Wifi Internet radio

Hi im thinking of getting a Wifi Internet radio from John Lewis. Possibly this one.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231330187/Product.aspx

Can you listen to most stations on these. such as Heart, Capital and Gold

Thank you

Kevin

Comments

• tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it broadcasts online, as the stations you mentioned do, then yes you can. I'd have thought the vast majority of radios will support the main used codecs (MP3, WMA, AAC(+)) so that shouldn't be a problem as it was a few years ago when I first started using Internet radios.

The one thing to be aware of is whether your Internet connection has a download cap on it. If you intend to listen to music for quite a while on such a device and you have download limits imposed on your account (ie. 40GB a month) it will eat into your allowance, at the rate of 128Kbps in stereo = 56.25MB an hour. Listening for an hour a day in a typical month can use around 1.7GB of that cap.

Just something to be aware of if you have a low download limit cap imposed on your account.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    If it broadcasts online, as the stations you mentioned do, then yes you can. I'd have thought the vast majority of radios will support the main used codecs (MP3, WMA, AAC(+)) so that shouldn't be a problem as it was a few years ago when I first started using Internet radios.

The one thing to be aware of is whether your Internet connection has a download cap on it. If you intend to listen to music for quite a while on such a device and you have download limits imposed on your account (ie. 40GB a month) it will eat into your allowance, at the rate of 128Kbps in stereo = 56.25MB an hour. Listening for an hour a day in a typical month can use around 1.7GB of that cap.

Just something to be aware of if you have a low download limit cap imposed on your account.

Cheers tghe-retford

Regarding broadband Im with Be and I think there service is unlimited
  • Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The latter you point out is a very valid point...and many new users never realise this until their bill has doubled for no explainable reason.

Wi-Fi radio is a great option and has great potential in theory...but practically it does have a price tag on this format and for anyone that wishes to use this on a regular basis it is better to have an unlimited download tarrif as oppose to a basic one. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that only apply to music radio or is it the same for speech stations?
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,891
    Forum Member

Speech stations probably use less bandwidth.

I have a Mi-Fi for listening on the move/recording at work, a five to six hour listen to KOLA for Casey Kasem doesn't use anywhere near the amount shown above. I use Tune In Radio, perhaps they use a more mobile friendly bitrate?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Hi im thinking of getting a Wifi Internet radio from John Lewis. Possibly this one.

Thank you

Kevin

I own and HIGHLY RECOMMEND this product
    http://astore.amazon.co.uk/celmusrad-21/detail/B001QFSQE0

at £99 its a wee bit more expensive but covers Internet Radio, DAB, DAB+, and FM , the audio quality is excellent, support from OXX is great. Set up was simple , I have enjoyed using the reciever
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    a large selection of options available here http://astore.amazon.co.uk/celmusrad-21?_encoding=UTF8&node=27

Browse through and read the customer reviews :)

you will also find the best price / availability there. :)
  • FmBandScanFmBandScan Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could also try Ebay, there are lots of WiFI radio's sold there!
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FmBandScan wrote: »
    You could also try Ebay, there are lots of WiFI radio's sold there!
    Agreed,the link the op gave in the first post was for a sansui WTR100 from john lewis at £89.99,it's £20 cheaper on E-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANSUI-WTR-100-WI-FI-INTERNET-FM-POCKET-RADIO-INTERNET-RADIO-/200740052117?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radios&hash=item2ebd0a1c95 Not my listing BTW :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own and HIGHLY RECOMMEND this product
    http://astore.amazon.co.uk/celmusrad-21/detail/B001QFSQE0

at £99 its a wee bit more expensive but covers Internet Radio, DAB, DAB+, and FM , the audio quality is excellent, support from OXX is great. Set up was simple , I have enjoyed using the reciever

I agree OXX Digital's radios are good BUT check out the spec:

SUPPORTED AUDIO FORMATS:
    Internet radio streams: Mp3, WMA, Real Audio

So it looks like they don't include support for AAC streams such as those used by the BBC and other UK stations. Neither does the Revo Pico which I own. It's frustrating because you end up with a good quality radio but poor quality audio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Agreed,the link the op gave in the first post was for a sansui WTR100 from john lewis at £89.99,it's £20 cheaper on E-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANSUI-WTR-100-WI-FI-INTERNET-FM-POCKET-RADIO-INTERNET-RADIO-/200740052117?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radios&hash=item2ebd0a1c95 Not my listing BTW :D

