Options

Aldi Snobs

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Germany last week and they have enough big supermarkets and hypermarkets. I was in a large hypermarket called Globus, which sells nearly everything from clothes to some electrical goods (except computers and TVs and other big appliances) to toys to food. I would say it's similar to Sainsburys. There's also real, which is the German equivalent of Asda I guess. I was also in Lidl over there and some smaller supermarkets. A lot of the supermarkets have bakeries in them (which also double as coffee shops) and the bigger ones had a butchers in it. The hypermarket even had a fishmonger and cheesemonger! What they don't have as much of in Germany are convenience stores or corner shops.

Globus is considered more of a department store than a supermarket though, and you may be surprised they have less than 50 branches across the whole of Germany! So not a widespread store by any means.

Real supermarkets however can be found all over Germany
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Globus is considered more of a department store than a supermarket though, and you may be surprised they have less than 50 branches across the whole of Germany! So not a widespread store by any means.

Real supermarkets however can be found all over Germany

Yeah but they sell food as well as other stuff, so in a way they're more like Dunnes Stores here in Ireland (who sell household goods and clothes as well as food). I was in the Moselle (where they make the wine) and they had a couple of branches there, but maybe it's more common in the Moselle/Rhineland area. I've been in loads of Real stores all over the country. They used to be good but I thought they had gone to pot recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but they sell food as well as other stuff, so in a way they're more like Dunnes Stores here in Ireland (who sell household goods and clothes as well as food). I was in the Moselle (where they make the wine) and they had a couple of branches there, but maybe it's more common in the Moselle/Rhineland area. I've been in loads of Real stores all over the country. They used to be good but I thought they had gone to pot recently.

Ah yes, Globus could well be compared to Dunnes Stores :)

They have their head office in the Saarland so are quite common in the area you were in. I think they have a DIY store chain and a few stores in Russia too!

If you're not fond of Real, try a Kaufland. They have fresh food counters too but are a little bit cheaper!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have an Aldi round here and there's quite a few people gets in there. Sometimes our food comes from Aldi.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't shop in Aldi but only because there's none nearby. I wouldn't have any issues shopping in Lidl in town if it was easier got to either.

Brands don't matter to me. Except Heinz ketchup and Coca Cola.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Aldi is being built across the road from me - I'm getting excited & can't wait for it to open.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Aldi is being built across the road from me - I'm getting excited & can't wait for it to open.

Blimey, you need to get out more ;)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, Globus could well be compared to Dunnes Stores :)

They have their head office in the Saarland so are quite common in the area you were in. I think they have a DIY store chain and a few stores in Russia too!

If you're not fond of Real, try a Kaufland. They have fresh food counters too but are a little bit cheaper!

True :p They have a DIY store chain but I wasn't in that last time. Maybe next time I go there I'll go in and have a look. I was in it once a few years ago. There weren't any Kaufland stores in the area I was in but I've been in them in the past. They're not bad. I do a lot of clothes (and some food!) shopping in Germany and I go on average twice or three times a year if I can.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once went in the Aldi across the road from Edgbaston Cricket ground during the innings break. To be honest, the store looked like a mess.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand store snobbery, whether it's people thinking it's daft NOT to shop at Aldi or people looking down on those out for a bargain. It's just food, there's a place for all the shops as far as I'm concerned, they provide jobs so that's a good thing.

I shop around for my monthly groceries. Iceland, ASDA, and Aldi mainly. I have nothing against Tesco and M&S but they're not close to me and as I don't drive, I hardly ever go there. I have been in M&S but it's a bit pricey for me. If I lived in a neighborhood where Morrison's was the closest store, I'd likely get most of my groceries there.

Things I love about Aldi: wholemeal bread for 55p that tastes great, Greek yogurt, sardines, nuts and seeds, frozen berries/mango/pineapple for smoothies, multi-packs of crisps (30 for £2.59) which are great for school lunches. There are other things I buy there too, their fruit and veg is good value for money. Last week I bought a 4-pack of giant spring rolls for 89p, bargain. :)
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    I'm a snob who shops at Aldi. I can't understand the knobheads who shop at M&S, Waitrose or even Tesco.

They think they are superior because they are chucking their money away? Silly sods.

I get 'some' shopping at Aldi and find them excellent for lower prices - However for prepared main meals its Waitrose and M&S for me, both having the far wider choice of good quality meals, especially if Vegi like me. .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once went in the Aldi across the road from Edgbaston Cricket ground during the innings break. To be honest, the store looked like a mess.

I liked that one!
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an Aldi near enough to me to make it worth shopping there, however I do shop at Lidl when I have enough time spare for the queues.

I also shop at M&S and Waitrose, they often have great offers on and do fab end of the day reductions.

I just generally shop around at a mix of supermarkets, butchers & markets to get the best prices and best quality I can on everything I need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got some good schnitzel and bratwurst from Aldi the other week (my first ever trip) and some monster munch alternatives that were really decent!!
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Massive one just opened in Fazakerley Liverpool. They knocked two houses down to accommodate the trolley bay
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    Are you one?

Do you still think Heinz beans or Ketchup taste better? :D

Aldi don't stock Heinz!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is, Iceland fulled the lower classes for decades & most people turned there noses up at them and still do, yet aldi & lidil pop up & the upper classes love it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest though there's a BIG difference in the quality of Aldi/Lidl food and Iceland food
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the continental meat and cheese selection was Aldi/Lidl's way into the more middle class market. That and upmarket wines at bargin prices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think the continental meat and cheese selection was Aldi/Lidl's way into the more middle class market. That and upmarket wines at bargin prices.

I find Aldi's continental meat & cheese much superior to anything you find in the other supermarkets and M&S and at fraction of the cost.The wine selection is good quality too.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    I'm a snob who shops at Aldi. I can't understand the knobheads who shop at M&S, Waitrose or even Tesco.

They think they are superior because they are chucking their money away? Silly sods.
    Or they just prefer M +S, Waitrose and Tesco and couldn't really care less what other people think.
  • Options
    BPL2011BPL2011 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I'm an ALDI snob. Have been twice, terrible shop. Will only shop at Booths and Waitrose.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    German food is top quality, just like anything 'Made in Germany'

Here speaks someone who has obviously never had a currywurst at a Schnell Imbiss.

German food is, in the main, dire. It's like British food 4 decades ago. Every country has it's strong and weak points - we all know what the Germans do well (which is a lot), but food is not one of them.

Yes, I am a snob. I don't go in Aldi because:

a) They are not pleasant places
    b) I have no desire or need to visit a separate supermarket to find the odd thing a few pence cheaper
    c) My business supplies shopfitters, and their spartan shopping factories are very bad news for the industry
    d) One has to rub shoulders with the lower orders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Here speaks someone who has obviously never had a currywurst at a Schnell Imbiss.

German food is, in the main, dire. It's like British food 4 decades ago. Every country has it's strong and weak points - we all know what the Germans do well (which is a lot), but food is not one of them.

You eat at a Schnellimbiss, you get what you pay for :p

I've lived in Germany and loved the quality of the meats and the freshness and variety of the bread and cakes. German food is not French cuisine. It's richer, heartier and more plentiful. It's plain, yes, but not everyone likes fancy stuff all the time.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of German wine. Do either Aldi or Lidl possess a good range?