Neighbours Parking

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I've not posted on here for a long while. I thought I would post a new thread as I would like some advice on how to address a problem we're facing with a new neighbour. A few weeks ago a young couple aged in their twenties moved in on our estate (They live on the right-hand side of our house as there is a curve). Anyway, ever since day one of them moving in we've been experiencing problems with their behaviour and attitude. Firstly, before they had even moved in when they were viewing the house, the bloke decided to park outside of our house in full-view of our lounge window (Also parked halfway on the road and the pavement). We ignored this as they were new neighbours and we didn't want to fall out with them. However, this type of behaviour has since been continuing and this week they have taken things to a whole new level.

Almost every day of the week there have been visitors for them parking their cars outside of our house, and to the side of our house (In full view from our driveway, window and front garden). They have never spoken to us, nor have they asked us if we would mind them doing it which I consider to be extremely rude, arrogant and selfish behaviour. Whilst I realise I don't own the road outside of the house, and it is a public area and legal etc it is making our lives a living hell. We have problems trying to drive in and out from our house due to inconsiderate parking. We are considering knocking at their door and speaking to them about it, but other incidents have since occurred.

I had a parcel I was expecting in the post, the postman informed me that he had left it with the new neighbour (He didn't leave a delivery card as was in a rush). He kindly offered to knock at their door to retrieve it for me, but they ignored the door perfectly aware he was there as they peered out of the window. I knocked later on that day and again they acknowledged me but ignored it. The next day the postman knocked with proof he had left it there and the woman eventually answered the door and handed the parcel over claiming 'She didn't know where our number was'. When I opened the parcel, I realised they had opened it as it was resealed with double-sided tape and the DVD looked like it has been watched as discs were loose in the box. Postie reckoned they were trying to keep it without giving it back as he said he told her he didn't leave us a card as he assumed we got on with each other.

Last night it was the final straw and two visitors in two cars turned up and parked really close to our house in our buses and later on I discovered the branches had been snapped off and left in the road - Presumably by them. We really don't know what to do about this, and they have absolutely NO reason to park near our house (They have a double driveway and garage which is always empty) and room for two cars in front of their house (Old owners parked both their cars side by side there).

Any advice would be most welcome, we are fed up with it. Thank you! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also forgot to add, the other day we found some of our outdoor Christmas lights lying on the ground (Were wrapped around the bushes) and I doubt the wind had done it as I had wrapped them around to ensure they don't fall off - Also had our tree knocked over (No wind all day or night).
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing you can do about where they park. It's public highway and they have every right to do it. I also don't really get how cars parked outside your house is making your lives a "living hell".

Pavement parking is illegal though, every now and then they come and ticket cars on pavements round my way. You could try asking the police to send round an officer, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The bit with the hedge and Christmas lights and tree could be criminal damage, but it's very unlikely the police would do anything as it's really pretty minor.

The parcel is a different matter, but as they gave the stuff to you it's not theft. If it were me, I'd include a delivery instruction on everything I order saying don't leave stuff at their house.

They sound utterly unpleasant, but not in a way that is easy to challenge. I'm afraid I think you'll just have to suck it up. It does get easier, I've lived next door to vile people for 22 years, and it doesn't bother me any more. I find their antics laughable now, although I do get a bit hacked off with the rats that are attracted by them leaving out food "for the foxes".

If they're tenants, it might be an idea to have a chat with the landlord. Or the housing officer if it's council/housing association.

Otherwise, I think saying anything to them directly may make things worse. They'll know how to press your buttons then.
  • gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I think your really over reacting, they aren't blocking your driveway, they have every right to park on the street outside your house. Just be thankful this is all they are doing!
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Make sure you tell the postman not to leave any more parcels with your neighbours.

You could always park your car outside your house in the road, then your neighbours and their friends won't be able to park there. This is about all you can do, I'm afraid, to stop them parking outside your house because it's a public road and they are perfectly entitled to park there if they so wish.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    You don't own the road and they are entitled to park where they like, as long as they aren't breaking the law(and parking half on the pavement isn't as far as I know), they don't have to ask your permission either. You are lucky you don't live where I live people park in front of other people's houses all the time.