Haha exactly! Most of them I have found cheaper on Ebay, and if you're lucky you can catch one on bid for even cheaper! ;)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *strokes his Roberts Stream 83i *
  • old goatold goat Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    i have a roberts 83i stream too - best christmas present i ever got, first one did have major problems and wouldnt connect 19 times out of 20 but spoke with roberts and got wonderfrul service from them and eventually we gie up on options and it was replaced without trouble, this one absolutely perfect, listening to radio noordzee top 40 charts from april 29th 1972 and such wonderful memories
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roberts make great internet radios, I have a Stream 205 and it is brilliant, never had any problems with it!
  • VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi im thinking of getting a Wifi Internet radio from John Lewis. Possibly this one. http://www.johnlewis.com/231330187/Product.aspx Can you listen to most stations on these. such as Heart, Capital and Gold Thank you Kevin

That looks like a nice set, and good to see one of the great old brand names back again. I cut my 'electronics' teeth fixing many a friend's Sansui hifi, back in the 80s.

It doesn't explicitly mention podcast and 'Listen Again' functionality, but that may be available via the Sansui's Vtuner portal. Looking at some reviews of this set, the network setup seems a bit fiddly but if you're competent with wifi it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This set's sibling, the DB-100, is a DAB/DAB+/FM set so has the aacPlus decoding facility. As the WTR-100 is FM only it's very unlikely to be able to decode aacPlus streams, which is a pity. Otherwise you could have a look at the Radiofeeds website and manually program aacPlus versions of your favourite stations instead of the MP3 versions. Not only do these save a bunch of usage on my 10 GB/month allowance, but also I find them more resilient when I grab the set and move around the house; also they don't barf anything like as much as MP3 streams when I fire up the microwave.

Not an issue for you, though, on Be Unlimited.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    *strokes his Roberts Stream 83i *

Yes, I have one. Best internet radio I've had.
  • KempoKempo Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have got the pure evoke touch screen. It costs a bit, but has wifi, dab and fm.....scarcely a radio station you cant receive, great sound quality and you can adjust the menu via the pure lounge from anywhere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Hi decieded to get this this one instead Its from Argos it's a pure one flow DAB DAB+ FM and wifi. It was £85.99 but I got it fo £80.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/9292716.htm

it does what I need it to :)
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Yes, I have one. Best internet radio I've had.
    Its the first internet radio I've had,but it's an amazing bit of kit,i would recomend it to anybody :D
  • VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi decieded to get this this one instead Its from Argos it's a pure one flow DAB DAB+ FM and wifi. It was £85.99 but I got it fo £80.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/9292716.htm it does what I need it to :)

Good choice. I see the ChargePak is down to 28 quid from 36 last October.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers tghe-retford

Regarding broadband Im with Be and I think there service is unlimited
    Not a problem.

Ahh... BE, a wise choice. As I am with them too. In which case, go for it, capping will not be a problem for you, regardless of which package you are on.

I myself have two PURE radios. A PURE Evoke Flow for the bedroom so I can listen in bed and the PURE Sensia in the living room which I got as part of a redecoration of the room. The Evoke Flow has the optional chargePAK in so I can use it anywhere. Haven't done the same for the Sensia, it's more cumbersome and awkward to take places, even with the supplied carry bag it comes with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It applies to every station broadcasting on the Internet, or indeed, any data, even web pages and emails. As rightly pointed out earlier, speech radio stations tend to use a smaller bitrate for their streaming, and as such won't use as much of the cap as a music one.

Bear in mind those who wish to stream the lossless FLAC stream from Cesky Rozhlas D-Dur or Absolute Radio on a capped connection should refrain from doing so often (do this on a computer, it won't stream on an Internet radio), an average of 1Mbps = 450MB an hour. Listen to that an hour a day for a typical month and it's over 13GB on average a month! :eek:
  • zombie woofzombie woof Posts: 6,906
    Forum Member
    WIFI/Internet radios are great, especially if you have moved around the country a bit. You can listen to the local news in Newcastle, Plymouth or New York. I've got three, and I stream music from my DLNA server as well.......Really good.
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you

Kevin

I am thinking that when you get your internet radio, you won't be listening to those stations you mention, for much longer, when you find out all the great radio stations from around the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Its the first internet radio I've had,but it's an amazing bit of kit,i would recomend it to anybody :D
    got the 83i as well, happy with it apart from podcast listening as you cant fast forward/rewind and the display cant always display the entire podcast name. Apart from those slight niggles its really great.