Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Thank you! Jeez, there have been some busy Belgians around, it's turned into something bloody good

Anne we have our song! Although our songs never qualify...:(

(I'm thinking Georgia 2012 and Macedonia 2011 ;))
  • Options
    kvnkvn Posts: 8,782
    Forum Member
    Oh no, just when we'd left the Sweden v Ireland debate you've opened a new can of chocolate guinness meatballs. :p;)

If I may wade my size 9s in after tonight

1. Belgium 2. Sweden 3. Ireland
    contejas wrote: »
    At least Belgium has done all it's can -- I think you can stage this in a lot of different ways -- I'd go for the mean and moody look...

I think we've finally found a song we agree on. Belgium is straight into my top 10 and climbing. If I was gonna stage it I'd dress him like Gaitana. That would make him stand out from Ireland and Sweden ;)
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry that I was so late to the debate on Belgium, but I found the 2008 thread and was reading all the run up to the contest whilst watching MelFest 2008..

Chickens, when you're reading back, can I remind you of this post of yours? ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22199855&postcount=4993
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne we have our song! Although our songs never qualify...:(

(I'm thinking Georgia 2012 and Macedonia 2011 ;))

I'm not sure that I'm ready for Belgium to be given the accolade of "our song" yet ... can't you get into Albania a bit more instead? ;)
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Belgium is actually really good now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that I'm ready for Belgium to be given the accolade of "our song" yet ... can't you get into Albania a bit more instead? ;)

I tried -- I'll work on Albania and you work on Belgium and one of us will see the light...I do like Albania but don't love it...yet...

And there's always Moldova and Montenegro...:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    It's still a terrible, terrible song lyrically.
  • Options
    Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Belgium has done all it's can -- I think you can stage this in a lot of different ways -- I'd go for the mean and moody look...

He's 17 so it should be his default although won't that rule out dancers? The new version was always going to be an improvement on the work-shopped version but I'm liking it. One thing, his accent is much improved but can he sustain it when the pressure is on?
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry that I was so late to the debate on Belgium, but I found the 2008 thread and was reading all the run up to the contest whilst watching MelFest 2008..

Chickens, when you're reading back, can I remind you of this post of yours? ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22199855&postcount=4993

How did that garbage beat the sensational 365 days?
  • Options
    PatheticFallacyPatheticFallacy Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    kvn wrote: »
    It's stepping on Ireland's toes in the second half of SF1. Infact I'd say it's wiping the floor with it :cool:

Trouble is it's autotuned to death, his performance will probably let it down on the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's 17 so it should be his default although won't that rule out dancers? The new version was always going to be an improvement on the work-shopped version but I'm liking it. One thing, his accent is much improved but can he sustain it when the pressure is on?

Never has been keeping in tune been so important in a semi final....;)

ooh I don't know get some gothish dancers -- it could be a highlight...:D
  • Options
    Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think we've finally found a song we agree on. Belgium is straight into my top 10 and climbing. If I was gonna stage it I'd dress him like Gaitana. That would make him stand out from Ireland and Sweden ;)

Lucky for you, the Eurostar has been cancelled due to the snow. ;)
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I still get bored by Love Kills. Oh well.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is it's autotuned to death, his performance will probably let it down on the night.

His English is not great either (surprisingly for a Belgian)....he sings in a very strong accent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    Yeah. If the English is that bad and heavily autotuned in a studio version, live it's going to possibly be even worse than the original time we heard it. There's absolutely no way he's qualifying. This is no re-working of This is the Night.
  • Options
    nmojonesnmojones Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    My current Top 32 :)
    1. Germany
    2. Ukraine
    3. Denmark
    4. Norway
    5. Austria
    6. Belarus
    7. Sweden
    8. Slovenia
    9. Georgia
    10. Greece
    11. Serbia
    12. Russia
    13. Israel
    14. United Kingdom
    15. Cyprus
    16. Netherlands
    17. Spain
    18. Hungary
    19. Malta
    20. Finland
    21. Estonia
    22. Croatia
    23. Belgium
    24. Romania
    25. Ireland
    26. Iceland
    27. Switzerland
    28. Albania
    29. Armenia
    30. Lithuania
    31. Latvia
    32. Bulgaria
  • Options
    PatheticFallacyPatheticFallacy Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    I will say one thing re: Love Kills - thank GOD they got rid of the key change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lucky for you, the Eurostar has been cancelled due to the snow. ;)

:D

I prefer Romania to all three of them ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's stepping on Ireland's toes in the second half of SF1. Infact I'd say it's wiping the floor with it :cool:

Ryan Dolan is nowhere near as heavily autotuned as this : it seems like they've given 'Love Kills' Zoe Alexis levels of studio enhancement.

On that clip we saw of Belarosa a month or two back, he actually seemed very ropy live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katsuya wrote: »
    Yeah. If the English is that bad and heavily autotuned in a studio version, live it's going to possibly be even worse than the original time we heard it. There's absolutely no way he's qualifying. This is no re-working of This is the Night.

I'd be suspicious as to why they're using that amount of autotune if he's supposed to be a great vocalist. The live version is surely going to sound very flat in comparison.
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member

I quite liked Belgium already but what a vast improvement.

Ireland > Belgium > Sweden

Loving new Albania, couldn't tell the difference with Russia and am happy with the Moldovan qualifiers so far. And considering I was a bit on the fence about new Ukraine, I can't stop listening to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sbrum1984 wrote: »
    I quite liked Belgium already but what a vast improvement.

Ireland > Belgium > Sweden

Loving new Albania, couldn't tell the difference with Russia and am happy with the Moldovan qualifiers so far. And considering I was a bit on the fence about new Ukraine, I can't stop listening to it.

I think Belgium's been helped by us only having a real demo version that was sang in the back room of a radio station to go on for 3 months. I was expecting something good from it but it's better than I thought. It's in with a chance of qualifying now I'd say.

Agree about Albania too. The opening of the song is special. I hope they make the most of it in their performance
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what on Earth have they done to Belgium??? :eek:

As Eurostar has said, the live version will be the test but he might be able to cover up shaky vocals better in a club song than he could in a ballad.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto Bellarosa doesn't sound bad live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX7DfGpeIBU

His big issue is English being a foreign tongue. If he's struggling with it it'll affect the song.
This discussion has been closed.