Options

Apple probe after women is electrocuted by answer the phone

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I thought you bought an iPhone 4S?

Yes, and like i said in another post (#42 iirc) it was the Mrs 4 i tried to get the bumper for...

I cant remember the amount of times i have told you now the Mrs had a 4 and i had a 4S...
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yeah of course. You correct and everyone else is wrong as always. Same in the other thread.

However, again you are way wrong. It was a big deal. It was a design flaw which caught people like us out that lived in a low signal area already which apple turned a blind eye to. It was only after god knows how many complaints they had to do something. The media picked it up since it was a flaw and apple ignored it and that arse said to someone they were holding it wrong! Apple are their own worst enemy sometimes.

I don't understand the logic of you iusers defending a company who gives not 2 hoots about you. I'm glad i never turned into one of them.....:rolleyes:

Can't you give it a rest, are people really still getting their fan boy knickers in a twist about this semi non-issue on a 3 year old phone. The phone return stats and satisfaction rates prove the issue was overblown.

I'm left handed and tried to hold an iPhone 4 in several ways and could never personally reproduce the problem.

The return stats speak for them selves.

Meanwhile back in 2013 I'm still not convinced someone was electrocuted by a smartphone. Sounds highly unlikly
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I'm not being drawn into an argument about a clear issue regardless of how it is being portrayed now.

But :D I will just say given the amount of desire there was at that time to own an iphone the return stats whatever they may be will not tell the whole story many people would have kept the i4 even if you had to attach a piece of string and a can to make a call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Can't you give it a rest, are people really still getting their fan boy knickers in a twist about this semi non-issue on a 3 year old phone. The phone return stats and satisfaction rates prove the issue was overblown.

I'm left handed and tried to hold an iPhone 4 in several ways and could never personally reproduce the problem.

The return stats speak for them selves.

Meanwhile back in 2013 I'm still not convinced someone was electrocuted by a smartphone. Sounds highly unlikly

First of all i didnt start it yet i see you jump on me first again. Funny that....Second, your not a mod so dont tell us what we can talk about and what we cant.

Anyway, It does sound unlikely but could theoretically happen if the charger had a serious fault, had been modified somehow or they used an after market charger.

The iphone being bare metal on the sides and put up to the head could kill instantly if the above ever happened.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough. I'm betting on an after market charger.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and like i said in another post (#42 iirc) it was the Mrs 4 i tried to get the bumper for...

I cant remember the amount of times i have told you now the Mrs had a 4 and i had a 4S...

I was once again trying to clarify your ownership of apple products. After all the claimed problems you (or your wife) had with the 4 I'm surprised you then got a 4s.

How long did your wife have the 4?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was once again trying to clarify your ownership of apple products. After all the claimed problems you (or your wife) had with the 4 I'm surprised you then got a 4s.

How long did your wife have the 4?

You don't have to clarify anything. And what concern is it of your how long she had it for?

Bit nosey for your own good me thinks...
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah of course. You correct and everyone else is wrong as always. Same in the other thread.

However, again you are way wrong. It was a big deal. It was a design flaw which caught people like us out that lived in a low signal area already which apple turned a blind eye to. It was only after god knows how many complaints they had to do something. The media picked it up since it was a flaw and apple ignored it and that arse said to someone they were holding it wrong! Apple are their own worst enemy sometimes.

I don't understand the logic of you iusers defending a company who gives not 2 hoots about you. I'm glad i never turned into one of them.....:rolleyes:

The facts speak for themselves.

A mere 0.55% of customers thought it was a big enough problem to complain about it.

Fewer iPhone 4S were returned than 3GSs.

Those facts are what I base my opinion that it was blown out of proportion on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to clarify anything. And what concern is it of your how long she had it for?

Bit nosey for your own good me thinks...

Just wondered how long you experienced all the problems you have told us you suffered on a phone you appear to have never owned. Not to worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just wondered how long you experienced all the problems you have told us you suffered on a phone you appear to have never owned. Not to worry.

What are you talking about now? What problems other than the antenna issue have i mentioned in this thread which i have said was the Mrs....:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    The facts speak for themselves.

A mere 0.55% of customers thought it was a big enough problem to complain about it.

Fewer iPhone 4S were returned than 3GSs.

Those facts are what I base my opinion that it was blown out of proportion on.

I thought we were talking about the 4 here? The 4S which i had didn't have the same issue as the 4 as the antenna was redesigned.

EDIT:- never mind, i think i see your error. You meant 4's and not 4S.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you talking about now? What problems other than the antenna issue have i mentioned in this thread which i have said was the Mrs....:confused:

I wasn't talking about in this thread. I was talking about problems you (or your wife) had with the 4 in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't talking about in this thread. I was talking about problems you (or your wife) had with the 4 in general.

Why do you keep saying you or the wife? Once again, i had a 4S, she had a 4....

And we have been through this about 3 times already? Why are you bringing it back up? I though we had settled this when i put the pics up showing them to that tracy that trolled here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you keep saying you or the wife? Once again, i had a 4S, she had a 4....

And we have been through this about 3 times already? Why are you bringing it back up? I though we had settled this when i put the pics up showing them to that tracy that trolled here?

