James Jordan- - Alpha male or insecure and mentally frail? A critique

AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
Forum Member
I should start by clarifying I think the guy is an absolute arse of a man. A nasty, spiteful, deluded, hugely insecure muppet whose fears and insecurities manifest itself in his nasty, trolling arrogant and misplaced ways. .

He has delusions of grandeur when it comes to him and his position on both life and the pecking order and where he fits into it.
He tries to project an image of some make believe alpha male when in reality he is about as far from an alpha male as can be. I've never bought what this guy's been selling, and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He is just not a nice person.

He is like someone who has a slightly different but similar version of 'small man syndrome', desperately trying to prove something to everyone around him, desperate for their approval of his 'status' and to make people believe he is some kind of dominant strong character but it just seems totally false and totally put on for show. He is in fact the polar opposite of these things.

His actions and reactions belie his true cowardly, insecure, desperate for approval and recognition, nature.

There have been a number of times when challenged where it's become pretty damn clear James is not just NOT an alpha male but he'd also struggle with being a beta male. The only time he could ever be thought of as a strong alpha type is when he is surrounded by weak sycophants who weirdly might pander to him.

If he is amongst weak minded fools or runts of the litter, like Ricci or Lauren or George etc then sure he may be the alpha by default, but in front of any normal blokes or a real alpha type he cowers and runs. It's happened a few times now in there.

If he's not talking about knocking out a 70 year old man and then cowering like a coward when the 70 year old man tells him to 'stand up', he's wrongly thinking he has words of 'wisdom' to say, berating Gary yet again, and then again skulking off like the coward he is when Audley tells him how it is.

The guy cowers in fear when an actual alpha male even glances at him, let alone picks him up on the bull he comes out with and he runs of with his tail between his legs.

I think he has to be one of the most obnoxious, humourless, bitter, twisted HMs I have ever had the misfortune to see on my TV screen.

I can hold my hands up and say he's made a decent HM, and I'd totally have kept him in til now, but this isn't a badge of honour, it's purely a comment on what a total arse of a human being and nasty piece of work this guy is.

Each to their own of course, but I fail to see how anyone can make excuses for him, or like him, or try to make out he's a decent guy worthy of even the most minuscule bit of admiration.

There's far far more but for now I shall leave it there on this guy, and would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on him.

Comments

• Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm .....................a lot of food for thought there.

I have not been one way or the other with James TBH - not exactly warmed to him but not really hated him either.

I can't stand seeing people attacked simply because they are at odds with the out and out favourite (I think they should be judged in a stand alone way) - I think I may have disliked him if it weren't for the onslaught of negativity from over zealous Gary fans - because of that I think I've given him the benefit of the doubt a bit (if that makes sense).

Recently returned from a weeks holiday and think I have a clearer perspective though and .........................nah I don't like him much (nor Gary).

I think I only really like Audley and maybe Edele.
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is an obnoxious bell end.
    He would be endearing with his David Brentesque delusions, except he's not as he thinks being rude, condescending, offering endless sermons whilst talking to everyone in a manner out of 'Mind your language' is the sign of a strong, 'honest' ;-) man.
    The manic eye movement every time Gary speaks, trying to come up with some more grandstanding pearls of wisdom to lecture him with, are funny though, as is watching this buffoon against the likes of Audley....'I'm not scared of you' :D who has more alpha make in his little finger.
    His 'showmance' and 'cooking' for votes theories are laughable granted as is his comparison that the male dancers in SCD are 'beige' whilst he is a 'big' character.
    He is a spiteful, nasty, jumped up, pathetic man and even his hangers on in the house appear to realise this.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any time he gets the slightest bit of criticism he immediately hones in on what he perceives as that persons soft underbelly and tries to turn it around, I could take his annoying unfunny wind ups if he took any criticism whatsover himself in good humour, he's just an utter, utter pathetic little knob, have I made myself clear? :cool:

as Tim from the Office would say "you're a **** and a knobend, you're a cock, you're a cock, you're a cock" :D
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    He is an obnoxious bell end.
    He would be endearing with his David Brentesque delusions, except he's not as he thinks being rude, condescending, offering endless sermons whilst talking to everyone in a manner out of 'Mind your language' is the sign of a strong, 'honest' ;-) man.
    The manic eye movement every time Gary speaks, trying to come up with some more grandstanding pearls of wisdom to lecture him with, are funny though, as is watching this buffoon against the likes of Audley....'I'm not scared of you' :D who has more alpha make in his little finger.
    His 'showmance' and 'cooking' for votes theories are laughable granted as is his comparison that the male dancers in SCD are 'beige' whilst he is a 'big' character.
    He is a spiteful, nasty, jumped up, pathetic man and even his hangers on in the house appear to realise this.

