Options

Could Scotland end up like Syria?

roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
Forum Member
✭✭
The Arab spring started as a peaceful movement, much like the independence referendum. It soon deteriorated into sectarianism and violence. Could the same happen in a deeply divided Scotland? There was violence on the streets of Glasgow last night. I hope not, i really do.

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because there's hard ****s like me roaming the streets to keep things in order.

I realise the flaw in this plan.

There is no flaw in this plan.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i can imagine a similar scenario to northern ireland at the extreme.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't a Muslim guy run into Glasgow airport on fire a few years back? I'm not saying it's worse than Syria there, I'm just saying, you know... I've not heard of that happening in Syria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't a Muslim guy run into Glasgow airport on fire a few years back? I'm not saying it's worse than Syria there, I'm just saying, you know... I've not heard of that happening in Syria.

He did get kicked firmly in the testicles tbf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think David Cameron is more level headed than Bashr Al Assad, thankfully. I can see riots ands the return of kettling on the horizon though.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, give it a few days and it will settle down. Let's face it, the only people who get involved in fighting are the same people who end up fighting after a night out, or who fight at football matches. They just like an excuse for a ruck, but give it a few days and it will settle down. I think there will be a bit of bad feeling for a few years, but the more sophisticated thinkers will move on quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    No, give it a few days and it will settle down. Let's face it, the only people who get involved in fighting are the same people who end up fighting after a night out, or who fight at football matches. They just like an excuse for a ruck, but give it a few days and it will settle down. I think there will be a bit of bad feeling for a few years, but the more sophisticated thinkers will move on quickly.

I hope you're right but with 6 Orange Walks going ahead in Glasgow today alone they're obviously looking for trouble.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could Scotland end up like Syria?

No, next question.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    The Arab spring started as a peaceful movement, much like the independence referendum. It soon deteriorated into sectarianism and violence. Could the same happen in a deeply divided Scotland? There was violence on the streets of Glasgow last night. I hope not, i really do.

:o NURSE!, NURSE! They're out of bed again!
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glasgow gets such a terrible rep! :D
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    No, because there's hard ****s like me roaming the streets to keep things in order.

I realise the flaw in this plan.

There is no flaw in this plan.

Are you one of the reasons Glasgow gets a bad rep? :o

Make peace (jeely wans) not war. :p
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member
    Of all the stupid and ludicrous threads on DS this has to be the most ridiculous
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's too cold and wet.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who are the scottish equivalent of ISIS? The methodists?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    No, it's too cold and wet.

The troubles in Syria cannot be put down to the weather. I was more alluding to the divisions in society, and the undercurrent of violence that could be sparked into full scale war if left unchecked.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Wee Free's . :)
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Orange Order are a peaceful organisation and they only behead people in public when the situation demands it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The troubles in Syria cannot be put down to the weather. I was more alluding to the divisions in society, and the undercurrent of violence that could be sparked into full scale war if left unchecked.

Have you ever been to Scotland? In fact have you been anywhere? Try visiting reality soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Scotland? In fact have you been anywhere? Try visiting reality soon

yes i have been to Scotland. Not since the independence campaign though. It is possible to learn about and have opinions on places that one has not visited in the recent past.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Try visiting reality soon
    where is this? On TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Christ Almighty. That would take a fortnight. Hacking away with muesli biscuit.

You'd get bored and ask for death on day 12.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes i have been to Scotland. Not since the independence campaign though. It is possible to learn about and have opinions on places that one has not visited in the recent past.

So do you think England could end up like Syria? Have you seen the trouble surrounding EDL marches?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'm worried that the Scottish equivalent of ISIS will get hold of the nukes at Faslane and fire them in the direction of Carlisle.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Beards.....check!
    Teetotal......check!
    A bit dour.......check!
    Beheading........well the kirk ladies floral group are good at deadheading. Sort-of check!