I'm not debating that you had a iPhone 4S. I'm just surprised that given your experience with the iPhone 4 which you always share with the forum, you then went out and bought one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not debating that you had a iPhone 4S. I'm just surprised that given your experience with the iPhone 4 which you always share with the forum, you then went out and bought one.

Right well again, we have already been through this several times but again, its not for you to question my choices. I have the money and if i want to buy a device to see what its like, that's my decision!!

Anyway, can we get back on some sort of topic here before thi gets closed...
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

If we are being pedantic then let's get it right. He meant 4s not 4S (4's is the possessive form).
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought we were talking about the 4 here? The 4S which i had didn't have the same issue as the 4 as the antenna was redesigned.

Yes, I meant 4s not 4S.

And the facts still speak for themselves, despite you merrily skipping over that part, going instead for the snappy line about me always being right, and everyone else being wrong.

If being right here means thinking a problem that around one half of one per cent of owners thought was serious enough to complain about was blown out of proportion, then yes - in this case I'm pretty sure I'm right.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    You only think you know as you cant see past that damn company. Its pathetic. How you can be so consumed by a company that don't give a rats arse about you is weird to say the least. I'm not wrong. It was an issue whether you like it or not..

I personally have an HTC, I have a free iPhone 5, use my old 4S as a dev mule. My company provided my rMBP etc etc. Hardly being consumed.

The statistics show it was a non issue.. You and others are confusing the goodwill of great customer service for an admission of guilt. (if you argue this i will laugh my head off, as where is Google/LG/Samsung customer service..it's crap and also non existent on the high street)

They did have a court action against them to give back money for cases for those who bought already...only because they had already decided to give out cases free whilst they investigated.

Apple only admitted one thing.. that there was an error in the way iOS calculated the bars and when no signal should be displayed. Funnily enough it did actually sort it.
    Bare i mind the phone decides when there is no signal or should i say too little signal to use for a successful call and drops it. Hence why people didn't hear sound quality issues, it just dropped the call randomly. The signal could indeed still be there for it to use just fine.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02Letter-from-Apple-Regarding-iPhone-4.html
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    If we are being pedantic then let's get it right. He meant 4s not 4S (4's is the possessive form).

In some cases an apostrophe can be used to form a plural where a plural isn't the norm. For example, mind your p's and q's. A number could arguably fall into this same rule.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Wrong. I took advantage of the free offer and because I already had a bumper I went for one of the alternative 3rd party products on offer from Apple. I hasten to add I didn't get a bumper because of any antenna problem, simply because I always do protect my phones in a case.

I cannot believe i did not knew about this. I've heard about the bumpers but i did not knew they were giving them for free like this, I thought people had to prove they were having signal problems. The two phones we had at that time were perfectly fine. I bought a bumper for my mother the other day and i almost cried when i paid it.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    I cannot believe i did not knew about this. I've heard about the bumpers but i did not knew they were giving them for free like this, I thought people had to prove they were having signal problems. The two phones we had at that time were perfectly fine. I bought a bumper for my mother the other day and i almost cried when i paid it.

Indeed, you literally had to download an app ie Apple Store and order it. It did take some time to receive.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all i didnt start it yet i see you jump on me first again. Funny that....Second, your not a mod so dont tell us what we can talk about and what we cant.

Anyway, It does sound unlikely but could theoretically happen if the charger had a serious fault, had been modified somehow or they used an after market charger.

The iphone being bare metal on the sides and put up to the head could kill instantly if the above ever happened.

I'm sure we will find out soon enough. I'm betting on an after market charger.

You're telling someone not to do something while complaining they are doing the same thing. You do this all the time and it baffles me.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    In some cases an apostrophe can be used to form a plural where a plural isn't the norm. For example, mind your p's and q's. A number could arguably fall into this same rule.

The phrase Ps & Qs doesn't need any apostrophes...

Can you think of another example?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phrase Ps & Qs doesn't need any apostrophes...

Can you think of another example?

My example was perfectly valid, if you want more examples then you can google it. There are loads of articles and discussions about using apostrophes this way.

To quote grammar girl:
    Here's a tricky issue with a definite answer: how do you make the plural of a single letter, as in Mind your p's and q's? It's shocking, but you actually use the apostrophe before the s! It looks possessive, but it isn't. The apostrophe is just there to make it clear that you're writing about multiple p's and q's. The apostrophe is especially important when you are writing about a's, i's, and u's because without the apostrophe readers could easily think you are writing the words as, is, and us.

In this case writing 4's rather than 4s you are actually making things clearer to the reader of which model you are referring to.

You may of course disagree but that doesn't mean it's incorrect to use an apostrophe in this manner.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    My example was perfectly valid, if you want more examples then you can google it. There are loads of articles and discussions about using apostrophes this way.

Quoting somebody else on the internet doesn't make it right...

Maybe you could start by defining what Ps & Qs actually means?

Is it referring to typesetting? Where the miniscule Ps & Qs look very similar...

Or Pints & Quarts...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quoting somebody else on the internet doesn't make it right...

Maybe you could start by defining what Ps & Qs actually means?

Is it referring to typesetting? Where the miniscule Ps & Qs look very similar...

Or Pints & Quarts...

What does the origin of the phrase have to do with it?

Fact is, it's perfectly acceptable to use apostrophes in the way Gormond described. Sometimes they're absolutely necessary for clarity, like in the example already mentioned involving vowels.