    I'd sooner judge somebodies intelligence by having a look at their spelling, or grammar, before looking at whether they drive a car or not :p

I do agree that men are 'expected' to drive by society - it's just a reflection of some of the more shallow aspects of our attitudes in the modern world.

im exempt :cool:
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    I'd sooner judge somebodies intelligence by having a look at their spelling, or grammar, before looking at whether they driver a car or not :p

How does one driver a car? :p

EDIT: Seems you've ninja'd it.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's such a "basic" life skill, then why is it something that people have to be officially tested on before being legally allowed to do it?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I really DO worry about DS sometimes.

normally once a day
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i think that anyone who hasn't a private pilots licence by the time they are 30 just isn't trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    If it's such a "basic" life skill, then why is it something that people have to be officially tested on before being legally allowed to do it?

because its a piece of dangerous machinary of course.
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP usually resides in the fetid mud of the Music Message Board, his grasp of the real world is somewhat tenuous I fear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP usually resides in the fetid mud of the Music Message Board, his grasp of the real world is somewhat tenuous I fear.

ive only ever made one thread in that section, Talk facts not fiction.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    How does one driver a car? :p

EDIT: Seems you've ninja'd it.

haha - you must have got in there quick! I 'ninja'd it' within seconds :D
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because its a piece of dangerous machinary of course.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. It obviously isn't as "basic" as you make out, otherwise everyone would be doing it and wouldn't need to pass a test. Anything that you need to pass a test to be able to do must have some degree of difficulty attached to it somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've put off driving for quite a while now, but I've finally decided to learn. In the town I currently live in, the buses finish about 5.30pm, so unless it's within walking distance it can be hard to get anywhere in the evenings. I've lived in places which had much better public transport, so it wasn't a problem, but it's frustrating where I am at the moment.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone in the country drove a car the roads would be solid with traffic jams 24/7, even worse then they are now bringing the country to a standstill.