Neighbours stealing mail/deliveries

cat80cat80 Posts: 4,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am wondering if some of you lovely people reading could give me some advice, I am at my wits end as to what to do.

I live in a house that has been converted into 4 flats and I rent via a letting agency. We have one front door in the hallway downstairs where all post is put through or if a parcel delivery man knocks and whoever answers signs for it or a card is left again in the communal hallway. We don't have bells to any of the flats, no post boxes etc

A few months ago I noticed deliveries going missing as things weren't arriving and companies saying the items had been sent. A couple of months ago Parcelforce delivered something on the Monday, I had been in and out on the Monday a few times and seen no card until the Tuesday. The card when I found it was folded as if been in someones pocket and time tried to be delivered was first thing on the Monday. I went to pick it up as had been left at a local post office and the guy behind the counter said a girl/teen had been in to pick it up, when asked for ID said she wasn't me but lived in the same building and would make sure I got it. Thank god the guy didn't hand it over though.

Then on 3 days my friend had sent me some posh flowers from Interflora and some champagne as a present. I found the card downstairs from Interflora saying left at flat 3 and the girl in flat 3's name. I knocked on Christmas Eve as I hadn't got an answer on the 23rd and she said no nothing here, we haven't taken anything in. I contacted the florist who said got the driver to call me and he gave me girls name, description and said she'd electronically signed for them. It's the girl in flat 3 again!!!

I am so angry but don't know what to do. I have parcels I don't know coming arrive all the time as I enter competitions so never know what's coming from one day to the next.

I don't know who my landlord is as I let through a letting agent and I am scared to make a fuss as the couple who live there are 2 girls who are in their late teens and to be honest rough as anything, mates too. But I cannot keep having my mail stolen either.

Any ideas or advice what to do please?

Comments

• TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    cat80 wrote: »
    I am so angry but don't know what to do. I have parcels I don't know coming arrive all the time as I enter competitions so never know what's coming from one day to the next.

Are these the kind of competitions where you buy items such as vitamins and face creams on a regular basis to enter the draw?
    Any ideas or advice what to do please?

If so, please speak to a relative you love and trust and tell them all about the competitions and show them what you've bought to help you win.
  • cat80cat80 Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No never bought a thing to enter, all completely free web entries that cost nothing to enter

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

I am asking for help here as it's a serious matter and it's getting me down. I am a full time carer and I don't need this added stress
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you either confront the neighbour, or notify the police.... if you think you might get problems dealing with the neighbour it might be easier to just involve the police, last thing you want is a psychotic relative of hers banging on your door!

Might be worth asking your other neighbours if they're having the same problems, can't imagine you'd be the only one, at the end of the day, it's theft.

You could give her a warning, she might give you the stuff back, but if she's a bit of a headcase I'd get a third party involved. We get tons of stuff delievered and there's no way we'd be able to put up with something like that! Good luck!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi cat,

First of all you can find out who your landlord is and tell them what is going on. See this Shelter page and scroll down to 'Landlords must give tenants certain information': http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/about_private_renting/landlords_responsibilities

As regards the theft of your Royal Mail Parcelforce delivered parcels (or any letters which might have been taken) see this Problem Neighbours page and scroll down to 'Neighbour Stealing your Post': http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/your-neighbour-stealing-from-you.html

For the theft of all your Courier delivered parcels by your neighbour who denies having them see this Which? page: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/my-parcel-was-left-with-a-neighbour-who-denies-having-it

Note: You must do something about this straight away. You should have acted as soon as it happened the first time. Don't wait any longer!
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd contact the police! Whoever is stealing your parcels needs to be taught a lesson and pay compensation. I'm sure they'd do the same if it was you stealing mail etc.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    I'd contact the police! Whoever is stealing your parcels needs to be taught a lesson and pay compensation. I'm sure they'd do the same if it was you stealing mail etc.

Yes this is theft. Even if the police don't get enough evidence to prosecute (or don't think it's worth it) then their involvement now may stop it happening again.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to live in a block of bedsits, years ago. We had a communal hall where the mail would be left. One day a package had been delivered for me, I left it in the hall way because I was going out.

When I came back, it was gone.

I put a big notice up basically to the effect,

"Today a package was delivered here for me, and has now gone., If it is not returned to this place by 5pm the Police will be called. And I mean they WILL be called. DO NOT IGNORE THIS".

The package was put back within the hour. I never had any mail go missing again.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let the police deal with it.

They might even speak to the letting agents about the thieving tenants.

If the tenants kick off at you, you can say you reported it as you thought your flowers and champagne must have been stolen by someone by close by, and you never suspected or implicated them.
  • cat80cat80 Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your replies and your help, I really do appreciate it

I will be speaking to my letting agents tomorrow when they are open again and see if they suggest anything. A note will be going up artnada, that is a great idea!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In days of yore when the GPO was the only deliverer you could have a PO Box, you could collect your mail from your local sorting office rather than them deliver it.

