Options

Im about too watch The X Files whats the best seasons??

Comments

• Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can i be harsh? Forget crappy Prison Break and remain focussed on X-Files. :)

Ok, i take that back. But it's up to you.

As for Red Museum, I can't give an opinion on that episode. I don't remember it. It has been a few years since I did an XF re-watch to be fair. But i still retain the knowledge on the mythology and many other standalone episodes to able to have jumped into season 10 so easily.

Only reason I'm trying to power through PB is because I'm borrowing the box set. And I'm getting through it very quickly! Tomorrow I'm going to be doing hopefully 3 episodes. Can only fit 1 in today (Aubrey). But believe me, I'm focused on X Files :)

Which makes me wonder, do you prefer the "storyline" episodes that are all interlinked or the "monster of the week" episodes? Everyone I've spoken to prefer the linked mythology eps compared to the one off episodes.

I think I do too but there has been great monster of the week episodes too. I don't get the hate that stuff like that gets in other shows. I don't mind procedural shows however I started to get annoyed with Grimm but it's latest episode was by far the best of the season. So yes usually I prefer episodes connected to the purpose or "end game"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sattrega wrote: »
    Red Museum isn't one of the best of the season. Not the worst though IMO, as I mentioned earlier for me that's Dod Kalm & Fearful Symmetry.

Aubrey is a good one. Irresistible is brilliant IMO.

Not looking forward to Dod Kalm then because it seems most people say it's worse than Red Museum. So that doesn't sound good :p
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder, do you prefer the "storyline" episodes that are all interlinked or the "monster of the week" episodes? Everyone I've spoken to prefer the linked mythology eps compared to the one off episodes.

I think I do too but there has been great monster of the week episodes too. I don't get the hate that stuff like that gets in other shows. I don't mind procedural shows however I started to get annoyed with Grimm but it's latest episode was by far the best of the season. So yes usually I prefer episodes connected to the purpose or "end game"

This has changed for me over the years. When I watched the show during its original run it was all about the mythology arc. Yeah, I loved the MotW but anything to do with the main myth arc was what I looked forward to the most.

Now that's flipped. After many repeated viewings it's the stand-alones that I love the most. Not knocking the mythology episodes, I still love the majority of them but if I were to some how put a top twenty episode list together I reckon about 80% would be MotW episodes.
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    This has changed for me over the years. When I watched the show during its original run it was all about the mythology arc. Yeah, I loved the MotW but anything to do with the main myth arc was what I looked forward to the most.

Now that's flipped. After many repeated viewings it's the stand-alones that I love the most. Not knocking the mythology episodes, I still love the majority of them but if I were to some how put a top twenty episode list together I reckon about 80% would be MotW episodes.

When you know the mythology episodes don't really go anywhere or even have a satisfying pay off, you kind of lose interest in them. :blush:

Personally I like the monster of the week episodes, same with Supernatural. They're like a self contained mini movie. :)

Season one and two were great for me. I kinda lost interest when the mythology began to collapse in on itself. Also, random I know, but I think the show Dark Skies is worth a watch too. ;)
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I became detached from it at some point and would only watch the odd episode, so the standalone episodes were always preferable for me. It wasn't overly complicated but when you missed a few 'mythology' episodes then you'd have to concentrate hard to make any sense of it because all sorts seemed to be going off.

Home will always be the ultimate epsiode that comes to mind when I think of X Files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aubery- This was a good episode. It was quite well paced and exciting. So, an above average IMO.

Irresistible- Now, that was a fantastic episode. And I would place it in the Top 5 so far along with Duane Barry, One Breath, Ice and Tooms, and just beating Slick which is #6 on my list. It had everything I wanted. Donny was an extremely creepy villain who sent me chills. Kudos the actor who played the role very well. Seeing Scully being effected by her earlier abduction was a great touch too, and I am glad that she finally let it out at the end there with Mulder. Poor Scully :(
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only reason I'm trying to power through PB is because I'm borrowing the box set. And I'm getting through it very quickly! Tomorrow I'm going to be doing hopefully 3 episodes. Can only fit 1 in today (Aubrey). But believe me, I'm focused on X Files :)

Today's views on standalone episodes are very negative and they are always looked down upon.

