Options

Wedding speeches

Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
Forum Member
My friend is getting married. I am an usher. As my longest standing friend I asked if I could make a speech. He said that is fine but best ask the best man. That was fine as we were all old school friends together! My question is how long should I speak for? He is such a dear friend I wanted to make a tribute to him and his wife to be with a few anocdotes. Anyone also made a speech who wasn't a best man or father of the bride? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest that your speech needs to be very short. It's lovely that you want to say something, you obviously care deeply about the groom and his bride, but you need to make sure that your speech isn't going to upstage that of the other principle speakers. The protocol surrounding weddings, receptions, speeches, etc aren't as rigid as they used to be, but make sure you consider your audience. If the bride's father, the groom and the best man are already saying something, try and make it short. Unless you're particularly captivating the guests might get a little speech weary.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your tribute to him and his wife is to be there and give a nice gift.
    To be frank and honest, if there has been a brides father, possibly even a brides's speech, the groom and then the best man, when you get up to share some more anecdotes, people will think its a bit odd and say "Who's this no-mark?"

Maybe ask the best man if you can lead the toast instead?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend is getting married. I am an usher. As my longest standing friend I asked if I could make a speech. He said that is fine but best ask the best man. That was fine as we were all old school friends together! My question is how long should I speak for? He is such a dear friend I wanted to make a tribute to him and his wife to be with a few anocdotes. Anyone also made a speech who wasn't a best man or father of the bride? Thank you.

Pay tribute to him and the bride?

What for?

It's a wedding not a eulogy.

If you want him to know how much you care then perhaps keep it private rather than making it about you.

Perhaps an effusive message in a wedding card would be more appropriate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, what is the point of speeches. He thought it was lovely and thoughtful of me. Each to their own. Thank you for your replies, especially the first response.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He obviously doesn't consider you his dearest friend...otherwise you'd be the best man. :p

Seriously though...keep it very short and consult with the best man...maybe he could ask you to do a sixty second slot as a part of his speech...if you are friends with him as well you could make work quite well.

Unless of course what you really want is a bigger role for yourself...in which case ask to be the chief bridesmaid :D
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Though I don't want to dampen you lovely enthusiasm for this wedding, I must say I agree that even with the agreement of your friend and his best man, you're putting your desire to make a speech above the wishes of the couple (if they wanted you to do a speech they'd have asked, which is a bit different from agreeing to it) and the other people there.

However...

1) At my sister's wedding, the best man spoke for 25mins. My dad spoke for 5 bless him, the groom for 10 and my sister for 5. Speech fatigue is a real thing and length is not representative of quality. Keep. It. Short.

2) Anecdotes - again, the best man at my sister's wedding told three long winded anecdotes, one that only people who were at the stag do would understand, all of which covering the same topic more or less. Anecdotes should be short and inclusive - everyone should 'get' it without 10 mins of preamble explaining it and don't shock the grannies. If the best man is doing anecdotes, cross reference it with his to make sure it isn't too samey.

3) How long should you speak for? 2-3 minutes, if that. It doesn't even have to be as fleshed out as an anecdote, it could be as simple as 'I've known since he first started dating x that this was the real thing etc, wish them a long and happy life together'.

You can sve the big tribute for them to privately read in the guest book.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Serious question, what does an adult usher actually do? Ive only ever heard of it in weddings where younger boys, who are too old to be page boys, are given the title of usher. Its usually happened when their siblings are bridesmaids so they are given the title of usher so they dont feel left out.

I wouldnt have thought the speech would be an issue. My husband was best man at a wedding where the groom couldnt decide between his two close friends so had two best men. They both had to do a speech (neither of them wanted to so were hoping the other would!). And as far as i know that worked out ok. I think they both did short speeches though so it sort of worked out the same as having one long speech.

So long as you and the best man dont cover the same things it should be ok. Have you known the groom longer? If youve known him longer then maybe stick to ancedotes that the best man wouldnt cover so you dont end up awkwardly talking about the same things.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The problem is is that the speech you want to make is essentially the best man's speech, and the groom has already chosen someone for that. It would be weird to have 2 people standing up giving very similar style, but separate speeches. If you do do it, then keep it very short and check with the best man you are not covering the same ground.

I think there are 2 better options.

1. Do a joint speech with the best man (if both he and the groom are agreeable to this). I have seen this done a few times and it can work well. When i was best man at a bilingual wedding i had the head usher come up and do part of the speech in French.

