When you don't hear back about jobs...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had two interviews last week, both for jobs I really wanted. The first was an initial interview (where I was told they'd be in touch) and the second was a follow-up interview.

I hope I'm not being too impatient, and I know that sometimes you can wait ages before hearing back. I was a bit disheartened, because one of the companies I interviewed with (the first one) posted on Twitter that they'd just taken someone on at my level... As far as I was aware there was only one position advertised.

I've emailed them both to ascertain whether I've been successful, as I'd rather just know one way or another. Is it me, or is it a little bit rude not to afford people the courtesy of letting them know whether they've been successful when they've invested a lot of time in preparing for an interview, turning up, researching the company, etc....

Feel a bit low... :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally if you haven't been successful, you'll recieve a letter in the post. Not often that you get a phone call advising you haven't got the position
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    My first professional job - I went for an interview and didn't hear. eventually - weeks later - I rang and was told that i could have the job if I still wanted it! turned out that the two partners had thought that the other had written to offer me the jobm, but neither had.

sometimes an appointment process stalls and those in the frame don't hear. chasing up politely shows interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Spoon wrote: »
    My first professional job - I went for an interview and didn't hear. eventually - weeks later - I rang and was told that i could have the job if I still wanted it! turned out that the two partners had thought that the other had written to offer me the jobm, but neither had.

sometimes an appointment process stalls and those in the frame don't hear. chasing up politely shows interest.

Thanks Spoon.

That's what I've done - I've sent a couple of polite emails to both places - I'm hoping that I sound eager rather than pushy!
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel. I've been in your exact position. Some companies are great and will provide you with extensive feedback as to why you may not have been successful (if this is the case here). Others...well they're shit. It costs nothing to give someone 5 minutes to explain why someone else was more suited to the role. Especially given that you took a lot of time out to not only attend but prepare for the interview.

It's extremely bad practice not to provide feedback. I work in marketing for a recruitment consultancy and we always give feedback to our candidates.

There is nothing wrong with chasing up for feedback, it is the least you deserve.

Persevere with your search. Join job boards like Total Jobs and Reed and upload your CV there. Get on LinkedIn and join various job groups. Just get your name out there.

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel. I've been in your exact position. Some companies are great and will provide you with extensive feedback as to why you may not have been successful (if this is the case here). Others...well they're shit. It costs nothing to give someone 5 minutes to explain why someone else was more suited to the role. Especially given that you took a lot of time out to not only attend but prepare for the interview.

It's extremely bad practice not to provide feedback. I work in marketing for a recruitment consultancy and we always give feedback to our candidates.

There is nothing wrong with chasing up for feedback, it is the least you deserve.

Persevere with your search. Join job boards like Total Jobs and Reed and upload your CV there. Get on LinkedIn and join various job groups. Just get your name out there.

Good luck!

Thank you for the lovely, thoughtful response, Steve. Great advice, and very reassuring to realise that I'm not going nuts! I read your thread, by the way - I really hope you're getting on ok. Good luck to you, too.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    Thank you for the lovely, thoughtful response, Steve. Great advice, and very reassuring to realise that I'm not going nuts! I read your thread, by the way - I really hope you're getting on ok. Good luck to you, too.

Thanks! All good with me now! :)

You certainly aren't going nuts. In fact, we had someone on the phone this morning asking for some feedback on an interview she attended. Whilst we always strive to provide feedback, the client has gone completely dark on us so we can't provide any. This in turn reflects badly on us.

Some people are just lazy (they call it busy) to provide feedback. It's really, really bad.

Some people are lucky and get a job at their first interview, others can take a few more. Assuming you weren't fortunate enough to get this job, take it as a learning curve. Each interview allows you to perfect your delivery, eye contact, confidence and whatever else. You'll get there eventually!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! All good with me now! :)

You certainly aren't going nuts. In fact, we had someone on the phone this morning asking for some feedback on an interview she attended. Whilst we always strive to provide feedback, the client has gone completely dark on us so we can't provide any. This in turn reflects badly on us.

Some people are just lazy (they call it busy) to provide feedback. It's really, really bad.

Some people are lucky and get a job at their first interview, others can take a few more. Assuming you weren't fortunate enough to get this job, take it as a learning curve. Each interview allows you to perfect your delivery, eye contact, confidence and whatever else. You'll get there eventually!

Aw, really glad to hear all is well now. I suppose it's comforting to know that hundreds of thousands of people (including me!) have been in your situation, never thinking they'd come out the other end but who are now incredibly happy. I'm really glad things are on the up - you seem like a really kind person and deserve to be happy.

I thought the fact that one of the companies had posted a tweet praising their new employee was a bit much (that's assuming there are no more positions available) - bit insensitive when they haven't told people who are unsuccessful.

