What if Forums were around to talk about Wrestling in the 80's /90's

Comments

• EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think someone requested a wrestling sub forum a couple of years ago, but the mods rejected the idea.

Don't use a single thread for everything (how do you keep track of anything in it with it all crammed in together?), if this forum gets swamped with wrestling threads the other users (myself included for Better Call Saul) will complain and it will corner them into creating one. Force the issue! If you render the forum unusable for everyone else you'll get your own one.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    I don't think we really warrant a sub section to be honest. The two major promotions are discussed in their particular threads and there is a lot of WCW discussion throughout the WWE thread.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EELover wrote: »
    Don't use a single thread for everything (how do you keep track of anything in it with it all crammed in together?), if this forum gets swamped with wrestling threads the other users (myself included for Better Call Saul) will complain and it will corner them into creating one. Force the issue! If you render the forum unusable for everyone else you'll get your own one.

I don't think that would work. The mods would probably just lock the threads if it got out of hand.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we really warrant a sub section to be honest. The two major promotions are discussed in their particular threads and there is a lot of WCW discussion throughout the WWE thread.

There's also a Japanese thread and Lucha Underground thread that are both pretty dead.

Plus, it's not like WCW are going to be putting out any new stuff for us to continue discussion.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    There's also a Japanese thread and Lucha Underground thread that are both pretty dead.

Plus, it's not like WCW are going to be putting out any new stuff for us to continue discussion.

Yeah until I posted in the TNA thread yesterday, there wasn't a post since March 20th. I don't think there is much long running discussion that warrants having separate threads for each. Nice idea though if there was a bigger number of us participating in varying topics.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    I was think more of Hogan just strolling in, challenging Yoko to an impromptu match, winning the title in seconds and then disappearing until KOTR. What total waste of time, and then he refused to pass the torch to Bret later in the year!

I think Yoko was ok, safe for a man his size (no causing injuries to everyone like Mabel) and had ok matches with Bret. Don't remember a lot of hate for him at the time in 94 onwards, IWC seemed lukewarm to positive. His moves looked good too.

That was more Vince playing one off the other and well loved the plan those two came up with greatest ending to a mania. With Yoko his match against Bret at mania 10 didnt have go short.
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Yokozuna used to bore me senseless back in 1993 and 1994. Although when I revisited his matches I realized how much I underrated him.

Another act that bored me was Mr Bob Backlund, which I guess was the point to an extent. Looking back at it now and I really admire him for returning into a different world and playing such a departure from his 1970's act with so much heart. That type of character in the New Generation Era was really clever of Vince too.

Highlights the difference between being a 10 year old casual fan and a much older smark.

Not just you I was fed up of a heel champion having the title for so long. I really wanted Luger to get the belt at Summerslam or even during the fall. Oh the joys of tuning into eurosport one saturday afternoon and I see Great Muta in the ring and a familiar WWF song was playing and thought did I just see the WWF Title belt. Yep. Great Match.
    TBH when I was a kid I thought the Undertaker was an awful wrestler/worker up until his feud with Mankind in 1996 (liked the gimmick hated the longer matches). Bar Bret Hart (who seemed to be able to have a good match with anyone), his matches in WWF to date stunk an I hadn't seen his pre-WWF stuff. It became apparent he was saddled with bad opponents and his zombie gimmick being played too heavy at the time made it impossible for decent wrestlers to get a good match done (Bret was the main person who did it) when in fact he was a good wrestler under it all.

I always felt had Warrior not done a runner in the summer of 91 we could have very well had a Warrior/Taker match at Wrestlemania which Warrior would have obviously won. The streak wasent thought of then so could only imagine how they would play it out years later.

I know they did want Savage & Jake to do battle at Wrestlemania before it got changed and they did the match at SNME instead so presumably they wouldnt have turned Taker face in Feb/March time and as Taker & Warrior were battling each other in house show matches either singles or bodybag matches im sure they would have done a match at the biggest PPV of the year.
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that would work. The mods would probably just lock the threads if it got out of hand.

