TV or Cinema?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Cinema, because we don't know if there's going to be another chance to watch Doctor Who on the big screen and I like the novelty of it. Besides, I went to a Harry Potter Preview screening (I won the tickets) for the last movie, and it was just brilliant. Everyone was a major fan and feeling the same kind of energy. When I went again to the normal screening it just wasn't the same. I reckon it'll be big fans going to see it in the cinema, especially since you can see it for free from home. So no need to worry about phone-checkers, not like that bothers me anyways.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the hate for cinemas in this thread, I get that it's just an opinion so please don't have a go at me for that, I just don't understand. I usually go to the cinema around 2 times a month and I can't remember having a bad cinema experience in years. It's really not anywhere near as bad as some of you are making out. The thing about the screaming kids as well, I've never experienced that and I watched Despicable Me 2 earlier on in the year and that was one of the biggest kid's film of the year.

Besides, like some people have already said, the room will be full of Doctor Who fans, all wanting to enjoy the special, so I doubt they'll ruin the experience for everyone else.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be going for Cinema as i do not have 3D at home and would love to see it that way also i will be sky plussing it in 2D though for later. i will be going possibly to boldon in sunderland to see it with my brother asuming i can get the tickets fast enough before they run out.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    I will be going for Cinema as i do not have 3D at home and would love to see it that way also i will be sky plussing it in 2D though for later. i will be going possibly to boldon in sunderland to see it with my brother asuming i can get the tickets fast enough before they run out.

if its anything like some of the events Cineworld put on,they will have plans in place if they need to swap screens for bigger ones
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV for me, however if the cinema screenings are repeated I might pop along to experience it on the big screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    With the option now available to view The Day of the Doctor at the cinema, I find meself pondering how I'd rather watch the special.

When the cinema screening were first announced, I figured/hoped that the special would air at some point after the TV airing. Basically, I wanted the best of both worlds. See the special in 2D at home... And then check it out again in 3D afterwards.

Now that's not an option, I have to make a decision. The obvious choice would simply be to attend the cinema screening 'live', and then watch the special again on iplayer afterwards. But at the same time, when I watch the special for the very first time, I want to be able to see it properly. And with 3D, I can't do that. I'm not someone who gets headaches or for whom the 3D doesn't work. I just don't like losing the vibrancy of a movie, losing the colours... which is pretty much inevitable when you're putting on a pair of what are effectively sunglasses to watch a movie. And so far, I've yet to see a 3D movie where the 3D was good enough to compensate for the duller picture.

Funnily enough, the only 3D I've ever been really impressed by, that really felt like proper 3D was at the Doctor Who experience, back when it was at Earl's Court. I guess cos it was a smaller screen, and I was at the front, but the little movie they showed there (some time vortexy thing, if I remember rightly) was the one time it's been like the images were really leaping from the screen.

But then on the other hand, watching the special with a bunch other fans and having the experience of seeing Who on a big screen, that's obviously tempting too.

Decisions, decisions.

So what are everyone else's plans? Presuming you're somewhere where you have the option to view a cinema screening, will you be trying to get tickets? Or will you be watching it the same way everyone did back in 1963?

Finally buying that expensive 3d tv is going to pay off!
    Got to be home I am afraid, mostly to do with my hatred of the general public in a cinema setting but also so that I can use my 3d tv to full effect.

I have already practically given up on cinema as I cant be doing with parents who bring their underage kids to watch a movie but spend there time talking to them or hearing these little darlings scream their heads off!
    Really dont want to risk me having a moment in front of the annoying kids while trying to watch something that iv been looking forward to all year.(come on, I cant be the only one...probably!)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After much consideration I decided to watch on TV. I can fart like a trooper at home and dribble down my shirt, as I like to do. I can also sit around in my underwear and have a halftime ball juggle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I don't understand the hate for cinemas in this thread, I get that it's just an opinion so please don't have a go at me for that, I just don't understand. I usually go to the cinema around 2 times a month and I can't remember having a bad cinema experience in years. It's really not anywhere near as bad as some of you are making out. The thing about the screaming kids as well, I've never experienced that and I watched Despicable Me 2 earlier on in the year and that was one of the biggest kid's film of the year.

