The Big Bang Theory - Season 6 - E4 - 15th Nov - 8pm (UK Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    i thought it was pretty funny, the photo shoot in the desert was just great lol
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I just find the scenes with Penny, Amy and Bernadette tedious and badly written. As others have pointed out when you get the scenes with say Sheldon and Penny together, they are just on another level and very very funny.

I know the ratings are high in the USA but if they keep concentrating on the female characters it will just be a turn off for a lot of people who liked the early shows.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I dont see that as weird though. I dont know how long in big bang years its been around but when she first moved there she was a party girl with lots of friends and wanted to be an actress. She seems to have grown up and settled down now so its not unreasonable that she wouldnt be out partying all the time anymore. Most of her friends have probably married and had kids in the past 4 or 5 years so there might not be that much partying anymore.

But Penny is basically still in the same position as when she first moved in.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,137
    Forum Member
    It's still doing decent business for E4 - 2.44m viewers including those watching on +1 so that's roughly 10% of the 20m+ audience who watched this one in America.

Good episode last night.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this show is now like a geeky version of Friends with 6 Ross characters and 1 Phoebe :p
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    It's still doing decent business for E4 - 2.44m viewers including those watching on +1 so that's roughly 10% of the 20m+ audience who watched this one in America.

Good episode last night.
    well the shows always been great its just a few who like to moan its getter better ratings now then it ever did before which is great:)
    Forum Member
    I like how they brought back the nerd nature last night :D
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I dont see that as weird though. I dont know how long in big bang years its been around but when she first moved there she was a party girl with lots of friends and wanted to be an actress. She seems to have grown up and settled down now so its not unreasonable that she wouldnt be out partying all the time anymore. Most of her friends have probably married and had kids in the past 4 or 5 years so there might not be that much partying anymore.
    My take is darker. I think she ran out of money. Her acting career failed and she is stuck in apartment she can't afford. The rent on her place is surely similar to Leonard's, but she has no-one to share it with, and as a waitress she probably gets paid less than a physicist. We've had several episodes where she seemed short of money.

So that meant she couldn't maintain the party-girl life-style. Her friends dropped her because she was no longer glamorous; or she may have dropped them because she couldn't keep up with them. She's far from the town she grew up in, so doesn't have much support from relatives and childhood friends. She's tried dating jocks again, but it didn't work (because she can now see how unintelligent they are). She's not so much settled down, as settled. She stays with Leonard because he's easy. She puts up with his friends because she has nothing else. She has occasional bouts of ambition but they never amount to much. Her life isn't going anywhere.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    My take is darker. I think she ran out of money. Her acting career failed and she is stuck in apartment she can't afford. The rent on her place is surely similar to Leonard's, but she has no-one to share it with, and as a waitress she probably gets paid less than a physicist. We've had several episodes where she seemed short of money.

So that meant she couldn't maintain the party-girl life-style. Her friends dropped her because she was no longer glamorous; or she may have dropped them because she couldn't keep up with them. She's far from the town she grew up in, so doesn't have much support from relatives and childhood friends. She's tried dating jocks again, but it didn't work (because she can now see how unintelligent they are). She's not so much settled down, as settled. She stays with Leonard because he's easy. She puts up with his friends because she has nothing else. She has occasional bouts of ambition but they never amount to much. Her life isn't going anywhere.

I think the writers just decided to bring in more female characters and for the ease of writing put them most of the time in Penny's flat.

Like I say, I really don't care much for Amy or Bernadette, they were OK as in the background and occasional characters, but to me they just get in the way of the main point of the show.

When Leonard was dating Raj's sister they were the worst episodes going, it totally detracted from the show and I was glad when they got rid of her.

Far too often now it's about the female characters and I find that dull.

I was watching some of the older episodes last night and couldn't stop laughing, like the one where Sheldon 'trains' Penny in good behaviour by rewarding her with chocolates and the episode where Raj gets to work FOR Sheldon.

I couldn't stop laughing through those and it made me realise how few laughs you get from season 6 episodes.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can Johnny Galecki please get a haircut at some point during this season?!

That weird curly mullet thing he's got going on at the moment makes him look fat.

Plus, while we all know that Penny is meant to be out of Leonard's league, the silly haircut he's got going on at the moment makes their relationship totally unbelievable for me.

In previous seasons you could perfectly imagine Penny thinking Leonard was handsome or cute. In this season, with his awful haircut and how fat it makes him look there's absolutely no way she would date him.

I mean, his hair looks worse than Howard's at the moment. And that's really saying something!
    Forum Member
    Raj seems to always come out with the best lines.

First it was "We both had these holes in our lives, but now we fill each other's holes" - and a few weeks ago it was "I'm gonna sneak up behind him, whip out my wand, and shoot my magic all over his ass".

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Raj seems to always come out with the best lines.

First it was "We both had these holes in our lives, but now we fill each other's holes" - and a few weeks ago it was "I'm gonna sneak up behind him, whip out my wand, and shoot my magic all over his ass".

:D:D:D

Or when Sheldon was talking about Raj being his new room mate to Penny and referenced 'homo erectus'. Raj said "I'm the new homo'

Cracked me up
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Great lines, although the whole "is he or isn't he" bit is getting old. If they're going to make him gay then just do it already!
  • HorizonPeteHorizonPete Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    redtux wrote: »
    Tonights episode was absolutely horrendous. If it hadn't jumped the shark before it definitely did tonight

Where to start

1. Penny has at least respected the boys appreciatiation of comics since at least season 3
    2. Penny has been a regular visit to the comic shop so would not get that reaction
    3. The boys being in ST costumes just would not the reaction depicted in any vaguely normal place. So called normal people may not be into comics/sci-fi as much, but would definitey be aware of the characters , if only due the mainstream success of multiple films
    4. Where they stopped was the scene of several episodes so the locals would not have such sights as that wierd

It was just offensive. Obviously the writers no longer care about the original fan-base and are just interested in pandering to the the prejudices of the lowest common denominator

In contrast in HIMYM, the writers treat the mail characters, who are just as geeky in their own way, with respect

Each to their own opinion. I think this far outweighs HIMYM in quality; that very quickly relied on stupidity and outlandishness making it rather boring. After the first season it tried too hard to be a new "Friends" and at the same time not being "Friends". Anyway just my opinion.

