Options

Integral and Sandisk USB Flash Drives

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share some things I've found out about USB flash drives....

It would appear that Integral, Sandisk and some other manufacturers are using technology to partition their flash drives.

Many firms, such as Sandisk are using U3 to do this - see wikipedia entry... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3 This seems to make the flash drive appear as a CDrom and removable disk. I'm not sure whether this would affect the HDR, but if it does, you can get removal software from the U3 website (link on the wikipedia page).

Integral, however, use a different form of partitioning, and on their website they say that there is no way to remove it.

By default, if you put the USB ICE Flash drive in the HDR, it says that you must use devices which are FAT16/32 or ext2/3 compatible, and it refuses to work.

Further investigation revealed that the drive is partitioned by default with the inital partition set to 2MB using FAT12, and the second partition the remainder of the disk using FAT32.

There do seem to be some complex fixes around using linux to re-write the partition tables on the drive itself, but I wasn't successful at getting these to work.

The workaround seems to be to use Integral's partitioning software (provided on the key), to alter the partition sizes so that the inital partition contains most of the space, with the second partition formatted to 2mb at FAT12... It works then....

Hassle!

Regrds
Chris

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    c2r wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share some things I've found out about USB flash drives....

It would appear that Integral, Sandisk and some other manufacturers are using technology to partition their flash drives.

Many firms, such as Sandisk are using U3 to do this - see wikipedia entry... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3 This seems to make the flash drive appear as a CDrom and removable disk. I'm not sure whether this would affect the HDR, but if it does, you can get removal software from the U3 website (link on the wikipedia page).

Integral, however, use a different form of partitioning, and on their website they say that there is no way to remove it.

By default, if you put the USB ICE Flash drive in the HDR, it says that you must use devices which are FAT16/32 or ext2/3 compatible, and it refuses to work.

Further investigation revealed that the drive is partitioned by default with the inital partition set to 2MB using FAT12, and the second partition the remainder of the disk using FAT32.

There do seem to be some complex fixes around using linux to re-write the partition tables on the drive itself, but I wasn't successful at getting these to work.

The workaround seems to be to use Integral's partitioning software (provided on the key), to alter the partition sizes so that the inital partition contains most of the space, with the second partition formatted to 2mb at FAT12... It works then....

Hassle!

Regrds
    Chris

Sandisk Cruzer drives work fine, no need to delete the installed software.

Woolfynorm.