Besides, like some people have already said, the room will be full of Doctor Who fans, all wanting to enjoy the special, so I doubt they'll ruin the experience for everyone else.

Your really lucky then, every time I have been to the cinema in the last few years its either screaming kids or teenagers / older people messing around on their mobile phones dueing the film.

Dont get me started on the teenage girls / buys constantly talking and asking questions throught the film or the constant coughing!

During the 007 Skyfall film I saw a guy lose his temper at these two girls who didnt shut up throughout the entrie film and when these girls father/uncle (who were in the back row apart for the girls) took offence the guy compleatly lost it and smacked him one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BenRielly wrote: »
    For me it's not the 2D vs. 3D issues (2D every time - Can't stand the gimmicky 3D stuff) but the fact that if I go the cinema to watch, there's a very strong chance that there will be other people there.

Other people who have forgotten how to site down and shut up without narrating the whole thing, or checking their 'phones the whole time.

Not to mention the fact that there will be children there. Parents will take their kids along because they're such big Doctor Who fans! These same children who will get bored whenever there's any kind of exposition or slowing of the Doctor's wacky antics.

I'm sorry to go on but I really want to get the best enjoyment out of the show without the tension of other people perhaps not behaving as I would like. I know it's not for me to dictate how other people act and so, to avoid the possibility of my enjoyment being spoiled, I shall stay at home and watch it on TV.

After unplugging the 'phone.

Amen!
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    After much consideration I decided to watch on TV. I can fart like a trooper at home and dribble down my shirt, as I like to do. I can also sit around in my underwear and have a halftime ball juggle.

That's not a description I wanted to read... :eek:
    Anyway, enjoy your smelly dribbly and scratchy time, solenoid! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here,seems we go to cinemas that don't deal in animals
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im surprised you ever leave your cave on your island except to harangue passers by,lol

at the end of the day Cinema is a shared experience,if people are breaking the rules go outside and see the manager or workers,they will come in and stop them or chuck them out,simples

But the point is that your going out to watch a film and enjoy a collective experience.

Is it that hard to go 90mins plus without checking your phone or talking?
    Its become acceptable to be as ill mannered and disrespectful as you like and not give a toss that other people are there to simply watch the film.

Have you ever tried to complain to management?
    These people are too busy trying to sell their over priced food and drinks to give a damn and why should I miss out on part the film because of these mouth breathers.

There is no chance I'm going to ruin this experience in a crowded room with a bunch of loud/annoying/screaming kids all because mommy and daddy want to treat the kids!
    Hey, How about you treat the rest of humanity and leave the kids at home until they are old enough to understand!

I feel that this is the exact reason why cinema is dying thanks to these half breeds. (half moron / half idiot!)

Yeah but other than that, really looking forward to the event, should be fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure you lot don't go to the local Zoo instead of the cinema,in all my cinemagoing life ive never had anyone kick a seat even in family films

Are you from one of those small villages where your the only one in the cinema or do you go at some really obscure time of the day?

Your so lucky not to have had the experiences that the majority of cinema goers have had/have to put up with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you from one of those small villages where your the only one in the cinema or do you go at some really obscure time of the day?

Your so lucky not to have had the experiences that the majority of cinema goers have had/have to put up with.

no i go to a cinema that has decent staff who deal with problems straight away
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i go to a cinema that has decent staff who deal with problems straight away

How would they know if someone's knees are resting on the back of your chair and annoying you? :confused:

I've been to lots of cinemas over the years and there has never been any member of staff standing there looking out for trouble/problems like there used to be many years ago.

If I'm watching a film I don't see why I should get up and miss 5 minutes of the film to complain. My protest to all these multiplex cinemas is to simply not go. I think a lot people feel the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would they know if someone's knees are resting on the back of your chair and annoying you? :confused:

I've been to lots of cinemas over the years and there has never been any member of staff standing there looking out for trouble/problems like there used to be many years ago.

If I'm watching a film I don't see why I should get up and miss 5 minutes of the film to complain. My protest to all these multiplex cinemas is to simply not go. I think a lot people feel the same.

because people tend to get up and go and complain,and they have people checking the screens

and the reason people should get up and complain is things will never change unless we cinemagoers do something about it and stop putting up with it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im totally with you, if the staff were doing their jobs properly thee people would behave better.
    Instead they are more concerned with "catching pirates".

