Options

Improvements in the pipeline?

Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,978
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Interesting interview with VM CEO today, says amongst other things
VM need to update its neglected set-top box...will change beginning this week...menus slicker and more picture based..
Series of updates to deliver new features, including series link plus
At the turn of the year will launch a new stb to rival Sky Q, with ultra HD, ability to sling
Major overhaul of "plumbing" to enable use of Horizon

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.

Here's the full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/04/24/virgin-media-turns-up-the-television-volume-to-transform-its-neg/

It's fair to say he's correct that Virgin's TV service has been neglected in recent years and a new STB is long overdue.

There is a single mention of the current TiVo boxes getting software updates this year, but then it goes on to mention Horizon which is the TV system they use in Ireland and other countries. It makes me wonder what (if any) long term future TiVo has. Will they even bother with a new TiVo box?

"... there will be a major overhaul of the ageing plumbing that powers Virgin Media’s broadcasting, to allow it to shift to Liberty Global’s next generation distribution system, Horizon, which is already in use elsewhere in Europe."
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    It's fair to say he's correct that Virgin's TV service has been neglected in recent years and a new STB is long overdue.
    Completely agree.
    There is a single mention of the current TiVo boxes getting software updates this year, but then it goes on to mention Horizon which is the TV system they use in Ireland and other countries. It makes me wonder what (if any) long term future TiVo has. Will they even bother with a new TiVo box?
    Didn't VM sign a new (three year?) deal with Tivo only last year? Can't remember, to be honest.

I don't like the idea of a not-Tivo unless it has exactly the same functionality and meta-data-rich EPG.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Completely agree.

Didn't VM sign a new (three year?) deal with Tivo only last year? Can't remember, to be honest.

I don't like the idea of a not-Tivo unless it has exactly the same functionality and meta-data-rich EPG.

trust me Horizon aint all that, I find its menu's pretty bland.
    Hardware is very good, but dont see whats wrong with the tivo.

it has a lot of bashing to be honest.
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been looking at the videos for Horizon and it looks so dull, it looks more dated than the TiVo interface and looks so cheap. The only advantage over the Samsung ones over UK TiVo is the fact it can record 4 programmes at once, however in America theres TiVo Roamio that can record up to 6 programmes so nothing stopping that coming to the UK in the future and hopefully be alot faster than Virgin Tivo
  • Options
    AndylandAndyland Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"... there will be a major overhaul of the ageing plumbing that powers Virgin Media’s broadcasting, to allow it to shift to Liberty Global’s next generation distribution system, Horizon, which is already in use elsewhere in Europe."

Remember, there is no Tivo 'box' in the UK, only software. My guess is that the hardware will be a new pan-european Liberty Global set top box that will ship with Tivo software in the UK initially, but at some point in the future, once VM's "plumbing" has been overhauled, will be switched over to the Horizon platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been looking at the videos for Horizon and it looks so dull, it looks more dated than the TiVo interface and looks so cheap. The only advantage over the Samsung ones over UK TiVo is the fact it can record 4 programmes at once, however in America theres TiVo Roamio that can record up to 6 programmes so nothing stopping that coming to the UK in the future and hopefully be alot faster than Virgin Tivo

TiVo Bolt is where its at.

the platform for horizon is good, just crap interface. They have been having problems with it. it does support Mocca that cable ethernet thing.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One potential barrier to getting a US TiVo is that the systems are radically different. The US cable companies use some horribly proprietary mess, whereas obviously Virgin use DVB.

TiVo would have to add DVB support to the US code before bringing it over. It'd also depend of course on if Virgin are prepared to pay for that to be done, instead of moving to Liberty's system
  • Options
    BarmyTightsBarmyTights Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Here's the full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/04/24/virgin-media-turns-up-the-television-volume-to-transform-its-neg/

Is there any other European country Horizon isn't used in?
  • Options
    technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember why Sky came out with SKY+ a few years later Virgin came out with their new box called V+ So I imagine the new virgin box will be called Virgin Q and be 4k etc...
  • Options
    AndylandAndyland Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    I remember why Sky came out with SKY+ a few years later Virgin came out with their new box called V+ So I imagine the new virgin box will be called Virgin Q and be 4k etc...

It was originally called TV Drive when Telewest launched it.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any other European country Horizon isn't used in?

Other than the UK, they all use Horizon. In Belgium the product is called 'Yelo' but is just Horizon under a different name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    technoguy wrote: »
    Well to be fair the + suffix was really a no-brainer and did work for both brands :)
    Andyland wrote: »
    It was originally called TV Drive when Telewest launched it.
    Yes indeed. And I'm almost certain I was one of the first to review it, back in the day.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    MRS has now been switched on across most channels - including BBC and ITV
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well to be fair the + suffix was really a no-brainer and did work for both brands :)
    Yes it's not really fair to say Virgin stole the '+' suffix - when Telewest first launched their PVR it was called the TVDrive and Freeview's PVR line was called Freeview Playback.

When the Virgin rebrand happened they decided it would be easier to call it 'V+' as a competitor to Sky+, and what do you know, Freeview followed suit by rebranding their PVR line as Freeview+.

