Options

Today I have been trying to control my inner rage

eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am mixed race, my late father was from Africa and my mum English. I have experienced my fair share of racism but not recently. I am originally from London but now live happily in lovely English rural town close to the Welsh borders. Last night my daughter returned home distraught. She is pale skinned and many people don't realise she has a mixed race mother. She had gone to a club with friends, one she usually avoids but she had trainers on so the nicer clubs were out of bounds. She wanted a quiet night but witnessed a couple who had learning difficulties being ridiculed by another girl clubber. She politely asked this girl to leave them alone and recieved a tirade of racial abuse and had her hair pulled. She did not lash out as she felt the girl was young and ignorant. She reported the whole incident to the security. The girl was taken away but she was brought back and allowed to sit by my daughter moments later. This enraged my daughter who told the girl never to speak to her like that again. The bouncer leapt in and dragged my daughter out and she was thrown out of the club. I feel so angry inside I hated seeing my daughter so hurt. This the first time I have ever been an OP but the unfairness of the situation makes my blood boil

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasty. It seems the situation went strangely wrong when the abusing girl was brought back, and actually sat by your daughter. That in itself was weird. Maybe your daughter would have best played it cool at that point, but lost it (understandably), and she was the one who ended up suffering for the wrongs of another. How often that happens in life.

I think your best bet is to write a letter of complaint to the club management with a copy to your MP and the local press complaining of their endorsement of both harassment of the disabled and racial bigotry.

That's what I would do in a heartbeat. At any rate I certainly wouldn't let it rest. Good luck to you and your daughter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand why you are angry.
    Like the last poster said, write a letter to the mangement.

What you have to remember in all of this is it sounds like you have a strong & courageous daughter who won't be bullied by the f***wits of this world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are understandably enraged! When your child is hurt, you feel it as if it were happening to you. I hope that if you write a letter, some action is taken. :(
  • Options
    eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter when she was calmer today contacted the police who were very helpful. They have asked my daughter to make a formal complaint to the club's management which they will follow up with a visit. They have told her they can compel the bouncer to attend training. How much good it will do him I do not know but the police made her feel better by actually accepting her right to be treated fairly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    GOOD she took action! Why the heck was that nasty piece of work let back in to start with!?! :mad: May that bouncer have lots and LOTS of training thrown his way!!! :mad: Some people just have no respect and THAT horrible little "so n so" was one of them - just unfortunate your daughter had to meet her!!!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Just be proud that she stood up for the other girl!

Unfortunately, bouncers can only eveict people if they actually see them being confrontational with other club-goers, not on the basis of heresay. I suspect what happened was that your daughter, in telling the bouncers what had gone on, simply alerted them to a potential problem in the club which they would then keep a close eye on. When the other girl came back, and your daughter gave her a piece of her mind, that was a signal for the bouncers to intervene. If ever there is a fracas in a club, bouncers will always evict the person who looked to have started it (and never both parties as this leads to fights outside the club).