Options

Do female cats always hate their male offspring?

Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
Forum Member
✭✭
My cat Sasha, is very friendly and sweet. all she ever does is meow, very quietly.
But when her son is anywhere near her, she starts hissing and growling, and bats him one.

Her son cat doesn't react that way, when she is near him.

The only way she will put up with him being anywhere near her, is if food is involved, as they both share a food bowl.

She has acted this way, for a few years. for the first three, she seemed fine with him. she used to groom him occasionally, and they'd play fight at night.
Now she hates him.

She was maternal with him for much longer than normal.
A friend of mine, has a cat that won't even be in the same room as her three month old female kitten..

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this is certainly the case with my tomcat (his mom can't stand him - they have separate homes now btw), but I've never researched this so I can't give you a straight and correct answer.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cats love living with their offspring into old age, others turn against them. You can't make a cat like another cat. My own cat, when I kept one of her kittens, wasn't interested at all once her favourite was off to his new home, but thankfully her brother adored the kitten and vice versa, so he was happy.

Preumably both are neutered? And it might be worth putting the food into two bowls, somewhat separated. Would you like to have to sit next to someone you don't like to get fed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Some cats love living with their offspring into old age, others turn against them. You can't make a cat like another cat. My own cat, when I kept one of her kittens, wasn't interested at all once her favourite was off to his new home, but thankfully her brother adored the kitten and vice versa, so he was happy.

Preumably both are neutered? And it might be worth putting the food into two bowls, somewhat separated. Would you like to have to sit next to someone you don't like to get fed?

doesn't make a bit of difference. they will still always eat from the same bowl, that the first bit of food is poured into. if I put two bowls out, they seem to think something is wrong with the one that isn't in the right place.

yeh, they are both fixed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Males neutered cats still get the urge and will try it on with females (even their mothers). Maybe he's doing this and because she's an older cat can't be bothered so hisses to keep him away.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Bungle's female but Winnie still didn't like her. :o:(
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sasha is showing dominance behaviour to remind him who is Top Cat. As long as there is no vicious fighting or the male cat is not showing signs of distress this is fairly normal.

If the male puss starts over grooming, hiding, goes off his food, pees in odd places or acts in an increasingly nervous manner, then you have a problem.

Cats are territorial. They like to feel in control of their own space. There is always one who has to 'be in charge' and he/she will show it by hissing at other cats, swiping them over the head or batting them away. It doesn't matter if they are related or not. Once a cat gets beyond being a kitten he or she is on their own and becomes an individual cat and not a 'family member'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    Sasha is showing dominance behaviour to remind him who is Top Cat. As long as there is no vicious fighting or the male cat is not showing signs of distress this is fairly normal.

If the male puss starts over grooming, hiding, goes off his food, pees in odd places or acts in an increasingly nervous manner, then you have a problem.

Cats are territorial. They like to feel in control of their own space. There is always one who has to 'be in charge' and he/she will show it by hissing at other cats, swiping them over the head or batting them away. It doesn't matter if they are related or not. Once a cat gets beyond being a kitten he or she is on their own and becomes an individual cat and not a 'family member'.

They both like me. so that's all that matters I suppose.

I'm just worried that it could become vicious between them.

They both hate all other cats, and dogs and humans. they are not social cats. The only creature either of them likes is me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wifie wrote: »
    Males neutered cats still get the urge and will try it on with females (even their mothers). Maybe he's doing this and because she's an older cat can't be bothered so hisses to keep him away.

No. He has never tried it on with her, or any other cat. He was neutered very early.
    He just gets in her way I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »

I think she is definitely the top cat then. He won't dare sleep in her spot. she has a basket above the dryer.