Star Trek The Next Generation season 1

Comments

• PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    The first series of TNG seemed to have the same military style, cardboard sets and odd character behaviours as TOS and the first six films. The characters in the first series seemed uptight and futuristic, making comments that emphasised the fact it was the future and mankind had come a long way. Add to that, it looked very 1980s, with 1980s hairstyles and designs all over the place, making it look dated by today's standards. For some reason, the early 90s episodes don't appear as dated today.

Series 3 onwards seemed more homely and the characters were more rounded and relaxed. The Enterprise seemed to change from being an uptight military ship to a more relaxed ship of business.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think TNG and DS9 are superior to TOS, but the one thing that sets it apart for me is that I enjoy every single episode. I even find the terrible episode fun to watch, and that's something I can't say about TNG or DS9, in fact it's not something I can say about many shows. As great as TNG/DS9 were, they did have their fair share of dull episodes.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, who made the decision to make Jean Luc Picard French when he was played by an English actor? Why not just have him as an English captain called John Picard?

I expect it partly helped give the cast an international feel (two cultures for the price of one) which would allow it to be marketed more easily to the rest of the world. Important for this first come back series.

Though towards the later series when chunks of various episodes are given over to Patrick Stewart's real life high profile Shakespearean status as he and Data act out various scenes - it becomes a tad less logical.

The name probably has a nod to Auguste Piccard - a Swiss scientist and explorer who built one of the earliest pressurised balloons to explore the fringes of space.

In a sort of completion of the circle Virgin Trains named one of their long distance diesels after the real life Piccard - amongst lots of other similar pioneer explorers.

It is part of a class of trains they coincidentally call the Voyager.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Re Yar - Forgettable in the first season, outstanding in Yesterday's Enterprise. Whilst the character would probably have improved had Denise Crosby stayed with the show then it would have been undoubtedly at the expense of Michael Dorn/Worf.

It would have been at the expense of Troi. I remember an interview with Marina Sirtis saying how they very nearly axed her character, as they didn't think she added anything to the show. I think there was something like four episodes in a row where Troi doesn't appear at all (or barely) and that was because they were testing phasing her out. Then Denise Crosby decided she wanted to leave and so they decided to ditch ditching Troi.

Of all the Trek shows, TNG did have a bit of a mess with its characters/actors. There are cast changes across the first four years. Season 1, Yar dies. Season 2, Crusher replaced with Pulaski. Season 3, Pulaski replaced with Crusher. Season 4, Wesley finally shipped off to the bucket of bad ideas...err....I mean the Academy. :p
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    It would have been at the expense of Troi. I remember an interview with Marina Sirtis saying how they very nearly axed her character, as they didn't think she added anything to the show. I think there was something like four episodes in a row where Troi doesn't appear at all (or barely) and that was because they were testing phasing her out. Then Denise Crosby decided she wanted to leave and so they decided to ditch ditching Troi....
    Troi as an empath proved pretty useful for sussing if the opposing alien ship commander was telllig the truth or hiding something. Of course she came into her own in those throw away episodes, counselling the crew member struggling with some personal issue. Then in later films she was able to pilot a ship and even command a vessel. Who'd of guessed!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i am on season 2 and it seems the producers got rid of Beverley. I read that the producers didn't like the actresses performances and released her from the contract before season 2 began. Gene was not happy but it was a battle he lost but he left the door open for her. She returns in season 3, which is good to hear. I love her scenes with Picard.

I like Troi. Thank god they never got rid of her. She didn't provide much in season 1 but her warmth and kindness won me over. I also thought the actress gave a brilliant performance in The Child for Season 2. The actress was also naturally beautiful, although looking at her now, she is a product of too much work done to remain young.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i am on season 2 and it seems the producers got rid of Beverley. I read that the producers didn't like the actresses performances and released her from the contract before season 2 began. Gene was not happy but it was a battle he lost but he left the door open for her. She returns in season 3, which is good to hear. I love her scenes with Picard....
    I absolutely detested the Pulaski character. Thank-god they had the sense to bring Dr Crusher back.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Dunno. Pretty sure JMS didn't hold the DS9 series bible for 6 months before B5 was announced..... ;)

Re Yar - Forgettable in the first season, outstanding in Yesterday's Enterprise. Whilst the character would probably have improved had Denise Crosby stayed with the show then it would have been undoubtedly at the expense of Michael Dorn/Worf.

You beat me to it Bester, if Crosby hadn't left the show, there would have been very little scope left for the character of Worf to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I absolutely detested the Pulaski character. Thank-god they had the sense to bring Dr Crusher back.

She seems ok, i suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been at the expense of Troi. I remember an interview with Marina Sirtis saying how they very nearly axed her character, as they didn't think she added anything to the show. I think there was something like four episodes in a row where Troi doesn't appear at all (or barely) and that was because they were testing phasing her out. Then Denise Crosby decided she wanted to leave and so they decided to ditch ditching Troi.

Of all the Trek shows, TNG did have a bit of a mess with its characters/actors. There are cast changes across the first four years. Season 1, Yar dies. Season 2, Crusher replaced with Pulaski. Season 3, Pulaski replaced with Crusher. Season 4, Wesley finally shipped off to the bucket of bad ideas...err....I mean the Academy. :p

I have never fully understood why she left. I mean, it's not as if she has done much since. Apart from a few guest appearances, in the odd show here and there, she hasn't done anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i am on season 2 and it seems the producers got rid of Beverley. I read that the producers didn't like the actresses performances and released her from the contract before season 2 began. Gene was not happy but it was a battle he lost but he left the door open for her. She returns in season 3, which is good to hear. I love her scenes with Picard.

