Things that have disappeared from everyday life

1232425262729»

Comments

• venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    Well thanks for that whenever or wherever I go shopping I can never find it.

I've never had a Vesta chow mein, but I have had a Vesta curry. It was 'made' for me by a boyfriend who was trying to impress me because he knew I liked 'fancy, foreign food' :D

I recall it being very watery!
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had a Vesta chow mein, but I have had a Vesta curry. It was 'made' for me by a boyfriend who was trying to impress me because he knew I liked 'fancy, foreign food' :D

I recall it being very water

Tbh it isn't the bees knees and never liked the curry but the chow mein is lovely imo the crispy noodles which bubble up just make it a nice supper. Try it if you can find it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume the other poster's got mixed up with a certain kids' programme set not far from Trumpton! Actually I didn't know candlewick was a type of fabric as well as the bit you lit on a candle. You learn something new every other day (I'm a slow learner...).

And, just to confuse things further...

Candlewick Green, Who Do You Think You Are

:blush::blush:

well it was a very long time ago - I'm going back to my childhood when I heard the word.

Young girls comics like Judy, Bunty, and Misty etc. We had them ordered each week in the 1970s and everyone seemed to read them, bought from a local newsagent.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh it isn't the bees knees and never liked the curry but the chow mein is lovely imo the crispy noodles which bubble up just make it a nice supper. Try it if you can find it.

I used to eat the Chow Mein a lot in the 1970s when I was a student

Did you always get one crispy noodle in every pack that refused to crisp up and just sat in the oil turning black?........:D
  • electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Still normal to do this in many countries where hysteria is less common than it is in the UK. Very popular in Finland, for example, where it's perfectly normal to leave babies outside in their prams sub-zero temperatures to have a nap while the parents are inside coffee shops (or just shopping).

Yes but with proper Coach Built Prams not the flimsy excuse we have nowadays
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Bebo has disappeared from everyday life.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ******* ex :D
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I used to eat the Chow Mein a lot in the 1970s when I was a student

Did you always get one crispy noodle in every pack that refused to crisp up and just sat in the oil turning black?........:D

Yes! There was always one. :)
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    bookcover wrote: »
    Windowlene pink liquid.

Shake and Vac.

Fresh Yeast.

Butter Milk

Ox Blood Shoe Polish.

Smokers toothpaste powder.

Pearl bright Liquid.

You can still get buttermilk quite easily. I'm sure Tesco sells it.
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have seen this in our local Savers shop - but it seems to be minus the crispy noodles now :-(.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Leaving babies in their pram outside the shop whilst the shopping was done.

It would be unthinkable these days to leave a baby unattended outside on the pavement for 10 minutes or so.

It's very very common to see that here. I hadn't seen it for years down on the west coast so it was an eye opener!

I remember as a kid my dad making me stand outside the bookies in all weather as a child cos I wasn't allowed in :D And going out to the ice cream van to buy my mum cigarettes. "20 No. 3 please Dolores!"
  • cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    :blush::blush:

well it was a very long time ago - I'm going back to my childhood when I heard the word.

Young girls comics like Judy, Bunty, and Misty etc. We had them ordered each week in the 1970s and everyone seemed to read them, bought from a local newsagent.

Oh Bunty! I used to love the cut out girls that you could dress up! :)
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Bunty! I used to love the cut out girls that you could dress up! :)

Yes, Bunty's Cut Out Wardrobe. I used to love Bunty and had it every week for years. I used to read all my comics over and over again. It's odd that girls don't seem to have comics like that anymore. There only seems to be ones with rock stars and beauty in them now, which is ok for older girls, but surely ones of about say, 7 to 10 years would want something more like Bunty.
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »

Shake and Vac.
    Fresh Yeast.
    Butter Milk

You can still get these things as I have seen them in my local Morrisons. Was horrified Shake & Vac was still going..
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    "Thank you" letters? Does anyone still get any of those? Or is it just a "cheers" via Facebook/Twitter/etc?
    I think it is bad that very few people do thank-you letters now. I was always told to do them and always got my son to do them as well. If you can't be bothered to thank someone properly then why should they bother to buy and send you something. I do still receive some thank you letters.

Me and the husband still do thank you letters to the relatives that send us money/presents at Christmas/Birthday etc.. I even send a thank you letter to say thank you for taking us out for a meal when we have been out with relatives etc... I couldn't imagine not sending a thank you letter.

My brother in law even gets his 15yr old daughter to send thank you letters, and has done ever since she can write. I would hope that as she gets older she still keeps up this tradition..
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    You can still get these things as I have seen them in my local Morrisons. Was horrified Shake & Vac was still going..

Horrified? It's not like it's golliwogs or crack cocaine or something. Although the woman from the advert obviously had a good toot of it...
  • DanCleggDanClegg Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the pram thing, it never fails to amuse that people think we have a disproportionately higher number of paedophiles and child abductors than we did 50 years ago.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Packs of dogs.

It used to be common for dog owners to let their dogs out onto the street when the house was empty. As much as its horrifying to imagine that happening now, it was interesting to see how they would all meet up in one place and who the leader was and how they interacted with each other. Of course these were nice dogs, not staffies etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Bunty's Cut Out Wardrobe. I used to love Bunty and had it every week for years. I used to read all my comics over and over again. It's odd that girls don't seem to have comics like that anymore. There only seems to be ones with rock stars and beauty in them now, which is ok for older girls, but surely ones of about say, 7 to 10 years would want something more like Bunty.

I agree. There's lovely magazines out there for little girls today, with themes such as Hello Kitty or Disney Princesses, but I think when I was a child they would have seemed rather young for the over 7 or 8s.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another thread they were talking about tinsel. It reminded me of the tiny little strands of silver tinsel that were the only kind you could get when I was growing up. You had to buy fresh strands every year because it used to go rusty if you kept it. Then they bought out ones that didn't go rusty. Then one year they bought out gold tinsel and we were amazed to see it in a different colour. The next year we saw it in red, blue and green etc, but it was still just little tiny strands. Eventually we got the tinsel as we know it today.

I also remember before there were artifial Christmas trees. We could only put up our real ones a few days before Christmas and sometimes just the day before, because they didn't last and the pine needles started to fall off them.

I remember staying with my Grandparents one Christmas and the tree was shedding it's needles all over the carpet by Christmas day and the branches were bare. My Grandfather decided to take the tree out of the room on Christmas day and walked through the kitched with it just as my Grandmother was stirring the gravy. As he walked by with the tree, lots more needles fell off into the gravy. My Grandmother was not best pleased with him.