Downton Abbey Series 3 (Part 2)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
JennyLeics wrote: »
Something along the lines of Matthew accusing him of running Downton into the ground and when Mary said she was sure he hadn't said quite that, Robert replied that it was as good as.

It wasn't very nice of him to try to cause mischief between his daughter and her husband, especially when Mary was already upset about losing her sister.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1719400

Comments

• Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Whopee! New Thread. :D
      Bring on more Downton talk.:)
    • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Ooh, a new thread.

I was trying to reply to Bobby'sgirl (I feel I should sing that:D!).

Aw, Sunday will be a happy day for Bates and Anna fans. I'm looking forward to seeing them reunited. I think many of us feel we've served his time for him.....

TV Times has an interview and a lovely pic of them at the cricket match in ep8. It's very similar to this one:

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/downton-abbey/interviews/brendan-coyle-annas-all-thats-sustained-bates/17988
    • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Do we know any spoilers for the series finale so far? I wonder what happens :D
    • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Actually you're right I didn't mean to sound insulting, maybe cast someone else in the role or at the very least written Bates character to be a bit more interesting/ humorous.

In the beginning, I found Bates more interesting than he is now, but I think part of the problem is that he's become as much of a drip as 'Mary Sue' Anna. I'd be happy for little Miss Sunshine and her gloomy 'Mistah Bates' to move on to pastures new. Her prim routine is about as appealing as his 'gone to seed' Mr Rochester.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
      Forum Member
      New thread ooooh how exciting!!

Oooh I hope more comes out soon about the series finale and where is the extended trailer for next week itv?!!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Do we know any spoilers for the series finale so far? I wonder what happens :D

There's a short preview and cast list here

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/stjhp/downton-abbey--series-3---episode-8

It's meant to explosive..... maybe it's the toaster!:D
    • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      My opinion on Bates' appearance has nothing to do with his age. I actually find Dr. Clarkson attractive. I just think he's let himself go to the point that he is not good enough for Anna. Those big, saggy jowls are a turn-off, and the shirtless scene was something I never needed to see.

Looks aren't everything. Unfortunately, I hate his personality too. He's pretty much put her through Hell, when you think about it.

There is already an episode description out for 3.08, but I doubt it tells us any of the good stuff. Or bad stuff.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
      Forum Member
      I wonder if by explosive...Richard comes back to see Bates and stir things up between Bates, Matthew and Mary...
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I wonder if by explosive...Richard comes back to see Bates and stir things up between Bates, Matthew and Mary...
      He's not in the cast for episode 8.

If I remember it correctly, Lady Flintshire's maid found out about Pamuk and told both Lady Flintshire and Vera. Well, in the Christmas ep, the family visit the Flintshires. Is that when it all comes out? Almost everyone in the family knows now anyway so presumably the only scandal is it's published in the papers?
    • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Wow ... didn't think it would make it to a Part 2 :eek:

This is the first time I've ever been part of a Part 2 thread :o
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      He's not in the cast for episode 8.

If I remember it correctly, Lady Flintshire's maid found out about Pamuk and told both Lady Flintshire and Vera. Well, in the Christmas ep, the family visit the Flintshires. Is that when it all comes out? Almost everyone in the family knows now anyway so presumably the only scandal is it's published in the papers?
      You're right. Doesn't everyone know at this point? Everyone in the family anyway, and Bates and Anna. Tom doesn't know but I doubt he'd care. And I think most of the servants aren't even in the Christmas Special. But Carson is. Does Carson know?

There's a different doctor in the CS so I wonder if Mary finds out she's pregnant. That's exactly what I expect.

Didn't you say Rose would try to seduce Matthew?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Scoutlet wrote: »
      Didn't you say Rose would try to seduce Matthew?
      No, I've never said anything about Rose and Matthew.

The Christmas special includes a visit to the Flintshires' home (filmed in Scotland) and to Thirsk Fair so there will be Yorkshire scenes.

As far as I can remember the only people who really matter who don;t know about Pamuk are Carson and Isobel but it's hardly the end of the world if they find out. I think it has to be public disgrace, not private embarrassment, that matters.

I'm glad that it's being addressed though. After all the fuss it would have been mad if it disappeared entirely.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      No, I've never said anything about Rose and Matthew.

The Christmas special includes a visit to the Flintshires' home (filmed in Scotland) and to Thirsk Fair so there will be Yorkshire scenes.

As far as I can remember the only people who really matter who don;t know about Pamuk are Carson and Isobel but it's hardly the end of the world if they find out. I think it has to be public disgrace, not private embarrassment, that matters.

I'm glad that it's being addressed though. After all the fuss it would have been mad if it disappeared entirely.
      Okay, I read that somewhere else then. Who knows if it's true.

So what is her role, exactly? Is she jealous of Mary so she's going to expose her?