That would depend on how much work it causes. If it's manageable for them then yes it won't work, if it ends up sucking up all their time then... what would you do as site owner pay people to close the wrestling threads (costly) or open a sub-forum (free). If the interest is there they won't have a choice.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, if these forums existed in the 80's/early 90's and people were aware of AWA, NWA, WCCW and UWF. Many on here would absolutely hate Vince McMahon for what would do to:

Sheepherders (Bushwhackers)
    Kevin Kelly (Nailz)
    Ricky Steamboat (The Dragon)
    Mike Rotunda (IRS)
    Jim Duggan (Hacksaw)
    Dusty Rhodes (Polka Dots)
    Terry Taylor (Red Rooster)
    Ron Garvin (Rugged Ronnie)

Performers who were having quality psychology led matches and brawls turned into one dimension cartoon characters designed to shift action figures for Hasbro.
    Forum Member
    Out of that list id say the only one who didnt deserve to be in it is garvin. He still came off pretty strong and really enjoyed his match against Valentine at the Rumble.
  • goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Thinking about it, if these forums existed in the 80's/early 90's and people were aware of AWA, NWA, WCCW and UWF. Many on here would absolutely hate Vince McMahon for what would do to:

Sheepherders (Bushwhackers)
    Kevin Kelly (Nailz)
    Ricky Steamboat (The Dragon)
    Mike Rotunda (IRS)
    Jim Duggan (Hacksaw)
    Dusty Rhodes (Polka Dots)
    Terry Taylor (Red Rooster)
    Ron Garvin (Rugged Ronnie)

Performers who were having quality psychology led matches and brawls turned into one dimension cartoon characters designed to shift action figures for Hasbro.

I don't know a lot about Steamboat in WWE as it was before my time. What was he like and how was he treated? I remember having his wrestling figure, it was one the coolest ones as you could get him to jump.
    Forum Member
    goodol ls wrote: »
    I don't know a lot about Steamboat in WWE as it was before my time. What was he like and how was he treated? I remember having his wrestling figure, it was one the coolest ones as you could get him to jump.

What era are you on about? Do you mean 85 time or do you mean 1991 time where they tried to make him out as a brand new wrestler that would wear a dragon cape and hood and blow fire from his mouth?

Kinda sad really we never got Flair/Steamboat in the WWF as there were only just there at the same time well till WWE wanted Steamboat losing to guys like Skinner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    85 time
    Forum Member
    Yeah he was a good wrestler. I watched the 1985 year last year and felt he was put in a few low key feuds until he started wrestling the well known names and then moving onto Savage. He seriously pissed Vince off when after he won the IC belt he asked for time off to spend wife his wife who had just given birth to their son. His WWE career didnt really go far after that as I reckon WWE would have had him and Macho wrestle in the Quarter finals at mania 4.

I know this is before WWF but liked this match of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHG8lIlP64I
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when he was Dragon vaguely but he didn't really resonate with me.
    Forum Member
    Whats everyones take on Brody?
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy Roddy Piper was the man. :-D
    He has his own Podcasts now, which are worth a listen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats everyones take on Brody?

Didn't he stab someone to death
    Forum Member
    Didn't he stab someone to death

Jose Gonzales stabbed Brody to death and walked away a free man because he was buddies with the companys boss who defended him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would have been said on this forum about steroid abuse in the early nineties?
    Forum Member
    Who knows. Personally would it really be any of the fans business what they are doing in their private life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not. I just think people would have cottoned on to some of the wrestler's unnatural body shape.
  • WWE MankindWWE Mankind Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I am glad I was never around the internet. Wrestling had an air of mystery to it. Who would win the big one, where was the ketchup bottle when the wrestlers bled? Rumors of backstage fall outs.

Everything like the soaps especially are boring sue to the fact there is no mystery surrounding these shows anymore, which is a huge shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too true my friend. The air of mystery has all but disappeared
  • WWE MankindWWE Mankind Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Too true my friend. The air of mystery has all but disappeared

Wrestlemania Rock vs Hogan and Jericho's Undisputed Championship win was fantastic as I had no idea who was going to win!

I was convinced Mankinds fall off the cage was all staged as a young lad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bump that was. One of my all time greatest moments as a fan.