I like Troi. Thank god they never got rid of her. She didn't provide much in season 1 but her warmth and kindness won me over. I also thought the actress gave a brilliant performance in The Child for Season 2. The actress was also naturally beautiful, although looking at her now, she is a product of too much work done to remain young.

Not only is she hot, she's also a Spurs fan.............the full package. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You beat me to it Bester, if Crosby hadn't left the show, there would have been very little scope left for the character of Worf to go.

Nope, when RDM came on board Worf was always destined to have a more central role, regardless of Crosby leaving the show or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never fully understood why she left. I mean, it's not as if she has done much since. Apart from a few guest appearances, in the odd show here and there, she hasn't done anything.

Apparently she wasn't happy in the role and didn't enjoy it at all.
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Troi as an empath proved pretty useful for sussing if the opposing alien ship commander was telllig the truth or hiding something. Of course she came into her own in those throw away episodes, counselling the crew member struggling with some personal issue. Then in later films she was able to pilot a ship and even command a vessel. Who'd of guessed!

I'm not sure I'd say Troi could really pilot the Enterprise. First time she did it, she crashed the ship into a planet. Second time, she crashed it into another ship!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She is a terrible actress which is why i am not shocked she never went on to anything major. She was in a few episodes of the last season of The walking dead but she had very little dialogue or screentime.

She left because she felt unused. Like she was there for no reason. In later interviews, she described her time on Star Trek as the most miserable time in her life. But she remains active at conventions and has done two docs about star trek fans. She pretty much remains a tiny bit relevant for a role she played for less than a year on a show that became bigger without her.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I agree that Season 3 is where ST:TNG really found its feet and started to turn out some great shows. The only one I really remember and love from those early seasons is "The measure of a man" from S2 where Data's rights as a sentient being are called into question. It is a remarkably good episode.

I love ST: TNG - can't believe it started almost 30 years ago! (1987)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently she wasn't happy in the role and didn't enjoy it at all.

Well, that choice worked out well. :D
    I'm not sure I'd say Troi could really pilot the Enterprise. First time she did it, she crashed the ship into a planet. Second time, she crashed it into another ship!

Didn't she crash it into a singularity as well? Or am I confused?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do keep hearing season 3 is where the show really settled. But at the moment, season 1 and a few episodes into season 2 have been enjoyable too

I am glad I am giving the star trek shows another go

TNG is much better than TOS all the way i think.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member

That's the 'official' explanation.

Although you might want to have a look at Maurice Hurley's role in her departure from the series....
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the second time she crashed it but it was the Enterprise E by then in the movie Nemesis she was ordered to ram the Romulan or was it Reman vessel the Schimitar to stop them from getting to Earth and using their planet killing weapon
  • PowerStormPowerStorm Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    DS9 was on TV before Babylon5, so it would seem it was DS9 that was "ripped off";-)

That was so but Paramount was aware of what JMS was up to, as he'd previously attempted to sell B5 to them. More info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5#Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine_controversy

I loved B5 but I also loved DS9 for precisely the reasons why somebody above hated it - love those long story arcs. Neat stories wrapped up in 45 minutes is not what great sci-fi is about, imho.

I'd say TNG only gets good around the time of Best of Both Worlds. Similarly, DS9 didn't jump on the arc-bandwagon until Way of the Warrior, which is when I think that series got good as well. Voyager never got good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PowerStorm wrote: »
    I'd say TNG only gets good around the time of Best of Both Worlds.

I prefer season 3 to 4. Déjà Q, The Defector, The Hunted, The High Ground, The Offspring, Yesterday's Enterprise, Sins of the Father, Tin Man, Sarek, (and of course BOBW1) are all classics. Season 4 has its share also, but I felt season 3 had a real spring in its step, including in some of the mediocre episodes.
    Similarly, DS9 didn't jump on the arc-bandwagon until Way of the Warrior, which is when I think that series got good as well.

Arc-wise, that's probably a bit harsh. Prior to that point there had been plenty arc stuff. Initially it was scattered, and slowly intensifying as the series progressed. Its fair to say WOTW was treated as a make or break second chance for the series, but even by then there were several arcs already in motion, including Odo's past/the Dominion, Bajor (Religion/Emissary, Cardassians), the Maquis, Mirror Universe, the Ferengi stuff. Not saying they were all great arcs, but nevertheless most of them had been there since the start, and slowly building.
    ]Voyager never got good.

Correct :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore DS9.

Voyager has to be one of the most frustrating shows ever. It has a brilliant cast and I like the whole "we need to get home" plot but the writing and the direction found me wanting to punch my tv. It's a show that promised a lot but delivered sod all. I am surprised it lasted the seven seasons it did.

Enterprise, i am still unsure but i am giving that another go soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    the second time she crashed it but it was the Enterprise E by then in the movie Nemesis she was ordered to ram the Romulan or was it Reman vessel the Schimitar to stop them from getting to Earth and using their planet killing weapon

Technicalities. :p
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get why they got rid of Gates McFadden for season 2 when she was clearly one of the better main cast members. I'm 3/4 through season 1 and she's always a joy to watch when she's onscreen.

I am guessing someone in production didn't like her or they just wanted a more 'no nonsense' type of Doctor. Thankfully she returned for season 3!
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I still don't get why they got rid of Gates McFadden for season 2 when she was clearly one of the better main cast members. I'm 3/4 through season 1 and she's always a joy to watch when she's onscreen.

I am guessing someone in production didn't like her or they just wanted a more 'no nonsense' type of Doctor. Thankfully she returned for season 3!

There's plenty on Google about the friction between McFadden and Maurice Hurley. From what I understand, Hurley had her sacked because she wouldn't fire his phaser for him. . if you get my drift.