I must confess that comments like that (bib) is one of the reasons I've not turned against him. Luisa has over done the variations on that and I find it lazy, pointless and rather inane.

I'll forgive you as you have gone on to qualify why you think that but there are far too many that don't (Luisa included) - it just makes my hackles rise as it means NOTHING.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm .....................a lot of food for thought there.

I have not been one way or the other with James TBH - not exactly warmed to him but not really hated him either.

I can't stand seeing people attacked simply because they are at odds with the out and out favourite (I think they should be judged in a stand alone way) - I think I may have disliked him if it weren't for the onslaught of negativity from over zealous Gary fans - because of that I think I've given him the benefit of the doubt a bit (if that makes sense).

Recently returned from a weeks holiday and think I have a clearer perspective though and .........................nah I don't like him much (nor Gary).

I think I only really like Audley and maybe Edele.

Hi Penny, thanks for the reply and welcome back!

I hope you or anyone else who has seen me on this forum and how I post will know that I am independent of cliques or gangs or tribal HM groups. I don't pander to anyone and I too shake my head when people simply like or dislike HM's based on their favourite or least favourite in there.

I like to think I judge each and every single one of them on their merits and faults and can be objective enough to do so.

In a way I wish less people liked Gary- as I can understand what you say re over zealous fans at times (we saw enough in the regular summer series).

By and large over time on this forum I've supported the underdog (or rather not supported but added a different perspective or a bit of balance when it's been overwhelmingly negative or positive on an individual) so this is a bit weird for me.
    I do find Gary hilarious and find James detestable and for a change it seems to actually follow what many think on here, but it is what it is.

I too rate Audley and to a lesser extent Edele. I don't really ever care who wins or who loses these shows but would be happy for Gary or Audley to take it.

James deserves scorn and condemnation in massive amounts for how he acts and hopefully he might one day be shamed into becoming less of a moronic arse but I doubt it.

Speaking of James, I know with cast iron certainty that in the real world he and I would clash almost instantly. There is no way on this planet that I would ever stand for his bull and he would soon realise that in this particular wolf pack, he's very much the runt of my litter. :p
  • BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    I should start by clarifying I think the guy is an absolute arse of a man. A nasty, spiteful, deluded, hugely insecure muppet whose fears and insecurities manifest itself in his nasty, trolling arrogant and misplaced ways. .

He has delusions of grandeur when it comes to him and his position on both life and the pecking order and where he fits into it.
    He tries to project an image of some make believe alpha male when in reality he is about as far from an alpha male as can be. I've never bought what this guy's been selling, and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He is just not a nice person.

He is like someone who has a slightly different but similar version of 'small man syndrome', desperately trying to prove something to everyone around him, desperate for their approval of his 'status' and to make people believe he is some kind of dominant strong character but it just seems totally false and totally put on for show. He is in fact the polar opposite of these things.

His actions and reactions belie his true cowardly, insecure, desperate for approval and recognition, nature.

There have been a number of times when challenged where it's become pretty damn clear James is not just NOT an alpha male but he'd also struggle with being a beta male. The only time he could ever be thought of as a strong alpha type is when he is surrounded by weak sycophants who weirdly might pander to him.

If he is amongst weak minded fools or runts of the litter, like Ricci or Lauren or George etc then sure he may be the alpha by default, but in front of any normal blokes or a real alpha type he cowers and runs. It's happened a few times now in there.

If he's not talking about knocking out a 70 year old man and then cowering like a coward when the 70 year old man tells him to 'stand up', he's wrongly thinking he has words of 'wisdom' to say, berating Gary yet again, and then again skulking off like the coward he is when Audley tells him how it is.

The guy cowers in fear when an actual alpha male even glances at him, let alone picks him up on the bull he comes out with and he runs of with his tail between his legs.

I think he has to be one of the most obnoxious, humourless, bitter, twisted HMs I have ever had the misfortune to see on my TV screen.