Had a similar experience with one of my recruitment agencies (who are very good) - they were trying to get feedback, but their client couldn't be bothered to provide any. I don't think they always appreciate that your life is effectively on hold until you hear back from them.

You're definitely right - all good experience! :)
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the job I'm in now by calling them up after interview and asking them.

I had a good interview, they said I'd hear by 5pm that night. I sat and waited by the phone, heard nothing. Bucket loads of tears. Slept on it, thought I did a damn good interview there, nothing was wrong with it, I want to find out why they rejected me. Called them up, and got offered the job - they created a post for me because I'd shown I used initiative.

10 months down the line, I'm now itching to get out, but that's a different story! Sometimes it's worth making that phone call - don't do chase up emails, they're too easy to ignore. Good luck!
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a nailbiter. Best job I ever got took longer than expected to reply: turns out they were checking references before making a formal offer. Good luck, - and if you don't get it, it doesn't mean you were weaker, just that someone else fitted more closely the type that they were seeking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    I got the job I'm in now by calling them up after interview and asking them.

I had a good interview, they said I'd hear by 5pm that night. I sat and waited by the phone, heard nothing. Bucket loads of tears. Slept on it, thought I did a damn good interview there, nothing was wrong with it, I want to find out why they rejected me. Called them up, and got offered the job - they created a post for me because I'd shown I used initiative.

10 months down the line, I'm now itching to get out, but that's a different story! Sometimes it's worth making that phone call - don't do chase up emails, they're too easy to ignore. Good luck!

Hmm... That's a good point - thanks MarzBar! I emailed them two days ago - do you think that I should phone this week or leave it until next week (assuming I haven't heard back?)
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm... That's a good point - thanks MarzBar! I emailed them two days ago - do you think that I should phone this week or leave it until next week (assuming I haven't heard back?)

I'd call them, at least it puts it out of your mind. As long as you're not calling them every day, and it's after the time they said they'd notify you, you're not being pushy.

Just a casual, I'm looking for feedback from my interview, is all that is needed.

I know that low feeling though, the wait is worse because you're in limbo. For every rejection I got, I filled out more application forms. When I did agency work, a good boss told me that sometimes if you contact the company and ask about the job, (what is involved, what are the hours, what do they do etc.) it shows you are interested in the work, and will help your CV to stand out - they have a name to look for if you do that. In times like this, you need to make yourself stand out - you can't really do that on paper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    I'd call them, at least it puts it out of your mind. As long as you're not calling them every day, and it's after the time they said they'd notify you, you're not being pushy.

Just a casual, I'm looking for feedback from my interview, is all that is needed.

I know that low feeling though, the wait is worse because you're in limbo. For every rejection I got, I filled out more application forms. When I did agency work, a good boss told me that sometimes if you contact the company and ask about the job, (what is involved, what are the hours, what do they do etc.) it shows you are interested in the work, and will help your CV to stand out - they have a name to look for if you do that. In times like this, you need to make yourself stand out - you can't really do that on paper.

Thanks - that's really good advice. I've been doing tonnes of applications! Today is the one day I haven't :-). You're right about phoning up - it's also worked for me in the past.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with that x 1 million. I also think that if it were a good healthy job market, I would consider turning down a job if their interviewing process seemed shoddy and leaving people in the dark.

For my last job - two weeks of silence after a face to face interview, before being offered a second interview, for no good reason. When they were interviewing my replacement (I was leaving because I couldn't stand the place), I saw how negligent they were behind the scenes.

For my current job - they replied to all 200 applicants, the top 50 with details about why they were rejected and I got a second interview email 2 days after the first. I was also offered the job just 5 days after my second interview, which they had promised to do so they could think about it over the weekend. All clear and very professional.

The one thing I would say OP is that they may still be interviewing other candidates or considering them - I had to postpone my second interview with my current place and all the other candidates had to wait an extra week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    It's a nailbiter. Best job I ever got took longer than expected to reply: turns out they were checking references before making a formal offer. Good luck, - and if you don't get it, it doesn't mean you were weaker, just that someone else fitted more closely the type that they were seeking.

Thanks Mumof3 - that's very reassuring! Am trying to see all interviews as experience, as I'm going into a different field of work to what I'm in already.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really depressing isn't it. I applied for a civil service job 2 years ago and they said I had been put on a list but that was all and I forgot about it. Last week I got the security forms through to get checked! Unbelievable, still sent them off though lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    It's really depressing isn't it. I applied for a civil service job 2 years ago and they said I had been put on a list but that was all and I forgot about it. Last week I got the security forms through to get checked! Unbelievable, still sent them off though lol.