It was just easier to have a uniform naming scheme to signify that 'this is a PVR'.
  • Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    MRS has now been switched on across most channels - including BBC and ITV

What is MRS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is MRS?

I too would Like to know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    One potential barrier to getting a US TiVo is that the systems are radically different. The US cable companies use some horribly proprietary mess, whereas obviously Virgin use DVB.

TiVo would have to add DVB support to the US code before bringing it over. It'd also depend of course on if Virgin are prepared to pay for that to be done, instead of moving to Liberty's system

it's just ATSC.

swap the tuner and be done with it.
  • Options
    pepstarpepstar Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin TV is a shadow of its former self, it used to be the leader in new tech VOD, Exclusive Channels, better picture quality.

Arguably others have taken over in all these areas, they need to reverse this, and stay competitive with sky and other channel providers, I had virgin tv for years, now i've moved back to sky it would take me a lot to move back... I compared deals yesterday on TV, and sky offered me £19 for the family pack plus a £50 credit, virgin were willing to offer me some short team deals on Xl, but nothing anywhere good enough to make me stay.

Given the 'cutting the cable generation' affecting all pay TV providers, and the change to amazon, netflix, nowTV and other IPTV providers, virgin need to offer something distinct.

Before the 3 tuners brigade turn up, in 2016 with VOD/IPTV and SkyQ, etc having 3 turners for 1 tv set is not going to sway listeners.

I am interested to see what the horizon box will bring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pepstar wrote: »
    Virgin TV is a shadow of its former self, it used to be the leader in new tech VOD, Exclusive Channels, better picture quality.

Arguably ...
    Exactly :)
    I compared deals yesterday on TV, and sky offered me £19 for the family pack plus a £50 credit, virgin were willing to offer me some short team deals on Xl, but nothing anywhere good enough to make me stay.
    So your only criteria was saving money not actually anything to do with "new tech VOD, Exclusive Channels, better picture quality" then.

Sky would have to pay me before I leave VM and my Tivo.
    Before the 3 tuners brigade turn up, in 2016 with VOD/IPTV and SkyQ, etc having 3 turners for 1 tv set is not going to sway listeners.
    Or even viewers ;)

However, I'll take the Tivo interface and functionality over anything else. I can get a Roku box for any streaming I want to do.
    I am interested to see what the horizon box will bring.
    I'm not unless it's a Tivo.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member

I'm not unless it's a Tivo.

What is so good about the Tivo Carl?
  • Options
    Zep45Zep45 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    it's just ATSC.

swap the tuner and be done with it.

Not really, ATSC is pretty much exclusively used by terrestrial TV as Digital cable and satellite (DVB-S is used) is older and already used Quadrature amplitude modulation. Its closer to DVB-C if anything and uses used part of the DVB standard.

ATSC on the other hand uses Vestigial sideband modulation with 8VSB but cable companies don’t have need as high sound to noise ratio as over the air TV so this is waste full bandwidth wise so they choose to use 256-QAM. Although there is 16VSB there is/was compatibly issues and 256-QAM was already in use QAM is what is used.

moox wrote: »

Are you sure it a proprietary mess as US cable companies are required to allow freedom to use your own hardware via the CableCARD standard?

Unless you referring to the on demand part.
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think there's room for major improvement to the Tivo. I get very frustrated when it tells me I can't record a programme at say 2100 because it clashes with 3 others when there are only 2 recordings planned this issue appears to be caused by 1+1=3!
    Programme 1 2000 to 2100 +
    Programme 2 2000 to 2100 according to Tivo this requires 3 Tuners so recording at 2100 requires a non existent 4th tuner.
    Now before somebody mentions Overlap Protection or padding these are turned off!
    I still say that even with padding making it 1959 to 2104 this should only involve 1 Tuner so 2 programmes from 1959 to 2104 shouldn't clash with 2059 to 2204 but it does!
    We're getting so fed up with this we're thinking of switching to Sky Q for our Tv service.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You did that on purpose :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everything.

martytoo wrote: »
    I still think there's room for major improvement to the Tivo. I get very frustrated when it tells me I can't record a programme at say 2100 because it clashes with 3 others when there are only 2 recordings planned this issue appears to be caused by 1+1=3!
    Programme 1 2000 to 2100 +
    Programme 2 2000 to 2100 according to Tivo this requires 3 Tuners so recording at 2100 requires a non existent 4th tuner.
    Now before somebody mentions Overlap Protection or padding these are turned off!
    Sorry but that's nonsense. With O-LP and auto-padding off then the Tivo will stick to EPG timings only. I have never had any problems recording three things at once. There should certainly be no issues recording two things at once.

There is something you're not telling us.
    I still say that even with padding making it 1959 to 2104 this should only involve 1 Tuner so 2 programmes from 1959 to 2104 shouldn't clash with 2059 to 2204 but it does!
    No it doesn't three tuners should easily take care of all three of those recordings just fine.
    We're getting so fed up with this we're thinking of switching to Sky Q for our Tv service.
    And yet with O-LP and auto-padding off I have never had any of these issues. That said, I rarely add padding myself so my Tivo generally sticks to the EPG timings.