Options

What has been your shortest job?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mine would be a 3 day work experience i did at a college - i was only required to come in on the Wednesday , Thursday and Friday.

Comments

• Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, if you are talking work experience I think mine was 3 weeks, at a junior school. I loved it.

My shortest 'proper' job was with HSBC. I was there for 3 months. I hated it.

Edited to say - I forgot one. My shortest job ever was 3 days. I worked in a flower shop. I thought it would be all fragrant and wonderful, but it was bloody hard work and very early starts. After three days I scarpered.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half a day. I was temping at the time, I told the agency I would not do call centre work(nothing against it, just not for me) they gave me an assignment which was "admin with a bit of phone work", I got there and a full blown call centre, nothing to do other an answer calls, headsets on all the time, time away from desk timed etc.

I lasted until lunch and gave it up. I never used that agency again.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked in a petrol station for three months. Was supposed to be doing an "apprenticeship in customer service". Which is obviously a loads of bull. It took me the months to realise they just wanted to use me at an apprenticeship rate to do what normal workers do and the qualification would have been useless.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    KFC. 2 weeks.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 days. Started work on the Monday and was sacked on Thursday.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 shifts at a baked potato concession in the local food court.

By the end of my first shift I had massive welts over my hands from having to handle potatoes straight out of the oven with my bare hands. By the end of the second a few of them had blistered and gone manky. So I was asked not to return, for which I was grateful :D
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advisor to the First Minister of an Independent Scotland. I was only employed last night, that didn't last long. >:(
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you count going out for lunch and not going back, then it was 3 hours in an estate agency :o

Otherwise, 18 months in a building society.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure, spent about 3-4 weeks a 2 different places.

First one was a temporary job packing mail order plants and bulbs. That just came to an end.

The other was a full-time job in a cardboard box manufacturing factory that I quit. Started on the same day as someone else and was supposed to be learning to set the machines. The person I started with did get to do that whilst I was being asked to throw away rubbish, sweep the yard etc. I felt misled and just stopped going in one Monday after the weekend without telling them I was leaving. Got a letter after a week or so to say I'd been sacked which was funny as I'd already left in my own mind.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 day for a recruitment company!

I was cold calling factories and all I was told were stories of redundancies and people being laid off. Depressed the **** out of me and I didn't go back for day 2.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 hour temping for a crap agency which took me to a company and had to sort out forms into two piles. Just walked out and figured that I could do a lot better in life.
  • Options
    The HemulenThe Hemulen Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About three hours. I was pretty uncertain about moving jobs and the company I was at offered me a better role in R&D if I stayed. Got to new place and when had to clock in, go to have tea break at a set time thought sod this and told them I was leaving an hour later at lunchtime. I thought it cheeky to ask for those three and a half hours pay!
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    One day in a chocolate factory when I was doing agency work. Ugh, the thick cloying smell :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    King of Scotland
    (I failed the interview)

A. Salmond
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90 minutes at a Bingo place...Hated it and left :kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I was a waiter at a snooker club for one evening when I was about 17. Bloke just said "It isn't working out mate is it?" and told me not to come back again. That obviously wasn't my calling in life.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    3 and a half hours on an IT helpdesk for a large property company.

Walked out at lunchtime and never went back. I just didn't like it. It wasn't one particular "thing" I didn't like. I just kind of knew immediately I was going to hate it there so got out at the first opportunity.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One day. It was at a florist, the vacancy was advertised on the local radio station. I phoned the number, was asked for go in for an interview that afternoon and when I got there they barely asked me anything and told me I could start the next day. I asked if they wanted to a see CV or references, but they said not and alarm bells should have started ringing then.

When I got there the next day I was shoved onto a computer, had a head set stuck on my head and expected to get on with taking for flowers to be delivered, no training whatsoever. I didn't have a clue and was shouted at for making several mistakes. The manager was vile and the other staff ignored me. I stuck it out till 5.30 and didn't go back the next day, when I phoned the next day the manager was genuinely stunned and couldn't understand why I didn't want to go back........
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 week, I had another interview just before starting it and they offered me a job as a supervisor so went for it. That one then lasted 2 weeks because apparently their version of a supervisor was manning the till all day with no-one to supervise.
  • Options
    ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Working in a museum.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than an hour in a Chinese food warehouse. Got the phonecall on the weekend telling me that I started on Monday morning. Turned up Monday, did all the paperwork and then the boss turned up and promptly told everyone to leave because the place was shutting down.
  • Options
    ZipMasonZipMason Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Less than an hour in a Chinese food warehouse. Got the phonecall on the weekend telling me that I started on Monday morning. Turned up Monday, did all the paperwork and then the boss turned up and promptly told everyone to leave because the place was shutting down.

???? WTF?! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven weeks.

I wasn't comfortable and the employer could tell. He was nice enough to end my six-month contract with no repercussions and a friendly handshake.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    5 days as an usherette at the cinema, stepped in for my sister who was ill.
    It was fantastic!
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 weeks for Lilley and Skinner, really really boring and the boss was an old dragon