The appalling treatment of Mary Beard

-Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't know if you've been been following this story, but I have and it's really got to me.

Mary appeared on Question Time and offered research-based evidence (in a very calm and measured way) that cast doubt on the idea of strains on public services. Afterwards, she was subjected to a torrent of obscene online abuse (focusing almost exclusively on sexual characteristics & appearance):

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2013/01/internet-fury.html#more

There was even a web story doing the rounds on Twitter which included a photo of Mary's face superimposed onto a picture of female genitalia.

Mary's ordeal is yet another example of how the Internet is rife with misogynistic bullying.

Will other women now be put off appearing in public (such as on shows like QT)? I do worry that the men who want to control and silence them will win.

Comments

• hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It`s a sad ,sad old world......and a sick one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also been derided for her looks by the media:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2138177/Samantha-Brick-Sorry-women-ARE-ugly-TV.html

Her series on the Romans was something I thought would be tedious but it was the best thing I have watched for years. She was so engaging. She is so knowledgeable and passionate about her field.

OK she is a "lefty" but so what? I am sure her intelligence will mean these idiots do not have any impact. I certainly hope it does not means she will not create any more series.

She is far superior to those who unfairly criticise her and pass judgement on her.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I wonder how these people found out what she said? Surely QT isn't watched by that many people? I guess it must have spread very quickly to the usual anti-immigration groups who did most of the work - a bit like how only 0-1 Daily Mail readers actually watched something on TV that caused 'outrage', but hundreds write in and complain about it!
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also got berated for her looks by the media:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2138177/Samantha-Brick-Sorry-women-ARE-ugly-TV.html

Her series on the Romans was something I thought would be tedious but it was the best thing I have watched for years. She was so engaging. She is so knowledgeable and passionate about her field.

OK she is a "lefty" but so what? I am sure her intelligence will mean these idiots do not have any impact. I certainly hope it does not means she will not create any more series.

She is far superior to those who unfairly criticise her and pass judgement on her.

Who does that Brick women think she is?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also got berated for her looks by the media

Her series on the Romans was something I thought would be tedious but it was the best thing I have watched for years. She was so engaging.

OK she is a "lefty" but so what? I am sure her intelligence will mean these idiots do not have any impact.

Typical mail response, oh my god an intelligent woman on tv?? Lets make fun of her looks!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Samantha Brick makes me ashamed to have a vagina, vile vile woman. :mad:

I loved her series on the Romans, but alas it showed such deep seated misogyny. No one cares what a man looks like (Andrew Marr is hardly an oil painting yet fronts many series and no one bats an eyelid), yet it seems we cannot cope with seeing a female face on TV without her being botoxed to the nine, a pair of DD's and a 27 inch waist :rolleyes::mad:

Back on topic I am pretty shocked at the treatment she has received, she said nothing particularly controversial in my mind, and to be bullied in such a way is sickening.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    She also been derided for her looks by the media:

That Brick woman annoys me no end.

Total off topic but 3000 posts! :) Shame it was wasted on that deluded cow. Oh well :D
  • Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I wonder how these people found out what she said? Surely QT isn't watched by that many people? I guess it must have spread very quickly to the usual anti-immigration groups who did most of the work - a bit like how only 0-1 Daily Mail readers actually watched something on TV that caused 'outrage', but hundreds write in and complain about it!

I think probably due to this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2264799/Our-towns-like-foreign-country-Locals-cope-immigrants-says-mother-TV-clash-academic.html In which Mary Beard was derided as a 'lefty' who didn't know what she was talking about, and the audience member who challenged her was hailed as some kind of heroine who spoke out and 'challenged the taboo'.
  • MCC243MCC243 Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    She also got berated for her looks by the media:

Samantha Brick has got a f**kin cheek criticising anyone with that set of chompers.
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love a bit of Mary Beard. Her programs on the Roman Empire are fantastic.

She got some stick for her looks on them too.

Real shame.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I heard about this and it has been quite appalling.

It's not surprising though. She's a woman on the older side of fifty, she's extremely intelligent, and she doesn't compromise by being retardedly preoccupied with her outward 'beauty'.

She is therefore a prime target for the odious woman-hating morons in this country (of whom there are many) especially in the media.

There are honestly knuckle-dragging neanderthals out there who don't think women of her age ought to keep their hair long or really have any kind of public presence.
    If women like her must parade about, they must at least have the decency to dye their hair and try and look nice for the men.
    The treatment of her has been utterly revolting.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Bogz wrote: »
    I love a bit of Mary Beard. Her programs on the Roman Empire are fantastic.

