Options

White Knight kitchen appliances

SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone have any experience of White Knight products? Never heard of them until yesterday and their reviews on Amazon are amazing. Looking to buy a New tumble dryer.

Comments

• Options
    marlomarlo Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    I had one of their tumble driers for years (probably 10 years or so) and it was superb.

I only changed it cos I needed a bigger one:)
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White Knight (company is Crosslee) used to be Philips tumble dryer factory until they sold it off when selling the rest of their white goods operation to Whirlpool. The managers of the factory bought it and kept on making dryers.
    They make a lot of dryers for other makes. Many Zanussi, Bosch, Tricity etc dryers are made by White Knight. They also make the bug Hostess trollies that keep food warm.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of White Knight products? Never heard of them until yesterday and their reviews on Amazon are amazing. Looking to buy a New tumble dryer.

Buying a White Knight dryer next week had one before and would definitely recommend these dryers.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought one 24 years ago and it lasted 18 years lol
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    White Knight (company is Crosslee) used to be Philips tumble dryer factory until they sold it off when selling the rest of their white goods operation to Whirlpool. The managers of the factory bought it and kept on making dryers.
    They make a lot of dryers for other makes. Many Zanussi, Bosch, Tricity etc dryers are made by White Knight. They also make the bug Hostess trollies that keep food warm.

That should be big Hostess trolleys..... Stupid autocorrect....
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a white knight tumble dryer...

It's actually our 2nd one, the first one was broken straight out the box....it rattled badly when switched on. They replaced it straight away with the one we have now, and it's been going perfect for many years now (must be nearly 10 years). This is a condenser dryer, the steam is turned back into water and collects in an internal water container which u just empty when the light comes on.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have one of their tumble dryers. It has now been in use for 13 years and still going strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
  • Options
    AscottAscott Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    My old one lasted around 20 years, the one I have now is at least 15 years old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a tumble dryer and it brilliant.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    We had one of their tumble dryers and it lasted something like 10+ years (although at about 6 years we did have to replace the element, which cost all of about £15, as it fitted dozens of models).
    I think the one before that was another white knight and lasted years as well.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a white knight gas tumble dryer it's amazingly quick and cheap to run about 10 years old and great
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got 4 of the little cheap ones in the family (that I know of, could be more) of varying ages that are slightly different looking but essentially the same.

Excellent value for money, and the only failure was on one where something got trapped in the door, jammed the drum and snapped the belt so not the dryer's fault. One cheap belt later and it's fine. They're very simple machines inside so not much to go wrong. (The vented ones anyway - the condensers will be a bit more complex)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had one.
    But not for long.
    It just disappeared one day along with one of our horses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had one.
    But not for long.
    It just disappeared one day along with one of our horses.

Was that a clothes horse!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Was that a clothes horse!
    No, it was a Champion.
  • Options
    jobbie8jobbie8 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On our second White Knight dryer. First one lasted 18 years, got it when my son was born.
    It stopped working last year so we went straight for another White Knight and hope for another 18 years
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an old tumble dryer, it was second hand when I bought it and I've had it a while, still going well! Not sure how energy efficient or anything it is but it dries a load relatively quickly. It's a tube one.
  • Options
    Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/09/17 - 22:00 #19
    I have had a White Knight tumble drier in the house for years and it is very reliable, very simple controls and simple to use and operate and basically does what it is supposed to very well - which is to dry clothes.

However, my mum has decided (after all its faithfull hard working years) to chuck it out and replace it with one of those "dri buddies" by JML, after reading an argos catalogue and watching one video on youtube about it about the hassles of clothes horses csusing clutter etc(which was an infomercial from JML btw).

This is it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3w3_nZdjTw

She is chucking it out for a dri budfy even though it is still working absolutely fine....

What a fool.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/09/17 - 23:30 #20
    The White Knights I have had to repair are at least 12- 15 years old before I'm called in.

Reliable dryers.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Spouthouse wrote: »

My parents had one, badged "Electra" (an own-brand used by various Electricty Boards) that was dumped in 2012 after 40 years service. Replaced immediately with another White Knight.

If I had a gas supply in my utility room, I'd definitely buy one of the gas models.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine must be at least 10 years old and still going strong.
  • Options
    Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/09/17 - 18:43 #23
    Can't believe it my mum has chucked her white knight dryer out of her house in the pouring rain after god knows how many years of useful service. To replace it with a dri buddy from JML...

It has been a part of the household since as long as I've been alive and still working perfectly fine yet apparently it "has to go" as it has "ruined the clothes". By that I mean it probably shrunk a pair of jeans once and that was it.. And because of that now after all those years it has been confined to the outdoors.

Couldn't believe it....

She even called me round to help her put it outside and to set up this dri buddy thing. When I was trying to help her set it up, apparently I leaned on it and "broke it" and she told me to go home while she tries to set it up herself. Needless to say when I left her she was in a bit of a huff.
  • Options
    milo1milo1 Posts: 6,079
    Forum Member
    I have a White Knight spin dryer, it spins at double the speed of a washing machine spinner leaving clothes nearly dry
  • Options
    milo1milo1 Posts: 6,079
    Forum Member
    I have had a White Knight tumble drier in the house for years and it is very reliable, very simple controls and simple to use and operate and basically does what it is supposed to very well - which is to dry clothes.

However, my mum has decided (after all its faithfull hard working years) to chuck it out and replace it with one of those "dri buddies" by JML, after reading an argos catalogue and watching one video on youtube about it about the hassles of clothes horses csusing clutter etc(which was an infomercial from JML btw).

This is it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3w3_nZdjTw

She is chucking it out for a dri budfy even though it is still working absolutely fine....

What a fool.
    The reviews on Amazon of the Dri Buddi aren't great.
    One reviewer said water went on floor. Takes 3 hours to dry a pair of jeans and a day for a whole rack of clothes....
    That's a lot of electricity!