It just seems so far in the past to me now. I guess the public on the show would care but after all this time will we?
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
      Forum Member

Lots of interesting supporting characters. Rosamund is back, as well as Mrs. Bryant (is she going to invite Ethel to move into her house so that she could be closer to Charlie)?? And Molesley's dad from the flower show in S1 going to make an appearance. I wonder for what.

And lots of interesting new characters. We all have heard about Lady Rose and
      what she might (or might not) have done w/Matthew in this episode

The Gregson's character seems to be interesting? Will he be similar to Sir Anthony? :) Or will he turn out to be a new Sir Richard? :eek:

There's also Dr.Clarkson, a second doctor, and a police inspector. Will this means someone else will kick the bucket and/or get arrested in this episode? :( We'll just have to wait and see
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

Lots of interesting supporting characters. Rosamund is back, as well as Mrs. Bryant (is she going to invite Ethel to move into her house so that she could be closer to Charlie)?? And Molesley's dad from the flower show in S1 going to make an appearance. I wonder for what.

And lots of interesting new characters. We all have heard about Lady Rose and
      what she might (or might not) have done w/Matthew in this episode

The Gregson's character seems to be interesting? Will he be similar to Sir Anthony? :) Or will he turn out to be a new Sir Richard? :eek:

There's also Dr.Clarkson, a second doctor, and a police inspector. Will this means someone else will kick the bucket and/or get arrested in this episode? :( We'll just have to wait and see
      I bet the inspector is with regard to Thomas' gay storyline? Because it was criminal. Or maybe it turns out Bates killed someone else.

I think the doctor is for M/M and their fertility or baby SL. I hope it's not Edith digging into eclampsia research because frankly, I can't bear to hear any more about it. That was a cruel shock they imposed on us and the less I have to remember it the better. Otherwise I would be all too happy to see Robert miserable and despised by his family
    • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
      Forum Member
      Scoutlet wrote: »
      My opinion on Bates' appearance has nothing to do with his age. I actually find Dr. Clarkson attractive. I just think he's let himself go to the point that he is not good enough for Anna. Those big, saggy jowls are a turn-off, and the shirtless scene was something I never needed to see.

Sadly I think you're right. He was rather yummy in Larkrise to Candleford.

He's 6 months younger than me but looks older. My husband is 51 this year but looks younger than Brendan Coyle now.

Having said that I do still have a bit of a soft spot for Brendan Coyle - I've not gone off him completely :D
    • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      seejay63 wrote: »
      Sadly I think you're right. He was rather yummy in Larkrise to Candleford.

He's 6 months younger than me but looks older. My husband is 51 this year but looks younger than Brendan Coyle now.

Having said that I do still have a bit of a soft spot for Brendan Coyle - I've not gone off him completely :D

Yes, I couldn't believe how old Brendan Coyle was - he's the samage as me ex husband but I thought he was mid 50s. Mind you, same with Hugh Bonneville, he looks way older than his age!
    • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
      Forum Member
      Dawn Sun wrote: »
      Yes, I couldn't believe how old Brendan Coyle was - he's the samage as me ex husband but I thought he was mid 50s. Mind you, same with Hugh Bonneville, he looks way older than his age!

I think there's only about a month between them.
    • LMLM Posts: 63,327
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      The actress who plays O'Brien has joined the second series of The Syndicate. Curious to know when this is filmed as Downton is filmed through spring and summer and then she films Benidorm through summer/autumn.
    • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      seejay63 wrote: »
      I think there's only about a month between them.

And they could both easily be 55!
    • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      http://youtu.be/eg-TgLnp4Nc

My daughter sent me the above. [There are a couple of rude bits so it's for adults and be warned if you are easily offended.;)]

Enjoy! :D
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Here are 10 lines of dialogue from ep7. A few obvious, some not so....

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/spoilers/teasers/5078-downton-abbey-series-3-episode-7-teasers
    • Belle FilleBelle Fille Posts: 472
      Forum Member
      jamtamara wrote: »

My daughter sent me the above. [There are a couple of rude bits so it's for adults and be warned if you are easily offended.;)]

That's so funny.Really made me laugh!:D His impressions of are spot on!:D Branson was hilarious! 'I'm not respected around this table because my name isn't Crawley!' So true!!!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      That's so funny.Really made me laugh!:D His impressions of are spot on!:D Branson was hilarious! 'I'm not respected around this table because my name isn't Crawley!' So true!!!

He's marvellous, isn't he? Graham Norton needs to get him on his show. Talented and funny man.
    • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
      Forum Member
      Dawn Sun wrote: »
      Fairly sure it's just the costumes and makeup. Hugh Bonneville looks younger in 2012 than he does in Downton (yet strangely he looked older in Bonekickers and that was a few years ago - though the least said about Bonekickers, the better :eek:).
      jamtamara wrote: »

Excellent stuff :D