pet shop boys songs that should have been singles

2»

Comments

• Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOSSerr wrote: »
    Shameless !!!!

That's got hit written all over it IMO. And with the world we live in these days full of wannabes I reckon they should re-record it and release it as an A side
    IIRC, in the "Very" Further Listening edition booklet, they say that they did seriously consider "Shameless" as a single, but were scared that if it was a big hit (as it probably would have been), the lyrics would follow them around for the rest of their lives the way that "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money)" did, so they relegated it to a B-side...

I do agree though, and they should film the video in the Big Brother house with the cast of TOWIE for full effect! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Was Losing My Mind released as a single? I saw a video but not sure if it ever got an official release. That song was the business!
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Losing My Mind released as a single? I saw a video but not sure if it ever got an official release. That song was the business!

Liza Minnelli released it in 1989 and it was the most successful version of the song. Neil and Chris remixed their own demo and released as a B-side to the single "Jealousy".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Want to Wake Up - from Actually
    The End of the World - from Behaviour
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I always thought Why Don't We Live Together would have been a better choice than Suburbia.

Also I thought The Theatre, Dreaming Of The Queen or One In A Million would've been better than Liberation.
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadSmiths wrote: »
    May I also add "A New Life"? B side to "what have I done to deserve this". A beauty!

Good choice sir!

I'd say the original Paninaro, The Way It Used to Be, Vampires, It Always Comes as a Surprise, To Speak is a Sin and Here.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positive Role Model

Too Many People
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not scared - from Introspective. (although it was released with a different singer).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    I'm not scared - from Introspective. (although it was released with a different singer).

Patsy Kensit (Eighth Wonder).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    I still remember being hooked on the Very album. It had potential classics on it like A Different Point of View, The Theatre and One in a Million. The actual singles released from it were baffling, to say the least.
  • themcqthemcq Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    IIRC, in the "Very" Further Listening edition booklet, they say that they did seriously consider "Shameless" as a single, but were scared that if it was a big hit (as it probably would have been), the lyrics would follow them around for the rest of their lives the way that "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money)" did, so they relegated it to a B-side...

I do agree though, and they should film the video in the Big Brother house with the cast of TOWIE for full effect! :)

When Big Brother moved to Channel 5 there was a promo of them all dancing outside the house and I immediately thought that shameless should of been playing over it.

Should of been singles : Two divided by zero, one more chance , this must be the place I waited years to leave and requiem in denim and leopard skin from the last album.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember being hooked on the Very album. It had potential classics on it like A Different Point of View, The Theatre and One in a Million. The actual singles released from it were baffling, to say the least.

Agreed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shameless should have been a single, the lyrics are even more true today than when it was written. In The Night should have been released as soon as the BBC used it as the theme to The Clothes Show. - a missed opportunity there.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm loving that nearly everybody who has contributed to this post has suggested a different song. They have so many brilliant songs, and have made some very questionable single choices over the years...

Aside from Integral which I mentioned earlier, I always loved The Theatre, The Way It Used to Be, I Didn't Get Where I Am Today, Miserabalism and After The Event and think they are all very strong single worthy tracks.
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    West End Girls
    Always On My Mind
    Go West

Their best songs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I'm loving that nearly everybody who has contributed to this post has suggested a different song. They have so many brilliant songs, and have made some very questionable single choices over the years...

Aside from Integral which I mentioned earlier, I always loved The Theatre, The Way It Used to Be, I Didn't Get Where I Am Today, Miserabalism and After The Event and think they are all very strong single worthy tracks.

Their songwriting is of such a high quality that they can afford to put a great pop tune as a b-side or even give it to someone else. Who else would have written a song like In Private and not keep it for themselves? As well as songs for Girls Aloud and Eighth Wonder. Every track from Very could have been a single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    used to really like a track from Very - The Theatre, an epic track from a great album.

Pet Shop Boys have done so much for electronic music - trendy or not, you cannot help but admire and respect these guys. Proper music - fact!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Denial
    Pandemonium
    The Way It Used To Be
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    riccom wrote: »
    used to really like a track from Very - The Theatre, an epic track from a great album.

Pet Shop Boys have done so much for electronic music - trendy or not, you cannot help but admire and respect these guys. Proper music - fact!

Yeah I agree that they've done much for electronic music.

And one thing I love about them is that they don't care if they are trendy or young or whether they get chart positions, they let their music speak for itself!
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read years ago that Chris Lowe hates A Different Point of View and refuses to play it live. No idea if it's true. It's one of the PSB's best pop tracks.

The only single from Very which I wouldn't have released was Can You Forgive Her? Would've released A Different Point of View and the original album version of I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing instead of that nasty remix.

The 12" of Go West with the long instrumental intro from Further Listening is still stonking pop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    I read years ago that Chris Lowe hates A Different Point of View and refuses to play it live. No idea if it's true. It's one of the PSB's best pop tracks.

The only single from Very which I wouldn't have released was Can You Forgive Her? Would've released A Different Point of View and the original album version of I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing instead of that nasty remix.

The 12" of Go West with the long instrumental intro from Further Listening is still stonking pop.

I disagree with the CYFH? comment. One of their best singles IMO. But I never liked Liberation nor Yesterday, When I Was Mad and yes, the single remix for IWNDTKOT was/is hideous. And I agree with you regarding the Ming's Gone West Second Movement remix of Go West, it really is something else.
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Kings Cross

Samurai in Autumn
    Two Divided by Zero