I don't like standalone episodes mixed in with arc. At least when it comes to the sci-fi/fantasy genre. To me, that defeats the purpose of being a standalone. I prefer a good mix of both like how The X Files, Doctor Who and The Librarians does. I don't like shows that are purely serialized in every episode. I find it boring and suffocating, which is why I don't like and don't watch a fair amount of other sci-fi/fantasy shows currently on television. 22 episodes of full on story arc is not good way to be accessible to a mixed audience or to allow the audience to take a breather and go on to other different types of storytelling.

Grimm started out well with standalone episodes in the first season, but by the second season, they were combined and I often found the arc and standalone didn't gel. Many times, they would shoe horn the arc storylines randomly. I grew tired of the show for many reasons but that was one. So i dropped. The same with Agents of Shield and the same with Supernatural, which became far too arc driven from season 4 onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's views on standalone episodes are very negative and they are always looked down upon.

I don't like standalone episodes mixed in with arc. At least when it comes to the sci-fi/fantasy genre. To me, that defeats the purpose of being a standalone. I prefer a good mix of both like how The X Files, Doctor Who and The Librarians does. I don't like shows that are purely serialized in every episode. I find it boring and suffocating, which is why I don't like and don't watch a fair amount of other sci-fi/fantasy shows currently on television. 22 episodes of full on story arc is not good way to be accessible to a mixed audience or to allow the audience to take a breather and go on to other different types of storytelling.

Grimm started out well with standalone episodes in the first season, but by the second season, they were combined and I often found the arc and standalone didn't gel. Many times, they would shoe horn the arc storylines randomly. I grew tired of the show for many reasons but that was one. So i dropped. The same with Agents of Shield and the same with Supernatural, which became far too arc driven from season 4 onwards.

I understand for sure. I like a mix of both just like Buffy. If you do a long arc it makes it difficult to newer viewers to follow. S2 and 3 of Buffy had the perfect mix of MOTW and season arc.

Grimm like I said has kind of disappointed me since the start of S4 but the latest episode for me was the best since S3. It's gone back to the original purpose of the show that we saw on the Pilot episode. This makes me think it's the last season because (just in case you want to watch it I won't spill) that the last scene was like 4 years all coming together in the space of 2 mins and makes me positive that the end is near for the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad you understand. :)

Glad you liked Aubrey and Irresistible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you like Irresistible, too, Salv. I know there are some that found the subject matter in that episode disturbing and it put them off.

You've got some crackers coming up, give us some forewarning on when you are about to embark on Humbug and your first step in to the weird and wonderful mind of Darin Morgan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you like Irresistible, too, Salv. I know there are some that found the subject matter in that episode disturbing and it put them off.

You've got some crackers coming up, give us some forewarning on when you are about to embark on Humbug and your first step in to the weird and wonderful mind of Darin Morgan.

What I usually do is after I watch an episode I have a look on Wiki at the episode to see the reception it got and whether they agreed with me. And so far, I seem to be in agreement with the reception on most episodes.

Looking at Irresistible, I agree, it was disturbing, however on Wiki it said initially, the villain was supposed to be a necrophiliac, but that was rejected by FOX for being too dark for a main channel in the US. That would have been very shocking, especially back then because I don't think many shows even touched that subject.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Die Hand Die Verletzt- It was good I thought. It was eery and creepy. Just wondering whether the Buffy episode "Witch" looked at this episode and incorporated it in that episode because they seem quite similar. That teacher was *beep* crazy. It was nearly the end of the road for Mulder and Scully there! 8/10

Fresh Bones- Quite interesting storyline. This one is quite close to me because of the subject of the story. I have someone I know from my year who was training to be in the Army for several years since leaving school. A couple years ago he was out there, but as a medic. I cant imagine the stuff he saw. I know him and he's a nice guy but never been really good friends because he was in the year above. According to my cousin, he would see things and freak out. He would jump at any noise and just stare endlessly into thin air. Thousand yard stare? I saw him a couple of months back and you can tell he's not at ease around people. Anyway, as I said, it was interesting, a good, solid episode. 6.5/10

FYI, as you can see, i will be grading shows now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you viewing The X files on, salv?
    DVD, Prime, Netflix?

