Options

Can Someone Answer Re Pet Killing!

cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
Forum Member
I'm not sure if this thread is gonna stir up a storm but I've always been curious. Why is it that some people believe the killing of a pet is no big thing: for example why does someone not get the same jail sentence for wilfully killing a pet as they would killing another person? I don't understand what seperates one murder from another - it's still a living breathing sentient lifeform. Who decided 'oh it's just a cat or just a dog i'll give them community service for 2 hours'? I really don't get it! Why is an animal life so less respected?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I have often wondered about this myself.

I am not religious, but rather I like to regard myself as being a spiritual person. I believe that anyone who kills an animal will eventually have to answer for it; maybe not on this plane, but on another. Same as people who commit suicide, and certain murder victims. Some things such as killing the Creator's animals, who we are supposed to share our planet with, are a direct slap in the face to the Creator, whoever s/he or it might be.

"According to Native American legend, when a human dies, there is a Bridge he or she must cross in order to enter Heaven. At the head of this Bridge waits every animal that the individual encountered during his or her lifetime. Based upon what they know of this person, the animals will decide which humans may cross the Bridge and which will be turned away."

I don't know where you live, but where I live, I've heard of cases in which a drunk driver convicted of vehicular manslaughter gets a paltry sentence, and serves two thirds of it, with time off for time already served while awaiting trial. I've read about some of these SOBs being released after serving mere months behind bars after having killed someone using their car as a weapon due to intoxication.

Not only that, I've read about repeat offenders who keep driving drunk. There was a notorious case a couple of years ago in our area in which some old stewbum was up for charges after he'd finally hit and killed a disabled woman who was out one evening walking with her guide dog.

This was the bum's twelfth or thirteenth conviction for drunk driving!

It's just outrageous. :mad: I can't even begin to imagine how the family of the victim must feel. It's all too much about the perp and the victims can go and rot in a corner somewhere.

I like to drink myself, love my weekend beer. But Saint Dodoboid doesn't have a car (never got my license). Heck, I don't even have a bicycle. I walk a lot, but when I drink, I stay home! Geez!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    human beings are so arrogant they think they can make up the rules and what passes as sacred life and what does not.the earth will go back some day to how it was when people did not exist because of their selfishness,it is a forgone conclusion.a life is a life no matter what form it takes and to take it without consequence is just wrong:mad: I was talking about this the other day,why is a tv licence over a £100 a year but a dog licence so paltry.If the licence was enforced more it would encourage respsonsible pet ownership.in other cultures an animals life is considered sacred,it is cowards who kill animals because they cannot stand up to a person who might fight back:(
  • Options
    Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    galaxy99 wrote: »
    human beings are so arrogant they think they can make up the rules and what passes as sacred life and what does not.the earth will go back some day to how it was when people did not exist because of their selfishness,it is a forgone conclusion.a life is a life no matter what form it takes and to take it without consequence is just wrong:mad: I was talking about this the other day,why is a tv licence over a £100 a year but a dog licence so paltry.If the licence was enforced more it would encourage respsonsible pet ownership.in other cultures an animals life is considered sacred,it is cowards who kill animals because they cannot stand up to a person who might fight back:(

Dog licences were abolished about 30 years ago. I believe that they should be brought back, in fact I'd make it law that everyone has to have a licence to own any animal - this'll never happen though because the admin required would just be too expensive.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat.J wrote: »
    Dog licences were abolished about 30 years ago. I believe that they should be brought back, in fact I'd make it law that everyone has to have a licence to own any animal - this'll never happen though because the admin required would just be too expensive.

They were? Why do I have to buy them for my dogs then?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

you didn't.
    whatever it is you bought certainly wasn't a "dog license".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat.J wrote: »

re-introducing a dog licence (or licence for any pet) would make no difference.

those who mistreat wouldn't get the licence.
    similarly, those who commit gun crimes generally do not have a licence for said gun.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No idea what you are buying as it was abolished in 1987
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What kind of dogs do you have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What kind of dogs do you have?

A lurcher, a poodle and a pug.

Perhaps it is because i'm in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it is because i'm in Northern Ireland?

yes that is the reason.

Dog licences are required under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983. as of October 2011 dog licences cost £12.50 a year, with reductions for pensioners and owners of neutered dogs.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    re-introducing a dog licence (or licence for any pet) would make no difference.

those who mistreat wouldn't get the licence.
    similarly, those who commit gun crimes generally do not have a licence for said gun.

Exactly. All the loving and responsible dog owners pay and the cruel and irresponsible ones don't.

Hand guns are illegal and the licensing for shotguns and rifles is already the toughest in the world. Crime is committed with illegally held guns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    yes that is the reason.

Dog licences are required under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983. as of October 2011 dog licences cost £12.50 a year, with reductions for pensioners and owners of neutered dogs.

Mystery solved :)