Before you go throwing accusations of vandalism around make sure you get your facts straight. It has been extremely windy these past few days and your lights could have blown off, kids could have taken them off.

Personally I get the feeling you don't like them and are one of those people who moans about every little thing they do as they aren't your old neighbours and they don't tow the line in the way you want them to and your perfect little street has been changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your really over reacting, they aren't blocking your driveway, they have every right to park on the street outside your house. Just be thankful this is all they are doing!

Yes I realise they're not blocking my driveway, but they DON'T need to park outside our house, they have plenty of space by their own house. I also forgot to mention that there's a parking bay for up 2-3 cars used for visitors or neighbours across the road by a wall, as well as their double driveway/ garage (Remained empty when the idiots parked by my house) as well as a long stretch in front of their house/ porch. They are being selfish and trying to annoy us deliberately it would appear.

Don't forget it's you're* not your, sorry to be childish :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    You don't own the road and they are entitled to park where they like, as long as they aren't breaking the law(and parking half on the pavement isn't as far as I know), they don't have to ask your permission either. You are lucky you don't live where I live people park in front of other people's houses all the time.

Before you go throwing accusations of vandalism around make sure you get your facts straight. It has been extremely windy these past few days and your lights could have blown off, kids could have taken them off.

Personally I get the feeling you don't like them and are one of those people who moans about every little thing they do as they aren't your old neighbours and they don't tow the line in the way you want them to and your perfect little street has been changed.

I know they've caused the damage to our plants, as the branches were by their house. I'm not trying to find every little thing to complain about, I simply believe them to be rude and unfriendly people. They should out of common curtoisy speak to us regarding the parking, as they have their own space for parking and should use their own driveway (What is it's purpose for?). The old neighbours were far more respectful and polite, unlike these chavs. I live on a nice quiet cul de sac and it's being tarnished by these people. They've already fallen out with non-immediate next door neighbour because of parking and speeding. My other next door neighbours have said they are awful as well. It's not been very windy where I live, and the lights were tampered with definitely. ALL of my neighbours have the same attitude as we do regarding parking, and none of them put up with cars parked outside of their houses if they aren't anything to do with them. It may not be illegal, but it's hugely disrespectful and downright classless to do it without considering other people. They are lucky we are polite neighbours, my other neighbour next door but one is blunt and tells people to 'f**k off' if they park outside his house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, I've not posted on here for a long while. I thought I would post a new thread as I would like some advice on how to address a problem we're facing with a new neighbour. A few weeks ago a young couple aged in their twenties moved in on our estate (They live on the right-hand side of our house as there is a curve). Anyway, ever since day one of them moving in we've been experiencing problems with their behaviour and attitude. Firstly, before they had even moved in when they were viewing the house, the bloke decided to park outside of our house in full-view of our lounge window (Also parked halfway on the road and the pavement). We ignored this as they were new neighbours and we didn't want to fall out with them. However, this type of behaviour has since been continuing and this week they have taken things to a whole new level.

Almost every day of the week there have been visitors for them parking their cars outside of our house, and to the side of our house (In full view from our driveway, window and front garden). They have never spoken to us, nor have they asked us if we would mind them doing it which I consider to be extremely rude, arrogant and selfish behaviour. Whilst I realise I don't own the road outside of the house, and it is a public area and legal etc it is making our lives a living hell. We have problems trying to drive in and out from our house due to inconsiderate parking. We are considering knocking at their door and speaking to them about it, but other incidents have since occurred.

I had a parcel I was expecting in the post, the postman informed me that he had left it with the new neighbour (He didn't leave a delivery card as was in a rush). He kindly offered to knock at their door to retrieve it for me, but they ignored the door perfectly aware he was there as they peered out of the window. I knocked later on that day and again they acknowledged me but ignored it. The next day the postman knocked with proof he had left it there and the woman eventually answered the door and handed the parcel over claiming 'She didn't know where our number was'. When I opened the parcel, I realised they had opened it as it was resealed with double-sided tape and the DVD looked like it has been watched as discs were loose in the box. Postie reckoned they were trying to keep it without giving it back as he said he told her he didn't leave us a card as he assumed we got on with each other.