Points 1 & 2: I think Penny has appreciated the guy interest in comics but never really understood it so her actually getting into it was a nice touch. Plus the reaction the girls got in the comic book store is what would have happened. While Penny has been a couple of times it was either with the guys or in the one episode where no-one else (except Stuart obviously) was there.

Point 3: As for the guys walking into the diner, that's the reaction I think most people would have as it's not exactly the everyday occurrence. The cop's stereotype about phoning their mum's was a bit forced.

Point 4: It's a tv show they recycle the sets to save money.
  • HorizonPeteHorizonPete Posts: 181
    Forum Member

Her apartment appears to be lot smaller - it's got one bedroom as opposed to two - the Sheldon and Leonard's so that probably means the rent is a bit lower.

As for her friends I think she's still in touch with some of them, probably not Kurt though :D, as we saw from the episode where Raj dates the deaf woman she has friends in spin class. I think she prefers hanging out with the guys and has probably come to realise that there's more to life than just partying and really likes them despite their quirks.

They do seem to have dropped the acting element of Penny's story for now. I assume she still is auditioning but they don't mention it, more focussing on the relationships now.

Rodney Mckay, I agree about the Leonard/Priya episodes. Didn't like her or the way they played out. I also don't like Amy, Bernadette's not too bad - although the inferences about her being similar to Howard's mother seem a bit forced at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member

I always put this down to the Friends rule. We don't try and logically work out how these people afford their apartments. Especially in Friends. I think Penny's place will be cheaper though. It's obviously smaller and only has one bedroom.
    ^Great lines, although the whole "is he or isn't he" bit is getting old. If they're going to make him gay then just do it already!

I used to think like that, but now I just see him as a straight person who doesn't realise what half the things he says sound like. Much like Phil in Modern Family :D

Anyone see the picture of
    Leonard Nimoy
    on set with Jim Parsons? I've been wanting a cameo from him since the show started, not including the
    action figure cameo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, does nobody else find Johnny Galecki/Leonard's appalling haircut off-putting?

They just had a scene where Leonard and Sheldon are having an argument at Penny's door and in the shots from behind Johnny Galecki his curly mullet was almost touching his t-shirt collar.

It is basically a mullet. It's appalling!

It's like the period in Friends where Matthew Perry/Chandler got really fat and you had to pretend that it wasn't really weird and unusual.

Somebody please tell me he gets a haircut later in the season and that I'm not the only one who thinks he looks ridiculous?!

I seriously struggle to enjoy the show when we've got this glaring anomaly detracting from the comedy.
    Forum Member
    'You crazy bastard' - I thought they wouldn't get away with that before the watershed? :D

But overall, a good episode.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Seriously, does nobody else find Johnny Galecki/Leonard's appalling haircut off-putting?

They just had a scene where Leonard and Sheldon are having an argument at Penny's door and in the shots from behind Johnny Galecki his curly mullet was almost touching his t-shirt collar.

It's like the period in Friends where Matthew Perry/Chandler got really fat and you had to pretend that it wasn't really weird and unusual.

Somebody please tell me he gets a haircut later in the season and that I'm not the only one who thinks he looks ridiculous?!

I seriously struggle to enjoy the show when we've got this glaring anomaly detracting from the comedy.

His hair is ridiculous, isn't it?

Although I do find him the more annoying than funny thesedays tbh

Loved Raj being "adopted" by Mrs W:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    His hair is ridiculous, isn't it?

Although I do find him the more annoying than funny thesedays tbh

Loved Raj being "adopted" by Mrs W:D

I just don't understand why the people making the show have not just cut his hair. It is so odd and awkward and even undermines the credibility of his relationship with Penny in my opinion.

And, yeah, I find Leonard too whiny these days too.

I actually think all of the guys have lost something now that they've got girlfriends. Instead of them bouncing off each other constantly and occasionally third parties, they're now tied to Penny, Bernadette and Amy instead.

And the girls also come into their own bouncing off each other, rather than the guys, too (the episode where Amy bought Penny the painting of the two of them has some great moments between the girls).

Now that they're all coupled off and the writers are trying to introduce relationship drama into the show it's lost something.

Which is why Sheldon is at his best when not with Amy and Raj, Stuart and even Barry Kripke get some of the best comedy moments/lines these days.
    Forum Member
    Funniest scenes are still between Sheldon and Penny.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Ok

What is Penny's surname? :)

If it is unknown, can I give her one (name that is). ;)
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Ok

What is Penny's surname? :)

If it is unknown, can I give her one (name that is). ;)

Her surname has not been revealed...yet so yes you can give her one (just you will need to join the queue!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »

Matthew Perry got 'really fat'? He put on weight around S7 (I think after he stopped taking drugs), but he wasn't that big :confused:

I don't think any of the actors in TBBT have brilliant hair. Doesn't really bother me though.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really get why they showed glimpses of Howard's mother, they have went this long not doing it, so I don't get why they did it now when it wasn't even necessary. I liked it better when she was left to your imagination.

It's not a big deal or anything, I just liked it better never seeing her.