I can hold my hands up and say he's made a decent HM, and I'd totally have kept him in til now, but this isn't a badge of honour, it's purely a comment on what a total arse of a human being and nasty piece of work this guy is.

Each to their own of course, but I fail to see how anyone can make excuses for him, or like him, or try to make out he's a decent guy worthy of even the most minuscule bit of admiration.

There's far far more but for now I shall leave it there on this guy, and would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on him.

I don't think that I can personally add much more to that Atty. I think you've summed up how I feel about the fool quite adequately.

I can buy into James' example of a young male dancer getting jibes over their choice of dancing etc, when they are 9, 10 and through to early teenage years. Being involved in dance and theatre for almost 30yrs I've seen it happen. But, to date I've never known any male dancer to carry that through into their more mature years, as James does. James, you can't keep using that as an excuse to try and justify the way you behave now. It isn't acceptable imo.

:)

• PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must confess that comments like that (bib) is one of the reasons I've not turned against him. Luisa has over done the variations on that and I find it lazy, pointless and rather inane.

I'll forgive you as you have gone on to qualify why you think that but there are far too many that don't (Luisa included) - it just makes my hackles rise as it means NOTHING.

Luisa is just exasperated as she can't articulate her feelings into words such is her amazement at what a world-class bellend he really is, she can't help it, she's a baker not a public speaker :p
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your forgiveness..................I rarely use the term, but for him it's perfect, a succinct way of saying he is an empty vessel, a knob full of bluster and self importance, a pathetic man who likes to hide behind the idea that he is a clever WUM so he can get his spiteful jibes in an effort to humiliate whoever he feels threatened by.......the fact that he neither has the intelligence or natural wit to pull it off just makes him look even more ridiculous and sad.

Personally I don't understand why any viewer would 'not turn against him' because of other's views.............no matter how 'inane'...............much rather watch and form my own opinion, why would any one else's view or comments impact on that??.....isn't that rather pointless and lazy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    James Jordan is a very insecure gentleman and that is the motivation for his bullying, obnoxious attitude towards others.

He very much wants to be alpha male as the OP states but alpha males are secure in themselves and do not feel the need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel better.

I cannot see a single redeeming feature to this gentleman. He seems to revel in being unkind and manipulative, this is not 'telling it as it is' which to me, is just a flimsy justification for being cruel to others.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't seem to see HMs like many people, I haven't ever worshipped one or thought them incapable of being a human being with flaws. I look at the flaws and decide if I can like them despite their problems, is there a nice person in there trying to get out? I think James there is a nice person in there he struggles to express that and it comes out a bit wrong. Whereas another HM is pretty nasty and I think nothing nice inside him either. If either win it won't be good for them, but I would rather see James win than some others as at least he has been himself and entertained me.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of this is TRUE, but his prickly, wind-'em-up, arseholery, AND his superbly hilarious remarks have made him one of the Best Cleb HMs EVER!! I loathed him on SCD; I'd never want to go out to a restaurant, theatre, etc with him as he'd be a Nightmare with the waiters, staff etc, always wanting to Prove his Superiority over them; and he's basically an interfering little jealous busybody. Keep thinking of Hamlet's remark after stabbing the pontificating Polonius behind he arras that 'to be too busy is some danger'--as in Busybody.
    That said, I think James ALWAYS says out loud exactly what I want to say; he's really been great with silly Gary despite the huge parameters of his own ego; and his sense of humour is sublime--he makes me laugh aloud EVERY episode, even more than George! In viewing value, only James and Gary have given us entertainment, mischief, pushed every show forward, and they've managed to be excellent Frenemies, with James actually taking the most care of Gary and respect for his disablements. James treats Gary like a REAL HM, in the game to win, not some dazed old codger who needs 'reverence' or wrapping in cotton wool, and rightly challenges him on his Hollywood delusions. I notice that Gary's biggest 'defenders' [in the run-up to the FINAL] in there have done the LEAST to help the man throughout [eg Audley & Lauren].
    Therefore, I rate James as a Top HM even if I don't feel he should win [imagine his Ego!!] and he became my top reason for watching as he's brilliant entertainment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, James has carried a lot of terrible hang ups in his life for whatever reason and it shows in his behaviour now. He can't help but feel threatened and just like some of the others, he will never see that he is wrong. I believe without Ola, he'd be even worse, (if possible). The man is a walking advert for a chip on the shoulder and will attack anyone who he sees as a threat. If he can't accept Gary's acting career and fame, then anyone beneath that is even more fair game to him.