She got some stick for her looks on them too.

Real shame.

I had never heard of Mary until the Roman Empire series . I loved it and her , she was a great presenter .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had never heard of Mary until the Roman Empire series . I loved it and her , she was a great presenter .

She also done Pompeii: Life and Death in a Roman Town

I think it's on YouTube. Worth a watch ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bogz wrote: »
    She also done Pompeii: Life and Death in a Roman Town

I think it's on YouTube. Worth a watch ;)

I will have a look for this, thanks.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member

Lol she's one to talk. Look in the mirror at your 5 acres of gum above the lip-line... .not to mention your mishapen horse-teeth, you nasty little bitch.

**I am aware this post is hypocritical of me, given what I said above :o!
    Don't care. People like Samantha Brick need to be told!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have a look for this, thanks.

Enjoy it. It's very good and Mary is as charming as ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to laugh that the Mail were acting all outraged about the comments . I mean its not like them to slag someone off over there looks is it. :rolleyes:
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Lol she's one to talk. Look in the mirror at your 5 acres of gum above the lip-line... .not to mention your mishapen horse-teeth, you nasty little bitch.

Just clicked on the article - there's a pic about halfway down with a headline where Miss Brick looks a tad deranged!

I'd be far keener to hear what Mary Beard has to say rather than Samantha Brick who is, as far as I'm concerned, so far up her own arse that she can probably see her tonsils.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^^^^^^

Quoted for truth !!!
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard about this and it has been quite appalling.

It's not surprising though. She's a woman on the older side of fifty, she's extremely intelligent, and she doesn't compromise by being retardedly preoccupied with her outward 'beauty'.

She is therefore a prime target for the odious woman-hating morons in this country (of whom there are many) especially in the media.

There are honestly knuckle-dragging neanderthals out there who don't think women of her age ought to keep their hair long or really have any kind of public presence.
    If women like her must parade about, they must at least have the decency to dye their hair and try and look nice for the men.
    The treatment of her has been utterly revolting.
    The only way such misogyny will be tacked (and misandry too) is for the Government to get tough on those whom air such views, in the same way they have done with trolls on Twitter and treat such views as hate crimes with lengthy jail sentences and tough punishments. And that's across the board too - from a sexist joke on Twitter to proclaimed "nice guys" to journalists sprouting misogyny in articles.

In due time, with the current press exposure, maybe this sort of trolling will be dealt with in the same serious manner and light as other forms of trolling have been.

It would be amusing in a way to see a Daily Mail journalist or two being sent to prison for airing misogynistic views within their articles. But that's what it'll take I suspect to cause a change in society's attitudes around misogyny.
  • Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Don't know if you've been been following this story, but I have and it's really got to me.

Mary appeared on Question Time and offered research-based evidence (in a very calm and measured way) that cast doubt on the idea of strains on public services. Afterwards, she was subjected to a torrent of obscene online abuse (focusing almost exclusively on sexual characteristics & appearance):

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2013/01/internet-fury.html#more

There was even a web story doing the rounds on Twitter which included a photo of Mary's face superimposed onto a picture of female genitalia.

Mary's ordeal is yet another example of how the Internet is rife with misogynistic bullying.

Will other women now be put off appearing in public (such as on shows like QT)? I do worry that the men who want to control and silence them will win.

Sanctimonious out of touch old bird gets upset when she goes on a national TV show and a few people have a go at her online shock

FFS give it a rest :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctimonious out of touch old bird gets upset when she goes on a national TV show and a few people have a go at her online shock

How is she out of touch?

She was citing officially recognised research.

and what has her age got to do with anything?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I presume you know nothing at all about Mary Beard?

She is neither sanctimonious nor out of touch.

Perhaps you are envious of her intelligence and eloquence?
    Forum Member
    How is she out of touch?

She was citing officially recognised research.

and what has her age got to do with anything?

she was citing research an the women in the audience was citing real life living and working in the area in question

BIG difference
    Forum Member
    I presume you know nothing at all about Mary Beard?

She is neither sanctimonious nor out of touch.

Perhaps you are envious of her intelligence and eloquence?

I judge her on her performance on QT, which I watched and she was battered by the lady in the audience
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she was citing research an the women in the audience was citing real life living and working in the area in question

BIG difference

so one might say the woman was blinkered and not looking at the wider picture? I will go with the researched evidence personally.