Last night it was the final straw and two visitors in two cars turned up and parked really close to our house in our buses and later on I discovered the branches had been snapped off and left in the road - Presumably by them. We really don't know what to do about this, and they have absolutely NO reason to park near our house (They have a double driveway and garage which is always empty) and room for two cars in front of their house (Old owners parked both their cars side by side there).

Any advice would be most welcome, we are fed up with it. Thank you! :)

I also forgot to mention that the other night my dad and I were stood on the driveway talking and the woman was peering out of the bedroom window at us and when I glanced up at her she had the nerve to put her middle finger up at me and then shut the curtains (Bearing in mind she was nosing at US). They constantly watch our movements, almost every evening when either me, my mum or dad are going out or have got home they stand by their lounge window and watch us (Their lounge window faces our driveway). I spoke with my next door neighbour about the damage, incidents etc to ask if they had seen anything r.e. plants being damaged and the man next door walked over to our driveway and I showed him the damage and whilst I was showing and discussing it with him, they appeared at the lounge window and were watching until we went back indoors (Somewhat suspicious behaviour am I right?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    There's nothing you can do about where they park. It's public highway and they have every right to do it. I also don't really get how cars parked outside your house is making your lives a "living hell".

Pavement parking is illegal though, every now and then they come and ticket cars on pavements round my way. You could try asking the police to send round an officer, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The bit with the hedge and Christmas lights and tree could be criminal damage, but it's very unlikely the police would do anything as it's really pretty minor.

The parcel is a different matter, but as they gave the stuff to you it's not theft. If it were me, I'd include a delivery instruction on everything I order saying don't leave stuff at their house.

They sound utterly unpleasant, but not in a way that is easy to challenge. I'm afraid I think you'll just have to suck it up. It does get easier, I've lived next door to vile people for 22 years, and it doesn't bother me any more. I find their antics laughable now, although I do get a bit hacked off with the rats that are attracted by them leaving out food "for the foxes".

If they're tenants, it might be an idea to have a chat with the landlord. Or the housing officer if it's council/housing association.

Otherwise, I think saying anything to them directly may make things worse. They'll know how to press your buttons then.

Hi LakieLady,

Thanks for the advice. I live on a cul de sac, not on a council estate or housing association. It's just unpleasant for us because we've lived here for 15 years and It's been a nice, quiet area. These people are basically peeing all over it and being inconsiderate. :)
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know they've caused the damage to our plants, as the branches were by their house. I'm not trying to find every little thing to complain about, I simply believe them to be rude and unfriendly people. They should out of common curtoisy speak to us regarding the parking, as they have their own space for parking and should use their own driveway (What is it's purpose for?). The old neighbours were far more respectful and polite, unlike these chavs. I live on a nice quiet cul de sac and it's being tarnished by these people. They've already fallen out with non-immediate next door neighbour because of parking and speeding. My other next door neighbours have said they are awful as well. It's not been very windy where I live, and the lights were tampered with definitely. ALL of my neighbours have the same attitude as we do regarding parking, and none of them put up with cars parked outside of their houses if they aren't anything to do with them. It may not be illegal, but it's hugely disrespectful and downright classless to do it without considering other people. They are lucky we are polite neighbours, my other neighbour next door but one is blunt and tells people to 'f**k off' if they park outside his house.

Yeah cos that's classy.

You need to chill or you'll end up the one in trouble.

Oh, and it's courtesy.

Not sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »

We had a different postie who didn't know our estate that well. I've asked him to only leave any parcels with my next door neighbour and nobody else. A few years ago, one of my other neighbours kept a parcel of ours for 6 months and didn't come round with it, we didn't know they had it because we had no delivery card telling us. I wish they were more careful with who they leave parcels with. Although the boxset is fine, I'm still quite angry they opened it... I guess they weren't Most Haunted fans :p
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds as though you have got off on the wrong foot. They probably regard you as the problem neighbours!