He wants total control and can't stand the fact that he hasn't got it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cherry pip wrote: »
    For me, James has carried a lot of terrible hang ups in his life for whatever reason and it shows in his behaviour now. He can't help but feel threatened and just like some of the others, he will never see that he is wrong. I believe without Ola, he'd be even worse, (if possible). The man is a walking advert for a chip on the shoulder and will attack anyone who he sees as a threat. If he can't accept Gary's acting career and fame, then anyone beneath that is even more fair game to him.

He just ADMITTED his 'total control' issues on last night's show, which proves he's come a long way. His blatant 'honesty' means we ALL know what and how he is--how many others in that House can we say that about even at this point??
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of this is TRUE, but his prickly, wind-'em-up, arseholery, AND his superbly hilarious remarks have made him one of the Best Cleb HMs EVER!! I loathed him on SCD; I'd never want to go out to a restaurant, theatre, etc with him as he'd be a Nightmare with the waiters, staff etc, always wanting to Prove his Superiority over them; and he's basically an interfering little jealous busybody. Keep thinking of Hamlet's remark after stabbing the pontificating Polonius behind he arras that 'to be too busy is some danger'--as in Busybody.
    That said, I think James ALWAYS says out loud exactly what I want to say; he's really been great with silly Gary despite the huge parameters of his own ego; and his sense of humour is sublime--he makes me laugh aloud EVERY episode, even more than George! In viewing value, only James and Gary have given us entertainment, mischief, pushed every show forward, and they've managed to be excellent Frenemies, with James actually taking the most care of Gary and respect for his disablements. James treats Gary like a REAL HM, in the game to win, not some dazed old codger who needs 'reverence' or wrapping in cotton wool, and rightly challenges him on his Hollywood delusions. I notice that Gary's biggest 'defenders' [in the run-up to the FINAL] in there have done the LEAST to help the man throughout [eg Audley & Lauren].
    Therefore, I rate James as a Top HM even if I don't feel he should win [imagine his Ego!!] and he became my top reason for watching as he's brilliant entertainment!

Give me the link you have to 24 hour live feed please.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cherry pip wrote: »

You say he can't accept his career and fame but perhaps like some of us he just sees an aging actor who we never thought was much in the first place. I am sure everyone has actors they just don't think are very good and Gary for me is in that category completely mystifies me why so many people think he was a great actor, he is no Bette Davis or Margaret Rutherford that's for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    Luisa is just exasperated as she can't articulate her feelings into words such is her amazement at what a world-class bellend he really is, she can't help it, she's a baker not a public speaker :p
    Hmm, also she shares MOST of James's personality flaws, but is too egotistical to realise this is mostly why she loathes him so much. I doubt she does the actual 'baking' of her cupcakes, btw.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    BlueStreak wrote: »
    I don't think that I can personally add much more to that Atty. I think you've summed up how I feel about the fool quite adequately.

I can buy into James' example of a young male dancer getting jibes over their choice of dancing etc, when they are 9, 10 and through to early teenage years. Being involved in dance and theatre for almost 30yrs I've seen it happen. But, to date I've never known any male dancer to carry that through into their more mature years, as James does. James, you can't keep using that as an excuse to try and justify the way you behave now. It isn't acceptable imo.

Ha ha, thanks BlueStreak! :)

It's interesting to hear your views on the dancing thing given your experiences and involvement.

He does seem like a petulant teen at times in how he acts (I can just picture him stamping his feet when he doesn't get his own way) not a man approaching his 40s.

I also think him somehow managing to pull his wife who in my opinion is very very good looking and usually would be way out of his league looks wise, only adds to this weird sense of ego and status that he thinks he has. He sees himself as some charming, knowledgeable, wise alpha male ladies man type when in fact none of the above appear to be true and he's no more than an insecure stroppy child with ideas far above his station.

He the kind of guy that is a small to medium sized fish in his own small to medium sized pond but in the real ocean of life, he is but a minnow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just ADMITTED his 'total control' issues on last night's show, which proves he's come a long way. His blatant 'honesty' means we ALL know what and how he is--how many others in that House can we say that about even at this point??

