Options

Yahweh and Allah. Are they moral and ethical Gods?

Greatest_IamGreatest_Iam Posts: 678
Forum Member
✭✭

Some say we cannot say or know, because it is all myth.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

I think they are wrong as men can judge actions.

I think we can at least know if Yahweh and Allah, and the religions they spawned, are good or evil.

Since God is a Man interpreting God’s words, believers all following a Man.

We invent our Gods and put them above us. But ultimately get all we know of God, and his morality from others around us. Priests and imams interpret and are the spokes in the religious communication network. Those priests and imams are teaching violence against their neighbor instead of love. I do not see that as ethical behavior for any moral religion.

From what you know of Yahweh and Allah, and the religions they have spawned, would you say that those two War loving Gods, as we also love it in their image, good Gods, or would you say they are something else?

Regards
DL

Comments

• Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yahweh is Allah! :eek:
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member

I think we can at least know if Yahweh and Allah, and the religions they spawned, are good or evil.

We invent our Gods and put them above us. But ultimately get all we know of God, and his morality from others around us. Priests and imams interpret and are the spokes in the religious communication network. Those priests and imams are teaching violence against their neighbor instead of love. I do not see that as ethical behavior for any moral religion.

From what you know of Yahweh and Allah, and the religions they have spawned, would you say that those two War loving Gods, as we also love it in their image, good Gods, or would you say they are something else?

Regards
    DL

All I know is that Yahweh (Jehovah) and Allah are the same deity as God (as in God the father, son and holy ghost). The Abrahamic religions all share the same God and that isn't really in dispute. Whether he is moral and ethical isn't really a question I can make sense of. He is what his believers believe him to be.

I know little of the belief system of Islam. I know a little more about Judaism and quite a lot about Christianity but irrespective of how much or how little I know any judgement about the lack of morality or ethics, or not, I might apply to one would be true of all three since they are different names for the same thing.

To me the question makes about as much sense as asking if tabby cats and tortoiseshell cats are purrier or slinkier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What she said. ^^^

Bengals are the slinkiest though. :cool:
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I said "Richard Dawkins says we should go to war with the Isle of Man"

would that say anything about Richard Dawkin, or more about me?
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    All I know is that Yahweh (Jehovah) and Allah are the same deity as God (as in God the father, son and holy ghost). The Abrahamic religions all share the same God and that isn't really in dispute. Whether he is moral and ethical isn't really a question I can make sense of. He is what his believers believe him to be.

I know little of the belief system of Islam. I know a little more about Judaism and quite a lot about Christianity but irrespective of how much or how little I know any judgement about the lack of morality or ethics, or not, I might apply to one would be true of all three since they are different names for the same thing.

To me the question makes about as much sense as asking if tabby cats and tortoiseshell cats are purrier or slinkier.

After much deliberation i'm going with Tabby cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    After much deliberation i'm going with Tabby cats.

Would it be ethical to push that cat down the stairs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would it be ethical to push that cat down the stairs?

Some say "we cannot say, because He is a myth".
    Others say "welcome to the desert of the real" :cool:

*purrs*:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Some say "we cannot say, because He is a myth".
    Others say "welcome to the desert of the real" :cool:

*purrs*:kitty:

One more contender. :kitty:

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D:D:D a disciple :cool:

:kitty:
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regards
    DL

There seems to be a bit of a mismatch between your linked video and the point you are arguing. I don't know whether to answer your post, assuming you have chosen the wrong link, or to address the video, assuming you may have misinterpreted it.

:confused:
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The primitive desert spawned Yahweh/Allah is one of the most despicable Gods ever created - and given the competition that is really saying something.

Everything Dawkins said about Him in the OT applies even more to the Deity of the Quran.

'The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.'
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yahweh got nukes, and Allah want em too ! Like the locker room, when the bloke nearby remove his pants, to reveal a huge willy ........
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The primitive desert spawned Yahweh/Allah is one of the most despicable Gods ever created - and given the competition that is really saying something.

Everything Dawkins said about Him in the OT applies even more to the Deity of the Quran.

'The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.'

So u prefer gnosticism ?
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after the fall God is up there and far away, and with not much power..powerless rather than evil.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh I dunno, some of those aztec/inca gods could give him a run for the money or getting stuffed into a wicker man and burnt alive at Bealtaine might make him rethink that one.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It depends on whether someone thinks their god is the ultimate moral arbiter. In which case morality may not apply to the god itself.

If it is a myth then it would be irrelevant, not that we wouldn't know, because that would presume the god being real (even as a remote chance).

From what I know of them I would say they are the same god. ;-)
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    The first people to acknowledge and give any credence to claims that Mohammed had been receiving messages from 'God', were Jewish Rabbies.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    The first people to acknowledge and give any credence to claims that Mohammed had been receiving messages from 'God', were Jewish Rabbies.

Would there have been many of any other religions around at that time and place? Though they probably weren't Scottish ones. ;-)
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know - did their story writers make then ethical and Moral? Have you read the books? Surely it shouldnt be hard to tell if you have read the stories/tales that were made up about them.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno. Is Mr Darcy moral and ethical?
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To me the question makes about as much sense as asking if tabby cats and tortoiseshell cats are purrier or slinkier.[/QUOTE]

Got one of each. The tortie is slinkier. But they both purr about the same.
  • Options
    Greatest_IamGreatest_Iam Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keyser_Soze1

The one man that can speak the truth.

Thanks for showing the others how to answer a moral question.

Seems that you and I have balls. The rest are no better than cowardly theists.

Regards
    DL
  • Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there's a blast from the past! Greatest am I used to post on a now gone forum at the same time as me, 5-10 years ago, recognise his style anywhere! Trust me, this "character" gets very old, very fast!
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keyser_Soze1

The one man that can speak the truth.

Thanks for showing the others how to answer a moral question.

Seems that you and I have balls. The rest are no better than cowardly theists.

Regards
    DL

How is it cowardly if you express a minority opinion?

When did an opinion echoing your own suddenly become truth?
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are reflections of human nature. So they show us what is best and worst in ourselves.
    Or is the OP actually saying that they exist out there somewhere?
    NB - Yahweh and Allah are the same. But I expect that OP knew that already.