They shouldn't have opened the parcel. Simple solution - let your postie know not to leave parcels with neighbours in future.

But you are being pedantic over parking. Yes, it is irritating and a tad selfish, but is it really worth starting WW3 over? They aren't exactly breaking the law. I live in a cul de sac and the man on our right hand side has a driveway. He doesn't drive, but his parents do and when they visit they just park on the turning circle, directly behind my car. They are blocking me in. I've asked them to park on the driveway, they did for a while and then stopped. I get annoyed, but they don't visit often, and it isn't worth falling out with the family.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Just to add that loose DVD's are often caused by bumping about in transit. Although it may look like they opened and watched them, there is a possibility that the parcel may have been delivered like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Sounds as though you have got off on the wrong foot. They probably regard you as the problem neighbours!

They shouldn't have opened the parcel. Simple solution - let your postie know not to leave parcels with neighbours in future.

But you are being pedantic over parking. Yes, it is irritating and a tad selfish, but is it really worth starting WW3 over? They aren't exactly breaking the law. I live in a cul de sac and the man on our right hand side has a driveway. He doesn't drive, but his parents do and when they visit they just park on the turning circle, directly behind my car. They are blocking me in. I've asked them to park on the driveway, they did for a while and then stopped. I get annoyed, but they don't visit often, and it isn't worth falling out with the family.

Thanks for the help - I know that it's nothing major about the parking, but I just get angry because they have so much room for parking by their own house - They actually have the most parking space out of everyone on our road due to having a double driveway/ garage. I believe in manners and politeness, if I wanted to park by somebody else's house, I would simply knock at their door and ask them politely if they would mind - I know how it feels as do you I gather, it's a nuisance and let's be honest, who the hell buys a house and wants to view someone else's car almost everyday outside your own property? I think it's possibly their age group, due to being selfish. I'm 21 but I would never behave in that way, I've been brought up to know right from wrong.
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Your postman should have left a delivery note if he's leaving it with a neighbour. Its an obligation, takes 30 seconds, rush or not.
    2. You can't not prevent people from parking on a public highway.
    3. If the parking consequently hinders access to your property, then go over and ask them very politely if they could move their car backwards or forwards or whatever, in order to ease access to your property.

4. Chill the out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Yeah cos that's classy.

You need to chill or you'll end up the one in trouble.

Oh, and it's courtesy.

Not sorry.

What's classy? Why would I be the person who gets in trouble? I haven't committed any offences or done anything towards them
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help - I know that it's nothing major about the parking, but I just get angry because they have so much room for parking by their own house - They actually have the most parking space out of everyone on our road due to having a double driveway/ garage. I believe in manners and politeness, if I wanted to park by somebody else's house, I would simply knock at their door and ask them politely if they would mind - I know how it feels as do you I gather, it's a nuisance and let's be honest, who the hell buys a house and wants to view someone else's car almost everyday outside your own property? I think it's possibly their age group, due to being selfish. I'm 21 but I would never behave in that way, I've been brought up to know right from wrong.

Millions and millions of people every day have to put up with other people parking on a public road outside other peoples houses, and most people understand they have no right to tell other people were to park on a PUBLIC road, When you buy a house most people are not buying the right to park outside of their own home if the house is on a public road.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of my pet peeves is people who don't park on their driveways. (Closely followed by people who park on the pavement - doubly annoying as I now have a pram!) I might moan about it for a minute, but in the big scheme of things, it's a tiny problem. Cars cluttering the streets is the price we pay for being mobile. I don't want any of our neighbours to move, in case we get someone with two or three cars, who might really cause a parking problem!