James admitting it doesn't make it right and no more accepting for me of how he has and will continue to behave in the house. Because he's admitted to it, doesn't change my opinion. If he addresses it then fine, but saying and doing are two different things.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his existing anxieties are exacerbated by him reaching a bit of a midlife crisis.
    Not that long ago he'd have had all kinds of snidey "witticisms" to spout about people "reduced" to doing CBB for the £££.
    But here he is... a dancer on the down slope sitting with the likes of White Dee to snipe at people who vote for Gary Busey or Audley Harrison. Those desperate swivel eyes give away his underlying pain that "The Brad Pitt of Dancing" is reduced to this.
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Interesting post, AOTB.

I do think James has 'alpha male syndrome' but that's different to saying that I think he'd actually achieve alpha status in any social group.

My understanding of Alpha male is in line with this definition...

"a man tending to assume a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations"

And that's James. Whether others would welcome it or not is another matter. I've certainly worked with a few Alpha executives who behave like silverback gorillas and are deeply loathed for it.

There've been some interesting studies on the different types of Alphas. So you can get someone like James...aggressive, belligerent, competitive, ego-driven etc. But then there are more palatable Alpha types, e.g. like Audley who are confident, strong, imperturbable, and naturally promoted and respected by others as responsible leaders.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James has something known as "small dick syndrome"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    You say he can't accept his career and fame but perhaps like some of us he just sees an aging actor who we never thought was much in the first place. I am sure everyone has actors they just don't think are very good and Gary for me is in that category completely mystifies me why so many people think he was a great actor, he is no Bette Davis or Margaret Rutherford that's for sure.

It wouldn't matter if it was Gary or someone else in that house, nor does it matter how famous Gary was, there is no excuse to treat anyone the way that he has. Good grief if I behaved so dismissively and rude in everyday life to people, I'd be ashamed. The whole issue with James isn't that Gary is a liked actor/person, it's how he deals with someone he sees beneath him, just the same as Dee does. There's a pecking order in there and James and Dee have promoted themselves to the top. Anyone who is seen as a threat and someone who is liked more than they are will pay for it. Sadly that is all I've seen in that house and the good moments disappear because yet again, Gary is on the receiving end.

Why is it that people who dislike Gary sometimes use the fame argument? His acting and fame have got nothing to do with what we, his fans, are saying. It's about intolerant and nasty hms having a pop at Gary whenever they can that we find abhorrent. Edele's own mouth said it all, 'Gary's an easy target'. What more is there to be said!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Hooray!! At most Gary seems to have been an Action B-Movie [full of Explosions] actor 40 years ago. He's not done stage acting, and cannot be compared with REAL Hollywood A-List PROPER actors. He's no DiCaprio, Depp, Spacey, Hanks, or even Buscemi ,Travolta, or Schwartznegger even. So Gary needs to be taken at face value--with respect--in the House which most HMs have done. But that 'offends' the weird Gary Brigade. I'm a cineaste for 50 years and I NEVER heard of him till this show, but then it depends what one watches.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    He's the kind of guy that is a small to medium sized fish in his own small to medium sized pond but in the real ocean of life, he is but a minnow.

The Alec Baldwin of Blackpool wasn't it?

My memory is foggy though..
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting post, AOTB.

I do think James has 'alpha male syndrome' but that's different to saying that I think he'd actually achieve alpha status in any social group.

My understanding of Alpha male is in line with this definition...

"a man tending to assume a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations"

And that's James. Whether others would welcome it or not is another matter. I've certainly worked with a few Alpha executives who behave like silverback gorillas and are deeply loathed for it.

There've been some interesting studies on the different types of Alphas. So you can get someone like James...aggressive, belligerent, competitive, ego-driven etc. But then there are more palatable Alpha types, e.g. like Audley who are confident, strong, imperturbable, and naturally promoted and respected by others as responsible leaders.

Mine would be too. I do have to say that I have always ascribed to the notion that you can be tough but nice and when that is possible in my eyes you can achieve Alpha status. I don't actually go around looking for someone with an alpha status, but it usually quite apparent who does have it and who does not.

Many people are saying that in spite of their dislike/disregard for James they find him a good and entertaining HM. I cannot say I find him entertaining in the slightest, I would say I am transfixed by him. Is this the same thing? I like what you say about Audley, that is precisely my view on him.