Homebase in Trouble?

Comments

• LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    B&Q is basically the same, why aren't they in trouble? Linkinpark875

B&Q has staff in it who actually know what they're talking about, and things you need. Homebase seems to be staffed by spotty teens who don't know an Allen key from an aardvark.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    B&Q has staff in it who actually know what they're talking about, and things you need. Homebase seems to be staffed by spotty teens who don't know an Allen key from an aardvark.

Too true - the look I got in homebase when I asked if they had a whetstone - the girl on the helpdesk would've looked less confused if I'd asked where they kept the unicorn horns.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Have B&M started doing DIY stuff then?

Apparently so....not exactly a proper DIY store though. Just a handful of essentials.
    http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/diy/
    That the first I've heard of a B&M store!
    Shrike wrote: »
    Too true - the look I got in homebase when I asked if they had a whetstone - the girl on the helpdesk would've looked less confused if I'd asked where they kept the unicorn horns.
    I got a similar look a few years ago when I queried about a product I saw online. It was so bizarre that I'm glad I went down there with others as I doubt I would be believed that the staff couldn't understand the concept of being able to see stock availability via a computer.
    This same Homebase is quite hidden from the nearest main road to it (it's tucked behind a big building) and, despite the custom being fairly brisk, it doesn't help that there's a B&Q a minute's walk away on the same main road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A few years ago, I went into Homebase to buy a new toilet seat. I couldn't find them anywhere, and eventually asked one of the spotty teens where they were kept.

He informed me that they were in the "seasonal" aisle.

Up until that point, I had no idea that lavatory seats were seasonal. The sales assistant had no idea when the bog seat season started and finished though.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. We also find that when they do stock something we want, they hardly ever seem to have it in stock, iykwim. Their stock control sucks. .
    That's more down to the store keeping their inventory accurate. When I used to work there many moons ago they were very big on that and the system they use is one of the most powerful around.

What used to annoy a lot of people was that stores are discouraged from carrying overstock of anything that is not a hot-seller (eg. white emulsion). As another paint example a colour will normally only have 3 or 6 tins 2.5l tins on the shelf. Once those have been picked up you have to wait a week for them to be re-ordered. Unlike B&Q/Wickes that use the warehouse layout with heavy duty racking everywhere and masses of warehouse space, Homebase is a conventional store so carries a lot less items. The management are fully aware of this and are targeting at the female home-designer type market rather than Bob the Builder. Fancier displays, more decroative and furnishing lines and more to-order at the cost of your conventional bricks and mortar type items.

I do agree the pricing is a joke though. The store I worked at was previously a Focus and despite a lot of the stock being the same thing with a different label on they were often double, sometimes 3x, the price.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our nearest Homebase is t too bad. We had our bathroom done by them and we are very pleased with it.

Don't forget Homebase took on the Texas Homecare chain and some of the Focus / smiths doit all( if you could ever find a member of staff)

Homebase were part of the sainsburys group but that changed some time ago and I think they joined the same group as Argos.
    What happened after that I can't remember. I hope they don't close though.

B&M have some fantastic wallpapers, far better than those in Homebase and B&Q, the latter seemed to have the same papers, B&M on the other hand hand had gorgeous papers, fantastic quality and as I found very easy to put up. They had papers varying in price from really cheap to almost £30 a roll so something for everyone. They also had a good paint selection both colours and brands so for me that would be the first place I would go for decorating, however I got paneling for my hall from homebase and love it.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked at how expensive paint at Homebase was when I bought some last month. Compared to a couple of years ago prices appear to have skyrocketed - and not just the paint either, come to that. I won't be shopping there in the future if I can help it.

Some of the staff were dreadful, too.
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I was shocked at how expensive paint at Homebase was when I bought some last month. Compared to a couple of years ago prices appear to have skyrocketed - and not just the paint either, come to that. I won't be shopping there in the future if I can help it.

Some of the staff were dreadful, too.

What are they making it out of these days liquid gold and there is almost no choice in color you have to have it made.

It used to be a couple of quid, I found an old tin £1.99 same size tin now £15
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More news of closures today:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2732677/Hundreds-jobs-hit-Homebase-shuts-stores.html

Looks like a smaller portfolio of stores seems to be there plan so Home Retail group (Argos) can sell them off.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    More news of closures today:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2732677/Hundreds-jobs-hit-Homebase-shuts-stores.html

Looks like a smaller portfolio of stores seems to be there plan so Home Retail group (Argos) can sell them off.

Yep who would want a load of loss making stores, what any good buisness would do close down get rid
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Here in Oxford we have Two...yes , Two Homebase stores, our city isn't very big , we don't need two, B&Q pulled out of Oxford couple of yrs ago, dunno why,
    We also have Wickes and Johnsons buildbase
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homebase are rubbish, but no B&Q in Oxford??? :o
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local Homebase has just undergone a refurbishment.
    Forum Member
    Homebase are rubbish, but no B&Q in Oxford??? :o

Yes, i know, surprising isn't it, nearest one Abingdon 8 miles away
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/22/homebase-to-close-quarter-stores-diy

1 and 4 stores to shut bad news for the DIY industry and a shame there will be job loses.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

:D:D:D

You've just given me an idea :D I was in B&Q on Sunday. Pity I didn't think of that then :p
    A few years ago, I went into Homebase to buy a new toilet seat. I couldn't find them anywhere, and eventually asked one of the spotty teens where they were kept.

He informed me that they were in the "seasonal" aisle.

Up until that point, I had no idea that lavatory seats were seasonal. The sales assistant had no idea when the bog seat season started and finished though.

Brilliant :D I never knew toilet seats were seasonal. Wonder what season is toilet seat season?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

You've just given me an idea :D I was in B&Q on Sunday. Pity I didn't think of that then :p

Brilliant :DI never knew toilet seats were seasonal. Wonder what season is toilet seat season?

That is a very easy one to answer. The season is when the weather gets colder While it is bearable and probably acceptable to sit on the bog with ones arse direct on the ceramic bowl without a seat in the summer, it is not quite so jolly when the weather gets colder.:D
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    That is a very easy one to answer. The season is when the weather gets colder While it is bearable and probably acceptable to sit on the bog with ones arse direct on the ceramic bowl without a seat in the summer, it is not quite so jolly when the weather gets colder.:D

So toilet seats are winter things? :D I find it cold sitting on a toilet without a seat in any weather. I'm always afraid I'm gonna fall in :o
    Forum Member
    There's TWO Homebase stores in oxford...ludicrous,
    B&Q had one and closed that down, nearest one is Abingdon 8 miles away.
    Homebase prices can be expensive..eg , Oven pride oven cleaner £3.99 in Tesco, Wilko.......£6 in Homebase!!!!!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To think, No one really goes in Argos apart from Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Homebase prices can be expensive..eg , Oven pride oven cleaner £3.99 in Tesco, Wilko.......£6 in Homebase!!!!!

Washing line in Homebase: £6.99. Identical washing line in Sainsburys: £2.99.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant :D I never knew toilet seats were seasonal. Wonder what season is toilet seat season?

The toilet seat season might depend on what it's made from, eg summer for plastic and winter for wood.

After all, the grouse and pheasant seasons are different.

I wonder if there's a penalty for obtaining a toilet seat out of season? Is it like poaching?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People use Argos all the time, its the usual place to go if your kettle breaks or you need headphones amongst loads of other stuff, they have a unique business model where you can just go in and type what you want and people bring it to you.
    Forum Member

I went in there over the summer for a new kettle. I had reserved it online. I had to laugh as my order number was 106666 :o:D