2. Ask if you can say a few words at the ceremony instead. You often get sisters/friends etc coming up to read a poem or say something nice about the bride and groom.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few anecdotes? You'd have to check they're not already material for the Best Man's speech. Sounds awkward to me. 60 seconds at most, perhaps introducing Best Man as legitimate link. It's not your day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think ushers greet and direct where to sit. That's what I've been asked to do anyway.:-) I've know him 32 years. Quite a long time.:-) The best man for 25 years. I moved away so understood completly he chose his other long standing friend as best man. :-)
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ushers greet and direct where to sit. That's what I've been asked to do anyway.:-) I've know him 32 years. Quite a long time.:-) The best man for 25 years. I moved away so understood completly he chose his other long standing friend as best man. :-)

Yeah, usher is a literal description - you usher people to their seats! You can't expect little kids to do that. That's another helpful thing you can do on the way btw - offer to be a point of access for guests arriving at the venue. The couple can give everyone your number and if there are any stray lost or late guests then you can help them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have admit reading the mixed comments I suppose it is strange to make a speech as well. I will call him and the best man and say so. Thanks folks.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my daughter's wedding, the best man spoke for far too long. In fact, I was recording everything, and I changed memory cards twice during his speech.

On the other hand, the father of the bride's speech was superb.

Actually, I can see nothing wrong with anyone making a speech, provided it's short and coordinated with others'.

The 'protocol' for the wedding celebration is just a guide; the bride and groom can change it in whatever way they want.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One wedding I went to, one of the ushers acted like an MC; introducing the speakers and talking a (little) bit inbetween.

Worked well.

Perhaps that could work for you and the groom/best man/et al OP:)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, what is the point of speeches. He thought it was lovely and thoughtful of me. Each to their own. Thank you for your replies, especially the first response.
    He thought it was nice of you to offer but asked you to consult the best man.
    You put him in a difficult spot and he wouldn't offend you.
    He's under enough pressure himself without a (well intentioned) friend inadvertently adding to it.
    Your idea may now be adding to the best man's pressure.
    Be a really good friend and put your heart into the part he wants you to play.
    He wants you to be part of his big day. Just do that for him.
    My son, his best man and his ushers spent enough time in the post wedding party bonding and hugging each other to everyone's amusement.
    Enjoy the day for him:)
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was super pissed off when one of my closest friends, whom I've known since we were both really young, got married and passed me over to be best man in favour of one of his new wife's friend's boyfriends (there was some sort of family politics involved on her side) and he asked me to be an usher instead. I took the petted lip and refused. But if I hadn't and ended up as an usher there's no way I'd have asked to make a speech!

It's a nice idea but write what you want to say in the card, people at a wedding reception just want to get the speeches over with ASAP.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    I was super pissed off when one of my closest friends, whom I've known since we were both really young, got married and passed me over to be best man in favour of one of his new wife's friend's boyfriends.
    I can top that!
    Many, many moons back my best friend asked me to be his best man.
    I hadn't seen him in 18 months as we'd gone to different colleges - no mobiles, no internet back then - just letters :)
    I was chuffed but surprised as his mother disapproved of most of his friends, including me.
    Long story short, I heard no more and didn't even get an invite.
    We met up around thirty years later at a school reunion.
    We still had a massive bond and he put my wife and I up at his house and we were happy to see each other.
    I never asked him but I noticed there were no wedding photographs amongst the many on display.
    I was glad we met again.
    Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I can top that!
    Many, many moons back my best friend asked me to be his best man.
    I hadn't seen him in 18 months as we'd gone to different colleges - no mobiles, no internet back then - just letters :)
    I was chuffed but surprised as his mother disapproved of most of his friends, including me.
    Long story short, I heard no more and didn't even get an invite.
    We met up around thirty years later at a school reunion.
    We still had a massive bond and he put my wife and I up at his house and we were happy to see each other.
    I never asked him but I noticed there were no wedding photographs amongst the many on display.
    I was glad we met again.
    Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

My cousins getting married soon to a man whos recently divorced. He has chosen a close friend to be best man, the same bloke who was best man for him in his previous wedding!

Surely he cant stand up and say what a great couple they are, how they are suited to each other and how it will last, when it was only a few years ago he said the exact same thing about another woman!

Surely in this case it would be more appropriate for him to be given an usher role?
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think reciting a short poem you've created yourself would be lovely and very meaningful.