They seem to be ridiculously slow!! Know someone who had exactly same time frame of waiting (around 2 years) before she got the security checks done, etc.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to be ridiculously slow!! Know someone who had exactly same time frame of waiting (around 2 years) before she got the security checks done, etc.

Suppose they just don't have the jobs available at the minute. Its worse when you meet the interviewer face to face though and spend the days and evenings waiting for the phone. You feel like such a reject :o maybe thats just me taking it too personally, I know there are people with business degrees applying for jobs in Tesco and so on but still it makes me wonder if I have some kind of personality defect that makes everyone hate me :o:o
  • Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've applied to lots of jobs and its very disheartening when you don't hear back.

I had an interview this morning and they said they would let me know by the end of tomorrow. Though the interview didn't go amazingly :/
    It was a strange interview as well. Rather than a panel, I was interview by one person for 25 minutes and then a different person for another 20 or so minutes. They asked a few of the same questions as well.

My last interview was on Tuesday morning. They said they would let me know by the end of the day, well its Thursday now...

I think you just have to keep on going, and don't let it get you down. Always ask for feedback as well, its very bad if they don't offer it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun! wrote: »
    I've applied to lots of jobs and its very disheartening when you don't hear back.

I had an interview this morning and they said they would let me know by the end of tomorrow. Though the interview didn't go amazingly :/
    It was a strange interview as well. Rather than a panel, I was interview by one person for 25 minutes and then a different person for another 20 or so minutes. They asked a few of the same questions as well.

My last interview was on Tuesday morning. They said they would let me know by the end of the day, well its Thursday now...

I think you just have to keep on going, and don't let it get you down. Always ask for feedback as well, its very bad if they don't offer it.

Sun, that sounds exactly like my interview on Friday!! One person interviewed me for about 15 mins (and had someone elses's CV on the table and mistakenly asked me questions about it...), then she got one of her other staff to come in and chat - it all seemed very haphazard...

I didn't feel mine went terribly well either, but perhaps it's because we're not used to this format of interview and it's a bit unnerving.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way it's unprofessional for them not to let you know. So if you don't hear then get in touch and ask for some feedback which could be really useful to you for future interviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Either way it's unprofessional for them not to let you know. So if you don't hear then get in touch and ask for some feedback which could be really useful to you for future interviews.

I agree - I've contacted both of mine (by email, fair enough - will probably phone later); it's funny to see how when you're approaching the interview the emails fly back and forward and then afterwards it's as if they pretend you don't exist.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - I've contacted both of mine (by email, fair enough - will probably phone later); it's funny to see how when you're approaching the interview the emails fly back and forward and then afterwards it's as if they pretend you don't exist.

Make a bit of a nuisance of yourself and get them to send you a formal letter of rejection. It's the least they can do after you took the trouble to attend an interview. But more importantly get the feedback - this is really the only bit that's going to be of any use now.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I agree with that x 1 million. I also think that if it were a good healthy job market, I would consider turning down a job if their interviewing process seemed shoddy and leaving people in the dark.

For my last job - two weeks of silence after a face to face interview, before being offered a second interview, for no good reason. When they were interviewing my replacement (I was leaving because I couldn't stand the place), I saw how negligent they were behind the scenes.

For my current job - they replied to all 200 applicants, the top 50 with details about why they were rejected and I got a second interview email 2 days after the first. I was also offered the job just 5 days after my second interview, which they had promised to do so they could think about it over the weekend. All clear and very professional.

The one thing I would say OP is that they may still be interviewing other candidates or considering them - I had to postpone my second interview with my current place and all the other candidates had to wait an extra week.

That is very impressive but I think it's fair to say that a lot of organisations don't have the resources to do that.

Our benchmark is that all unsuccessful applicants are informed that they have not been shortlisted within 24 hours of short listing completion. Successful candidates are offered the job the same day of the interview, if we are able to, but if not as soon as possible during office hours. Unsuccessful candidates are notified by the end of business on the next working day with offers of feedback.

It is very poor for companies not to get back to candidates who have been interviewed. I would not like to be treated like that so I wouldn't inflict that unprofessionalism on anyone else.

Ask the interviewers for some feedback OP, I would call rather than email.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I traveled 80 miles for two separate interviews last week, and not one of them has gotten back to me. One of the postions began on monday, so I know I didnt get it. The other interview went really well and I thought I did great. They said they would call me on Monday or Tuesday at the latest? Still no word :( I am just pissed off cos they no I travelled and they dont have the decency to pick up a phone, or drop an email and let me know. It is so annoying and depressing:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for your replies :-).

Just got an email from one place with some nice feedback (it was largely due to my lack of experience, but they said they were really impressed, etc) They also apologised for the delay in responding.

Just waiting to hear about other one now...