You could get your stuff delivered to a trusted friend or relative I suppose, but why should you ?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived somewhere with a similar setup and the same things happened, There was no way to prove who was the thief and in the end I was blamed by other residents, I shortly after moved and the thefts continued for another year at least until they caught the culprit bang to rights, The apologies were a bit late by then.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Police And Have Your Stuff Delivered Elsewhere In The Meantime.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send some shit in a box to yourself by recorded delivery.
  • The HemulenThe Hemulen Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found this info here..
    http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/other_crime_and_justice_topics/500355.html

Under the Postal Services Act 2000:

“A person commits an offence if he, without reasonable excuse, intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or intentionally opens a mail bag.”

“A person commits an offence if intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.”

This, in essence, means that if you deliberately intercept, throw away or open somebody else’s post you are likely to be breaking the law.

The Postal Services Act 2000 states that any person who commits this offence may be “liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both”.

Level 5 on the standard scale is a fine of £5,000.

If you believe that your post is being intercepted, you should contact a solicitor or the police.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if a person was stealing flowers from the garden it's a forum question, but theft of mail is a serious crime and the police should be notified.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Report this to the police OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contact the police, it is theft/fraud where they have taken the flowers sent to you while signing for them and it is attempted identity theft when they tried to get your parcel from the post office. Have the police contact the florist/courier service to get proof of signature and then the police can investigate them.

As for being rough teens, so? A tough life and bad attitude don't allow a license to commit crimes without consequences. If they want to behave like scumbags, let them sink down to the level of scum where theft is not a choice but a necessity of life to get by. Let's see how cocky and belligerent they are when they are homeless after their tenancy is revoked when they are prosecuted for this, doing tricks to buy a burger and sleeping in alleyways, and can only dream of having the chance to steal from their neighbours and their well meaning friends.

They are thieves and liars taking from you because you are nice and they don't care. So don't care in return, let justice be done.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contact police and in the meantime request all items sent special delivery only, yes i know it's expensive , however you have nominated next day delivery before 1 o'clock so you will know exactly when it is due to arrive and can be ready waiting for it. secondly if the other people do intercept your parcel and sign for it , if you then say to royal mail that you haven't received your parcel and ask to see proof of the signature that they claim to have you have proof that is not your signature, .the whole point of signing for special delivery is that it is your unique signature and nobody elses whereas with the courier service they do tend to take anybody signature.in the meantime could you have a parcel delivered to your place of work or a relative , how about you post a few parcels to yourself special delivery, knowing they will be delivered the next morning and hide somewhere and see if you're stealing neighbour tries to sign for them, literally creep up behind her as she tries to sign for it and see what she says to the postman catch her red handed
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your replies and your help, I really do appreciate it

I will be speaking to my letting agents tomorrow when they are open again and see if they suggest anything. A note will be going up artnada, that is a great idea!

why don't you contact the police? No offence but you seem too nice :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can also request an opt out sticker from the post office it categorically states that unless you are there to sign for your post you want it returned to the sorting office. contact your sorting office as well and tell them you're having your post stolen and that you want everything tracked for a few months, ask them if you can set up a unique password that as well as your signature you have to sign the agreed password as well before post handed over to the wrong person
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can also request an opt out sticker from the post office it categorically states that unless you are there to sign for your post you want it returned to the sorting office. contact your sorting office as well and tell them you're having your post stolen and that you want everything tracked for a few months, ask them if you can set up a unique password that as well as your signature you have to sign the agreed password as well before post handed over to the wrong person

Those opt out stickers are very hit and miss. Depending on the delivery company they still knock on all the doors trying to get a neighbour to take items even though the sticker specifically states not to do this. RM generally abide by it, but some couriers think it doesn't apply to them.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope you contact the police and they have a serious word with the girl in flat 3 so it scares her into never doing it again. Really hate people stealing from others and you shouldn't put up with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those opt out stickers are very hit and miss. Depending on the delivery company they still knock on all the doors trying to get a neighbour to take items even though the sticker specifically states not to do this. RM generally abide by it, but some couriers think it doesn't apply to them.
    that's because they are royal mail opt out stickers so of course this will only work for royal mail however he could have all parcelsr sent royal mail special delivery signed for next day delivery and no couriers AND the opt out sticker till problem solved
  • LYPCLYPC Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Post something to yourself, make it look tempting, could be something in a padded jiffy bag. Put a note inside stating in big letters 'I KNOW YOU ARE STEALING MAIL. THIS STOPS NOW OR THE POLICE WILL BE INVOLVED' and then see what happens.
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How awful! My flats are the same (not with theft but there is only 1 main door with letterbox - no individual postboxes). Anything I don't want others to have I get sent to my parents address, I appreciate this isn't an option for everyone. Some delivery people are shocking though. The guy in the flat opposite gets quite a lot of stuff delivered and is often out. Postmen/couriers will often ring my buzzer and leave the stuff but no card saying I've got it and in 99% of cases I've asked if they want me to sign and been told "no don't worry about it"! I missed a delivery of my OU materials (from Yodel) and phoned them for re-delivery, because of the way our flats are, if you can't get into the main door there's nowhere else parcels can be left. They were adamant they needed a signature but couldn't give me a firm time. Luckily, I was in when they re-delivered. I asked the bloke where I signed and he said "don't bother, my electronic pad is broken"!!

Anyway, I've drifted. Call the Police OP, contact your landlord/letting agent and get mail delivered elsewhere if possible.