Options

Do you believe in God? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I always thought Mary Tamm as Romana had the real x factor in Doctor Who but I didn't like to say in his thread. Trouble is we're surrounded by believers. Good job we're anonymous else we'd be on the bonfire....:D

Now that is sad; I did not realise she died a couple of years ago in her early sixties.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will find out soon enough you if I have my way you heathen scum! >:(>:(>:(

If you were raised Catholic I am afraid, very afraid!:o

It's like WW3 on GD tonight! :D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    If you were raised Catholic I am afraid, very afraid!:o

It's like WW3 on GD tonight! :D

Just call me Tomás de Torquemada. :D

I have posted a couple of times in the 'WW3' thread - I knew old Enoch would be a very 'popular' topic when I saw it! ;-)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just call me Tomás de Torquemada. :D

I have posted a couple of times in the 'WW3' thread - I knew old Enoch would be a very 'popular' topic when I saw it! ;-)

I've got me gas mask on and rations at the ready. No I'm not sharing my spam with anyone.:kitty:
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god seems to have run out of steam but will be back with a full tank for part 3 ........

" ........ god is dead ......... long live god ..........."

(Godspell. David Essex in a purple boiler suit.)
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I've had a long break from the forums, and was surprised to not see this thread on the front page!

That must be remedied :D

How are we all doing?
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a long break from the forums, and was surprised to not see this thread on the front page!

That must be remedied :D

How are we all doing?

I must say, it's been a while since I checked up on this thread.

I'm lordOfTime and I still believe in God. :D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

It's not likely he'd have had one is it? He'd certainly not have looked like how most pictures and films portray him.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such confusion, now shall i believe this is an accurate representation, or the Shroud of Turin??? What to dooooo, what to dooooo.

Oh wait.... :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hey god is back ......

"i never went away, oh ye of little faith"
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooohh!

Welcome back everybody.

I was thinking about this thread the other day but I couldn't think of anything to say to bump it. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Ooohh!

Welcome back everybody.

I was thinking about this thread the other day but I couldn't think of anything to say to bump it. :p

:D I'm sure given time you would've come up with something good.

Not as good as "Beard Or No Beard" though. I'm envisioning Noel Edmonds presenting this portion of the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such confusion, now shall i believe this is an accurate representation, or the Shroud of Turin??? What to dooooo, what to dooooo.

wot not like jeffrey hunter ? i always thought micheal rennie would have made a better jesus but instead he was pontious pilate ......

..... beards is the thing. cant see the face behind the beard so it might as well be grace kelly .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    wot not like jeffrey hunter ? i always thought micheal rennie would have made a better jesus but instead he was pontious pilate ......

..... beards is the thing. cant see the face behind the beard so it might as well be grace kelly .....

I'm not sure that personal grooming was all Bic razors and Old Spice aftershave in 1st century Palestine.

Although the smell of Old Spice is like it was bottled (incorrectly) that long ago. :p
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He grew a beard for his crucifixion?

Then again, if one of the figures depicted on the dish is St Paul then it's an idealised image depicting a scene that could only have happened in Heaven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Ooohh!

Welcome back everybody.

Welcome back Netty :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then again, if one of the figures depicted on the dish is St Paul then it's an idealised image depicting a scene that could only have happened in Heaven.

Good point.

I gave up thinking at "It was probably Romanised to make it appealing to that audience". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I'm sure given time you would've come up with something good.

Not as good as "Beard Or No Beard" though. I'm envisioning Noel Edmonds presenting this portion of the thread.

Ahh, I love that glass plate. It's beautiful. I don't know if it might be one of the earliest examples of a paten known to us?

There's quite a few artistic depictions of Jesus through the ages without a beard. See below for some examples:

http://www.religionfacts.com/jesus/image_gallery.htm

Even during the Renaissance period artists such as Raphael and Caravaggio would paint Jesus both with and without a beard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Welcome back Netty :D

Hello LOT. :D

Hope you are well. :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah this old thread... it has been quite a while, but welcome back. :)

Still don't believe in God though, I'm afraid. Sorry. :D
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i always thought micheal rennie would have made a better jesus.

Well he did play SciFi Jesus once. Klaatu barada nikto!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just came across this book which may be of interest on 'why people believe'

Why People Believe in Spirits, God and Magi. Jack Hunter
    This e-book explores the question of why and how people come to believe in spirits, gods and magic from a social anthropological perspective. Covering topics such asShamanism & Spirit Possession, Witchcraft & Magic, Ghosts, Spirits, Gods & Demons, Ethnography & the Paranormal andAnthropology & Parapsychology, this e-book provides an overview of supernatural traditions and practices around the world. The author also explores anthropological interpretations of supernatural and spiritual experiences, including the paranormal experiences of anthropologists themselves, while engaged in fieldwork
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Just came across this book which may be of interest on 'why people believe'

Why People Believe in Spirits, God and Magi. Jack Hunter

Honestly Kim I have no idea how I came to be interested in the paranormal and spiritual experiences.

I wonder if that book could tell me.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ That sort of thing (uncalled for sarcasm (yes, it is) in response to a genuine provision of information for anyone interested (the book is of interest to both 'sides') is partly why I don't much bother with these threads anymore). It's not just the religious who are put off by some of the participants.