As for grading, I had all the episodes graded until i lost the file on my computer. Will be grading them again when i get around to rewatch. Although I am slightly less generous and only rate out of 5. 1 for awful, 2 for not great, 3 for average, 4 for really good and 5 for incredible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you viewing The X files on, salv?
    DVD, Prime, Netflix?

I bought S1 but CEX didn't have the others in store. Apparently lots of people have been purchasing the X Files boxsets! That's what the staff in store said.

Right now I'm watching on Watch Series online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use watch series for various shows

The complete series and two movies is available for £48 on amazon. Worth the money and saves you buying each series one by one. The dvd's have great features, especially the featurettes that have the cast and crew discuss each season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you mentioned the movies LM. Remember Salv, you'll need to watch the first movie at the end of season 5 and before starting season 6. See if you can get the director's cut version if possible.

I still have a major soft spot for Die Hand Die Verletzt all these years later. Great episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes I saw that there's a movie but didn't know if it would be relevant but now I know it is. Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colony/End Game- So, here's a double episode for you obviously as it was a two-parter. Trust Brian Thompson to make an appearance as a villain. He's always some sort of villain/monster in all these fantasy'sci fi type shows. I swear I've never seen him play a nice guy who's a human :p I loved the last scene of Colony with the impostor and the real Mulder calling Scully on the phone.

Samantha Mulder, yeah, alright then! As if. I knew it wasn't her. I think she's dead and has been for years, so I will be surprised if she turns up at all during the series. I just don't think she will be alive.

I found the second last scene quite funny. I know it had to be done to save Mulder, but never would someone be able to waltz into a hospital room, especially with a patient under a critical condition, and demand the doctors to do what they say. :D

Rating- 7.5/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fearful Symmetry - A very big MEH episode for me. Wasn't a fan of this episode in the slightest and I'd place it in the Bottom 3 with Space and Red Museum. IMO it was really dull. The only bits I enjoyed was the opening scene and Sophie being really cute (I'm guessing that wasn't an actual gorilla even in the non action bits but a person in a costume?). 3/10

Dod Kalm- I really expected this to be awful due to the comments on here and elsewhere, but I didn't think it was that bad at all. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. Interesting concept, but maybe it gets negative reviews when looking back if you have watched all the seasons, maybe it doesn't hold up well on re-watch. It was below average. Got to say, I jumped at the mummified hand falling off :D and the corpses looked creepy as hell. The only gripe i have about the episode was the background music/score which was (i think) turned up a little too loud and was a bit OTT. I think they were trying out a samey direction as Ice, with them being stuck in a single place for most of the episode, but it didn't come anywhere near to the brilliance of Ice. 4/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (I'm guessing that wasn't an actual gorilla even in the non action bits but a person in a costume?)

Yeah, an actor called Jody St. Michael.

You've just passed two of the worst episodes of the season IMO, Salv, now you're in for some corkers starting with Humbug. Darin Morgan is idolised for his episodes so enjoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use watch series for various shows

The complete series and two movies is available for £48 on amazon. Worth the money and saves you buying each series one by one. The dvd's have great features, especially the featurettes that have the cast and crew discuss each season.

Take that as a no then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take that as a no then

Woops, i missed this post.

I might just stick to the watching online now I think. I might buy all the seasons from CEX in the future. Each season is £4 on there so might do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woops, i missed this post.

I might just stick to the watching online now I think. I might buy all the seasons from CEX in the future. Each season is £4 on there so might do that.

Oh ok fair enough

Are you recording season 10 from the television?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh ok fair enough

Are you recording season 10 from the television?

Nope. I should have but my Dad usually records something at 9pm for him, and then I record Gotham at 10pm, so I can't even record on C5+1.

So I'll just watch that online when I finish the first 9 seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, an actor called Jody St. Michael.

You've just passed two of the worst episodes of the season IMO, Salv, now you're in for some corkers starting with Humbug. Darin Morgan is idolised for his episodes so enjoy.

Yeah, it kind of dampened the season with them two episodes following each other.

I see Vince Gilligan is involved in a few episodes which should be quite decent.