Options

The Prisoner for January 2008

XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just read on Variety that The Prisoner remake that Sky One has been planning to do for ages is going ahead and scheduled for January 2008 with Granada and AMC co-producing.

After being impressed by Hogfather, I have high hope that Sky can pull this off but casting is crucial for the role of Number Six.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Still hope Chris Eccleston does it, if he isn't too wrapped up in "Heroes" and it's offered to him. Make a perfect Number Six.

Skipped through a recording of "Hogfather" but haven't watched it yet - probably save it for over Christmas. Was very impressed too at the visuals and host of well-known faces - looks a treat. Reminded me of the other Sky fantasy production "10th Kingdom", which turned out to be a fantastic children's/family fairy tale after the shaky start. Again, with the lavish visuals.

Shame Sky don't make more event programmes like these.
  • Options
    The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    Still hope Chris Eccleston does it, if he isn't too wrapped up in "Heroes" and it's offered to him. Make a perfect Number Six.

Skipped through a recording of "Hogfather" but haven't watched it yet - probably save it for over Christmas. Was very impressed too at the visuals and host of well-known faces - looks a treat. Reminded me of the other Sky fantasy production "10th Kingdom", which turned out to be a fantastic children's/family fairy tale after the shaky start. Again, with the lavish visuals.

Shame Sky don't make more event programmes like these.

It would give him a chance to redeem himself for Doctor Who. I think he would be a good Number 6. It is a pity that his Doctor was ruined by the gurning, as otherwise he was very good.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote:
    Just read on Variety that The Prisoner remake that Sky One has been planning to do for ages is going ahead and scheduled for January 2008 with Granada and AMC co-producing.

After being impressed by Hogfather, I have high hope that Sky can pull this off but casting is crucial for the role of Number Six.

I read a while ago that this remake wouldn't have The Village
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    The_Master wrote:
    It would give him a chance to redeem himself for Doctor Who. I think he would be a good Number 6. It is a pity that his Doctor was ruined by the gurning, as otherwise he was very good.
    The gurning was probably on Directorial request, but even with it, he was, and is, the only "cool" Doctor. Still a tough choice between TB and CE for my favourite, have to admit.

And let's face it, CE's occasional gurning is no match for DT's comedy pantomime grins and winks. The one to Madame de Pompadour from horseback is a cheese classic (possibly Camembert in this instance)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    The gurning was probably on Directorial request, but even with it, he was, and is, the only "cool" Doctor. Still a tough choice between TB and CE for my favourite, have to admit.

And let's face it, CE's occasional gurning is no match for DT's comedy pantomime grins and winks. The one to Madame de Pompadour from horseback is a cheese classic (possibly Camembert in this instance)!

I agree with you about the gurning being a directorial request, just a pity he didn't refuse to do it though.
    You are right he is the only Cool Doctor. It was an excellent reinvention of the character only let down by some dodgy scripts, not a big enough part for the doctor, the gurning, and leaving after 1 season. Mind you, if CE saw much of season 2, which I doubt, I bet he is glad he left. Personally I don't rate Tom Baker very highly as an actor, he was lucky that he had some brilliant companions and some of the best scripts in the show's history. I think he was only ever playing himself, good though that was in the role.

Still looking forward to "The Prisoner" though. Always one of my favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:
    I read a while ago that this remake wouldn't have The Village
    No, it would have the village, it'd just be more like a town (like Eureka, I guess).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zasin wrote:
    No, it would have the village, it'd just be more like a town (like Eureka, I guess).

I heard that Portmeirion was not being used. I think that is a good thing to be honest, it would be too much like the 60s version if they used Portmeirion. It needs a fresh new look.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    The_Master wrote:
    I heard that Portmeirion was not being used. I think that is a good thing to be honest, it would be too much like the 60s version if they used Portmeirion. It needs a fresh new look.

True. Plus you'd have to close off the entire section of coastline in that part of North Wales to do long and wide shots. That would surely hurt tourism. :(

I just hope they mention or at least show a picture of Portmeirion to show how the previous attempt at keeping people detained failed. That would be pretty cool IMO. :D

If you're going to do a remake at least refer to the original source material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chindley wrote:
    True. Plus you'd have to close off the entire section of coastline in that part of North Wales to do long and wide shots. That would surely hurt tourism. :(

I just hope they mention or at least show a picture of Portmeirion to show how the previous attempt at keeping people detained failed. That would be pretty cool IMO. :D

If you're going to do a remake at least refer to the original source material.

I like that idea, it would provide some continuity.
    I can see that your location is North Wales. I have visited Portmeirion, it is a beautiful place. My wife is from Aberystwyth, so I know the area fairly well. It would not be good to hurt the tourism. It is a shame you don't have to pay 5p to get into Porthmadog any more.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from Chris Eccleston, who else could take the role of Number Six? personally I would love to see Rupert Penry Jones in the role though he's commited to Spooks so it may not be possible.

Also, Does anyone think it's strange that AMC are co-producing, I would of The Sci-Fi Channel would of taken the oppurtunity considering Sky helped to co-invest in BSG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a reimagining. Who says Number Six has to be a man?

I'd take Tricia Helfer over Christopher Eccleston any day!
  • Options
    TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote:

Then you'd be inundated with Dr Who anoraks endlessly repeating the "why did you resign?" gag...
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be really good.....could be really bad....

I hope they do change things a bit from the orginal. Make it a bit less weird.....Keep the village (but change the location), keep the number six/number two...keep the white ball, but then expand it from that.

It could be similar to a British 'Lost' with mystery, suspense etc...