The best protest is to simply stop going and enjoy the experience at home or go to the cinemas that have limited seats and are adults only but those tickets are considerably more expensive.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Theres no way id go see this in the cinema, too many idiots out messing around with phones and throwing stuff at each other.

I rarely go to the cinema nowadays, only when their is a visual effects spectacular i really need to see, most of the time i wait for the blu ray.

I dont have a 3D TV (wish i had though), but i will get the Blu ray, and when i get a 3D-TV i will get it in 3D.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to the cinema once a blue moon only to see something I really want to see. Definitely not for something that is on my own telly at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Theres no way id go see this in the cinema, too many idiots out messing around with phones and throwing stuff at each other.

I rarely go to the cinema nowadays, only when their is a visual effects spectacular i really need to see, most of the time i wait for the blu ray.

I dont have a 3D TV (wish i had though), but i will get the Blu ray, and when i get a 3D-TV i will get it in 3D.

Iv got a really good LG 3D smart tv and trust me when I say your not missing anything.
    I dont use it often, just on the 3d movies like Avengers but will use it for the 50th.

I would highly recommend to anyone buying a new tv to get a OLED tv over a LCD as the screen is amazing.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, this doesn't seem right to me. I don't know whether it's because the cinema I go to is managed very well or something. Like I said, I go all the time, hardly ever get little kids in there unless it's a big film targeted at children and even when they are they're normally pretty well behaved. I'm a teenager, me and my friends go to watch films and we do our best to not to be disrespectful and whenever I see other teens there or people from my school, I never catch them ruining a movie. A cinema auditorium should be treated the way a library is, in my opinion.

I know, and don't tell me it's not true, that many people have a horrible idea what young people are really like, but we aren't all disrespectful little kids who think we can do what ever we want with no consequences. Going to the cinema seems to be a massive thing for this generation and most people I know seem to take it very seriously, besides they're just wasting their own money by ruining a film and I don't know anyone who likes wasting money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, this doesn't seem right to me. I don't know whether it's because the cinema I go to is managed very well or something. Like I said, I go all the time, hardly ever get little kids in there unless it's a big film targeted at children and even when they are they're normally pretty well behaved. I'm a teenager, me and my friends go to watch films and we do our best to not to be disrespectful and whenever I see other teens there or people from my school, I never catch them ruining a movie. A cinema auditorium should be treated the way a library is, in my opinion.

I know, and don't tell me it's not true, that many people have a horrible idea what young people are really like, but we aren't all disrespectful little kids who think we can do what ever we want with no consequences. Going to the cinema seems to be a massive thing for this generation and most people I know seem to take it very seriously, besides they're just wasting their own money by ruining a film and I don't know anyone who likes wasting money.

I am certainly not blaiming all teenagers for behaving like this but there are the groups that do seem to make it their mission to be as big an @sshole as possible.

I really think that cinemas should be a good shared experience and would love it if all Whovians got together to take over a cinema for a showing of the 50th episode.

We are all sounding really down (me included) over kids / parents/ teenagers / groups / etc who go to the cinema and I know that there are some people included in those groups are really good and are there to watch the film and not bother anyone else but there are those who dont care about anyone elses enjoyment other than their own.

For me unless its something really special then I will avoid the Cinema like the plague.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I don't go to the cinema very often these days but, I must admit, I've not really had any problems with distractions from other people. Maybe because I rarely go when the film is just out but much later on in the run when there are fewer people. Plus the films I see are almost always rated 12 or above so you never get the really young kids.

Of course neither of those conditions would be the case at these Doctor Who screenings!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    There are two sides to this though - those who do things that are distracting, and those who are distracted by it.
    I used to date a girl who would get really worked up by even the smallest giggles four rows down. It used to annoy her intensely. However, I would never have noticed if she didn't bring my attention to it, and her obvious discomfort and unhappiness would distract me.

Maybe it's not a difference in how well-managed the cinema is, but how easily you are distracted by other people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You won't be able to hide behind your seat in the cinema :D