itv programme on michael shields last night

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
Forum Member
possibly the most one-sided bit of programming i have ever seen.

so basically i'm supposed to believe that michael shields is innocent because a retired copper who wants to make a name for himself says so. funny how he was dubious of almost everything that happened in the 'bulgarian' trial, but
took everything the 'english' man said at face value.

funny how the victim in this case has been ignored, isn't his welfare the most important.

p.s.

if michael is released do you think they'll be a campaign to find out who the real culprit is? do you think they'll be a petition and a documentary on it?

answers on a postcard.

Comments

• GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if they showed it last night but when this was in the news, I noticed that the banner on the front of his house, presumably put there by his family or supporters, spelled his surname incorrectly. It was "Sheilds" instead of "Shields".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can believe what you want but I don’t think most people even needed this retired detective to highlight the clear list of flaws and absolute travesties of justice with this case, if a young boy wasn’t sitting in prison for it would almost be laughable such were the blunders of this entire case.

I think the welfare of a victim of crime and also someone falsely accused of a crime who might spend his life (or good part of it) in prison is almost equal actually
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    You can believe what you want but I don’t think most people even needed this retired detective to highlight the clear list of flaws and absolute travesties of justice with this case, if a young boy wasn’t sitting in prison for it would almost be laughable such were the blunders of this entire case.

I think the welfare of a victim of crime and also someone falsely accused of a crime who might spend his life (or good part of it) in prison is almost equal actually

go on convince me. all i hear in shields' defence are tittle tattle and half truths. i would be grateful if you could supply me concrete evidence of these "travesties of justice".

if it was bulgarian languishing in an english prison, then no-one would care would they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched the show yet (I taped it), but surely the fact that the trial took place so quickly shows it was a rushed affair. Most trials take years to come to court, and from what I have read, there seems to be some flaws in the case. I don't know if he is guilty or innocent but he does deserve a fair trial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Police barging into his bedroom and looking through his clothes- then forcing him to put on a white t-shirt before he left with them- the very clothes the attacker was wearing. Stopping on the way to the police station with the defendant in the back at the scene of crime - still fresh with witnesses standing around and all very raw- with a man in handcuffs sat in back of police car so everyone can get a good look. Chaining him to a radiator on the police stations reception for 16 HOURS- again with witnesses walking around him. The Id Parade? Having an Id parade with only 3 other men of a complete and utter opposite appearance and nationality to him- so he stood out like an English saw thumb. Allowing the witnesses to have a discussion as a group before they all picked him out.

Only three of them did- with totally conflicting reports if what he had supposedly done ion the attack. This is the only evidence in the trial against him. They did not even bother to take the stone thrown at the victim and analyse for even the simplest, easiest evidence to find and link to the real attacker of the crime- this is absolutely amateur work.

Not accepting 4 people as saying they were an alibi to confirm he was asleep in bed-where police found him as they barged in- and only when they had gone to room next door- hadn’t found guy they were looking for there - so burst into this room clearly wanting to arrest someone so thought Shields would do.

Not accepting the statement of a man who has come forward and confessed to the crime and actually fits picture of the man witnesses described!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    go on convince me. all i hear in shields' defence are tittle tattle and half truths. i would be grateful if you could supply me concrete evidence of these "travesties of justice".

if it was bulgarian languishing in an english prison, then no-one would care would they?

I’m sorry to say: these are not ‘half truths’- they are what happened by many peoples account and the Bulgarian police have not denied this in any way.
    The fact is- if a Bulgarian was in a UK prison he would not have suffered the series of blunders Shields had in getting there- as we luckily have strict guidelines of as with ID parades and court procedures- which meant if certain things had happened as with Shields i.e. police stopping at recent scene of crime with defendant in the back in handcuffs- id parade etc- the case would have actually been thrown out and many officers fired as a result.
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the ASDA check-out counter court of justice: beep! Guilty! beep! Innocent! beep! [holds up case for supervisor...] :rolleyes: