still no firmware update for foxsat-hdr

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scartart wrote: »
    It's a software issue so don't really want to go through the hassle of swapping out the hardware for no reason especially when nobody has stock so I won't get a replacement anyway.

It's not a software issue, get your box changed.

Les.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm becoming increasingly disappointed and frustrated with the HDR and Humax. I'm getting frequent pauses/crashing during playback, which also fails any currently recording programmes, plus issues that others are seeing but no response at all from Humax.

I've sent emails to their support without even an acknowledgment let alone an explanation or fix date.

I purchased the product knowing it was new to market and that it would have some teething problems but I was expecting regular bug fixes to be made available and a level of communication from the manufacturer.

Cannot be software, else all hell would have broken lose in the first few weeks following release. Sounds like either a rogue box or could it be your reception ? What kind of signal readings are you getting ?

The reason there has been no regular bug fixes is there are no real show stopper faults, simple as. Yes I have had a small number of occasions when the box would not come on and needed to cycle power, I can live with that for a while.

Do agree about response from support .... is there actually any support ?
  • Mike000000001Mike000000001 Posts: 370
    Forum Member

The reason there has been no regular bug fixes is there are no real show stopper faults, simple as. Yes I have had a small number of occasions when the box would not come on and needed to cycle power, I can live with that for a while.

Do agree about response from support .... is there actually any support ?

So what counts as a show stopper then? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    savvy wrote: »
    It's not a software issue, get your box changed.

Les.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe I don't :D:D
    'm getting frequent pauses/crashing during playback, which also fails any currently recording programmes

But show me the hundreds of reports that exhibit this playback crashing problem.

If it was prevalent, hence a bug, it would be widely reported.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be difficult here, I just don't see this as a common thread on the forum.

No need to be so personal in your accusation - I'm only trying to help :) You might wait for ages for a software fix, only to find it's your box - change it while you can.

I only offer my thoughts based on my experience, and what I see others reporting.

I won't lose any sleep if you see it as a software problem :)

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what counts as a show stopper then? :confused:

Thats easy, I had a Topfield PVR from the early days - so plenty of experience of really really bad problems in firmware.

How about your box rebooting in a cycle every time you tune to a BBC channel and everyone (I mean everyone) with the machine having exactly the same problem at the same time. How about if that happens at the same time as BBC are showing a live England game - no I'm not making this up, this is what actually happened ! THAT is a show stopper.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats easy, I had a Topfield PVR from the early days - so plenty of experience of really really bad problems in firmware.

How about your box rebooting in a cycle every time you tune to a BBC channel and everyone (I mean everyone) with the machine having exactly the same problem at the same time. How about if that happens at the same time as BBC are showing a live England game - no I'm not making this up, this is what actually happened ! THAT is a show stopper.

I had a Topfield as well, the clear difference is that everyone had the same problem. My foxsat-hdr has worked flawlessly since last November. It missed a recording once (the programme was not transmitted).
    Forum Member
    I had a Topfield as well, the clear difference is that everyone had the same problem. My foxsat-hdr has worked flawlessly since last November. It missed a recording once (the programme was not transmitted).

This is nonsense! OF COURSE if everyone had the same problem they would HAVE to IMMEDIATELY correct it. In fact, how on earth did they test it and let it out like that?

But everyone doesn't have the same equipment to connect to. Just ignoring those who have issues getting their Humax to talk to any of their equipment unless they follow a certain routine is just plain silly. It IS a show stopper for anyone who has a high end Yamaha amp if they have to make sure they switch inputs on the amp AFTER switching the HDR out of active standby. It IS a showstopper if the same is true for their Toshiba LCD. It IS a showstopper if it also happens with an auto switching HDMI hub. How many other bits of equipment are giving problems? Who is going to put up with switching the Amp, TV, etc to DVR, switching on the HDR, then having to switch every other bit of equipment to another input and back again to get sound or picture.

A good measure of "showstopper" is this: imagine you saw an advert which explained this fault as a feature. Would you buy it? Would anybody reading THIS POST be put off buying?

I am plain sick of hearing the "my box works perfectly" brigade! Come to MY house and try it with MY equipment and see how you feel then!

Now, let's all be civil to one another and supportive and try to get Humax to listen to its disgruntled customers who say that May (possibly July) isn't soon enough!
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am plain sick of hearing the "my box works perfectly" brigade! Come to MY house and try it with MY equipment and see how you feel then!

This is something that happens accross the whole spectrum of user experience.

For example, when people were having major problems with Vista you'd always get some moron piping up "I've been using it for two months without a problem, there's nothing wrong with it". :rolleyes:

It may be useful in certain circumstaces when the scope of the problem needs to be defined to state how you are using something successfully but after that it's just a waste of time and an annoyance to people who have a genuine problem.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine works ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member

But everyone doesn't have the same equipment to connect to. Just ignoring those who have issues getting their Humax to talk to any of their equipment unless they follow a certain routine is just plain silly. It IS a show stopper for anyone who has a high end Yamaha amp if they have to make sure they switch inputs on the amp AFTER switching the HDR out of active standby. It IS a showstopper if the same is true for their Toshiba LCD. It IS a showstopper if it also happens with an auto switching HDMI hub. How many other bits of equipment are giving problems? Who is going to put up with switching the Amp, TV, etc to DVR, switching on the HDR, then having to switch every other bit of equipment to another input and back again to get sound or picture.

Do you think humax is responsible for equipment which has problems with hdcp handshaking if the other end is starting the transaction?
    Btw. if you have such problems did you ever try to disable hdcp as default in the humax setup menu?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    drevil666 wrote: »
    Humax support told me that the next firmware is May with further updates later in the year. I think the May update is to fix some of the bugs that have been bugging us as well as other fixes, although I don't know the details.

That would be a joke. 6 months for any kind of an update.
    I appreciate the time and work involved in making improvements, but in a way it is quite bad for some issues to be fixed after only 6 months.

Humax can be happy to have the exclusivity for the time being, but if there had been (more) competition on the HD-HDR front, I might have gone to a Toppy or something.
    Forum Member
    mgb77 wrote: »
    Do you think humax is responsible for equipment which has problems with hdcp handshaking if the other end is starting the transaction?
    Btw. if you have such problems did you ever try to disable hdcp as default in the humax setup menu?

Yes. I think the clue is in where this option is: TV Setup. TV setup? My TV is the other end of my Amp. What does HDMI have to do exclusively with TVs?

If I walked up to someone I knew and tried to shake hands and they refused, I would think there was something wrong! :D

What kind of protocol fails if it isn't in charge? Answer: a cr*p one!
  • u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    I also believe there is a problem with the HDRs hdmi handshake.

I have problems with blank screens, my video processor saying there is no input signal from the HDR.

The HDR behaves differently to the Foxsat HD which always gave a picture when switched on from standby.

Never had any problems with any other hdmi product plugged into my system.

So I too am keenly awaiting a firmware update to see if this issue is addressed.
  • Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    When I first got my SKY HD box I experienced problems with the 'ANYNET' feature of the Samsung Telly and associated equipment. Plugging the HDMI from the SKY box into the telly totally screwed up the ability for the SAMSUNG telly to operate the Surround Sound using the 'ANYNET' features.

It was confirmed by Samsung as an issue with the SKY HD BOX and they (SAMSUNG) were working on a fix.

It was eventually sorted after about six months.

The whole point of that little story is that the Humax type of issues that are being experienced by some peeps are not unique to Humax and sometimes it is the original equipment that causes the problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Yes. I think the clue is in where this option is: TV Setup. TV setup? My TV is the other end of my Amp. What does HDMI have to do exclusively with TVs?

If I walked up to someone I knew and tried to shake hands and they refused, I would think there was something wrong! :D

What kind of protocol fails if it isn't in charge? Answer: a cr*p one!

Menu -> Settings -> TV setup -> HDCP default -> disable

Don't start your humax box with bbchd. Thats the onliest channel who want a hdcp secured connection.
    Beside that it looks like your so called high end equipment is not willing to follow striktly the specs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drevil666 wrote: »
    Humax support told me that the next firmware is May with further updates later in the year. I think the May update is to fix some of the bugs that have been bugging us as well as other fixes, although I don't know the details.

So it's to be May.
    Did they say which year?
  • u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    mgb77 wrote: »
    Menu -> Settings -> TV setup -> HDCP default -> disable

Don't start your humax box with bbchd. Thats the onliest channel who want a hdcp secured connection.
    Beside that it looks like your so called high end equipment is not willing to follow striktly the specs.

Its not a hdcp problem.

I get a green screen if that cannot be negotiated.

The problem still exists if you disable the hdcp in the HDR menu.

Also, if you do this your tv will still need to negotiate HDCP if you subsequently tune to BBCHD.

Why do you assume it's his "high end equipment" thats at fault.

I can demonstrate my Humax Foxsat HD doesn't have the problem but the HDR does.

So which Humax product is correctly following the HDMI specs?

By the way I have previously been told by a Humax representative that the Foxsat HD passes all HDMI certification tests.
    Forum Member
    Maybe I don't :D:D

But show me the hundreds of reports that exhibit this playback crashing problem.

If it was prevalent, hence a bug, it would be widely reported.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be difficult here, I just don't see this as a common thread on the forum.

No need to be so personal in your accusation - I'm only trying to help :) You might wait for ages for a software fix, only to find it's your box - change it while you can.

I only offer my thoughts based on my experience, and what I see others reporting.

I won't lose any sleep if you see it as a software problem :)

Rgds.

Les.

I've searched around on the net and I've found another user with the same issue. I still believe it's a software issue, certainly it doesn't behave correctly if it has a hardware glitch however I've finally received a response from Humax support who advised I replace the unit as a first step so that's what I've done.

My new unit has new software on it - 1.00.03 6 March 2009.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've searched around on the net and I've found another user with the same issue. I still believe it's a software issue, certainly it doesn't behave correctly if it has a hardware glitch however I've finally received a response from Humax support who advised I replace the unit as a first step so that's what I've done.

My new unit has new software on it - 1.00.03 6 March 2009.

Glad you got your box exchanged, one other user seems too isolated. If it was a software problem causing playback crashes it would have been reported many, many times with people demanding an immediate fix. I concur with Humax to have it replaced.

Did Humax replace it direct, or did you have to get it exchanged where you bought it?

Nice new software too, does it look any different? Any new features? - 1.00.02 is still on mine, and on the website. Maybe an update is imminent !!

I hope this one behaves for you.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Glad you got your box exchanged, one other user seems too isolated. If it was a software problem causing playback crashes it would have been reported many, many times with people demanding an immediate fix. I concur with Humax to have it replaced.

Did Humax replace it direct, or did you have to get it exchanged where you bought it?

Nice new software too - 1.00.02 is still on mine, and on the website. Maybe an update is imminent !!

I hope this one behaves for you.

Rgds.

Les.

Humax told me to take it back to the retailer. Luckily that was Argos who had 2 in stock at my local branch so I went down there first thing this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax told me to take it back to the retailer. Luckily that was Argos who had 2 in stock at my local branch so I went down there first thing this morning.

Looks like more supply is filtering through, then.

Did you see my edited question about the software?

Rgds.

Les.

Edit : Just seen your other thread about the software, so no need to reply
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    This is something that happens accross the whole spectrum of user experience.

For example, when people were having major problems with Vista you'd always get some moron piping up "I've been using it for two months without a problem, there's nothing wrong with it". :rolleyes:

It may be useful in certain circumstaces when the scope of the problem needs to be defined to state how you are using something successfully but after that it's just a waste of time and an annoyance to people who have a genuine problem.

From the perspective of a PVR thats a pretty silly argument, since the vast majority of the use cases are shared by all owners. For a PC operating system its very different as there is an almost infinite set of uses for it.

For a STB or HDR, if there are large number of people with very few issues and a minority with serious issues then its a racing certainty that these issues are either :
    1. Due to a hardware fault
    2. Due to a bad interaction between reception quality and hardware/software
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the perspective of a PVR thats a pretty silly argument, since the vast majority of the use cases are shared by all owners. For a PC operating system its very different as there is an almost infinite set of uses for it.

For a STB or HDR, if there are large number of people with very few issues and a minority with serious issues then its a racing certainty that these issues are either :
    1. Due to a hardware fault
    2. Due to a bad interaction between reception quality and hardware/software

I don't understand your objection.

The example was a statement of fact, not an argument - it's what happened.

On the second point, that it's rather silly people continually saying that something works for them once it is established that the problem is delineated by certain parameters I can't see your objection.

Yes, theres a point to it initially so that the delineation can be ascertained but after a while it's just irritating.

In Mike's case he had a very specific problem with some very specific equipment so what was the point of other people telling him that their boxes worked with completely different equipment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    I don't understand your objection.

The example was a statement of fact, not an argument - it's what happened.

On the second point, that it's rather silly people continually saying that something works for them once it is established that the problem is delineated by certain parameters I can't see your objection.

Yes, theres a point to it initially so that the delineation can be ascertained but after a while it's just irritating.

In Mike's case he had a very specific problem with some very specific equipment so what was the point of other people telling him that their boxes worked with completely different equipment?

The example may well have been factual, its just not relevant ... The moon comes out at night ... factual just not relevant.

Its a thread about when the next firmware will come out, specific problems with specific equipment are not relevant in this thread (as firmware issues are characterised as problems with everyones equipment) - hence I'm repeatedly saying the same thing.