My husband is always moaning about our other next door neighbour who is a real slob. His house (and certainly the garage) is falling to pieces. I tell him to take a chill pill. I've watched enough 'neighbours from hell' programmes to know that if your neighbours are quiet, civil and fairly tidy, then you have it easy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    One of my pet peeves is people who don't park on their driveways. (Closely followed by people who park on the pavement - doubly annoying as I now have a pram!) I might moan about it for a minute, but in the big scheme of things, it's a tiny problem. Cars cluttering the streets is the price we pay for being mobile. I don't want any of our neighbours to move, in case we get someone with two or three cars, who might really cause a parking problem!

My husband is always moaning about our other next door neighbour who is a real slob. His house (and certainly the garage) is falling to pieces. I tell him to take a chill pill. I've watched enough 'neighbours from hell' programmes to know that if your neighbours are quiet, civil and fairly tidy, then you have it easy.

I know how you feel about cars cluttering the roads and streets - I agree about people who don't park on their driveway - What the hell is a driveway meant for? That's like buying a shed but not putting anything in it - Purpose.

We have a real mixed bag of neighbours, including one neighbour I consider to be 'really odd'. My non immediate next door neighbours are the strangest people I've ever met, they are a family of five, 3 older adult children all in their 20's - They NEVER leave the house, none of them go out - They are always indoors 24/7, and they've never decorated or changed their house since they've lived there, and the rooms are blank with no pictures on the walls etc - They have a car that is never driven and sits on the drive for months, I know I sound really observant but they are weird as hell
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Millions and millions of people every day have to put up with other people parking on a public road outside other peoples houses, and most people understand they have no right to tell other people were to park on a PUBLIC road, When you buy a house most people are not buying the right to park outside of their own home if the house is on a public road.

Your right but why won't they park in front of their own house if there is a space there? Its bizarre behaviour even if it's not breaking any law.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Your right but why won't they park in front of their own house if there is a space there? Its bizarre behaviour even if it's not breaking any law.

I sometimes find it a bit bizarre why the OP is so concerned about neighbours in his street, and not the first time he has made comments about new or old neighbours http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1883172&highlight=
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    I sometimes find it a bit bizarre why the OP is so concerned about neighbours in his street, and not the first time he has made comments about new or old neighbours http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1883172&highlight=

To be fair his neighbours behaviour was uncalled for.

My neighbour constantly parked his car right up to my droped kerb even though his house (opposite my house not even next door) has a drive for three cars and space for 2 in front and loads of space on the street. I asked him to be more considerate and he just said he can park where he likes -what a git.

One day he overhanged my dropped kerb not realising I'd registered it with the council. I called them and bam - ticket issued. He's never parked near my house again.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...............they are a family of five, 3 older adult children all in their 20's - They NEVER leave the house, none of them go out - They are always indoors 24/7, and they've never decorated or changed their house since they've lived there, and the rooms are blank with no pictures on the walls etc - They have a car that is never driven and sits on the drive for months, I know I sound really observant but they are weird as hell

I'm beginning to develop a picture of you ...............
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I know how you feel about cars cluttering the roads and streets - I agree about people who don't park on their driveway - What the hell is a driveway meant for? That's like buying a shed but not putting anything in it - Purpose.

We have a real mixed bag of neighbours, including one neighbour I consider to be 'really odd'. My non immediate next door neighbours are the strangest people I've ever met, they are a family of five, 3 older adult children all in their 20's - They NEVER leave the house, none of them go out - They are always indoors 24/7, and they've never decorated or changed their house since they've lived there, and the rooms are blank with no pictures on the walls etc - They have a car that is never driven and sits on the drive for months, I know I sound really observant but they are weird as hell

Hmmm i'd use another word. You bought a house in a street, Over time it has changed, As long as they aren't breaking any laws on a serious lever (curb parking isn't going to count) then you can't really do much

If they want they could fill the street with cars as long as they do it legally
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Your complaints about parking are ridiculous. Its little wonder your new neighbours are wary of you. Stop curtain twitching and get on with your own life.

The best thing to do would be to go round with a cake or something and say welcome to the neighbourhood. That's exactly what happened to us when we moved in and it made us feel very welcome.
This discussion has been closed.