House Training Woes with 8 month Old Retriever

allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My golden retriever is 8 months and a handful. Up and till around a month ago he was crated at night, but I felt he was getting too big for it and he was more and more reluctant to go in it.

After I stopped crating, problems began. I work on LA time a few nights a week so tend not to go to bed till very very late - he was let out but generally did nothing. Over a 7 day week he will soil the kitchen where he is left on average 3 / 4 nights. Bear in mind my OH is up for work early, so he is only "left" alone for a few hours really - and if he barks Im down in a shot to let him out.

This morning he had crapped all over the kitchen AGAIN and OH is at the end of his tether. We expected accidents when he was small but he doesnt seem to be learning. He never soiled his crate but seems to see the kitchen as an extension of the garden. The other morning over Xmas we fancied a lie in and it was warm so I came down, gave him his breakfast let him out and left the back door open. When I came down again, DESPITE him having access to the garden, he had weed and pooped inside.

Other times he is fine - Im at home all day and he will bark to go out and I let him out regularly even if he doesnt ask- he usually does something out there.

Any ideas how I can stop him soiling at night?

Comments

• big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having similar issues with an 8 month old (tomorrow) shih tzu. He won't dare do anything in the house when we are around, but if we're in bed or out then he'll wee and poo in the kitchen. Maybe I'm expecting too much?! But really he should be able to hold it all night now, no?
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing OP that this may be an anxiety/emotional thing for him due to the crate being disused. If crating worked for you why not get a bigger crate?

Or it may just taken him time to settle to this new setup. Don't punish - only praise when he does what you want him to do. Kind of going back to basics! You need to build his confidence up if it is anxiety..

PS I've got a Golden - 15mths old bitch. Mad as a hatter! :)
  • allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having similar issues with an 8 month old (tomorrow) shih tzu. He won't dare do anything in the house when we are around, but if we're in bed or out then he'll wee and poo in the kitchen. Maybe I'm expecting too much?! But really he should be able to hold it all night now, no?

I can relate to that - he wouldnt DARE do it if I am about! And yes, I would have thought at that age, they would have a bit better bladder control OR, in my case, barked to go out as I would be down to let him out. But he doesnt - he just does it.
    I'm guessing OP that this may be an anxiety/emotional thing for him due to the crate being disused. If crating worked for you why not get a bigger crate?

Or it may just taken him time to settle to this new setup. Don't punish - only praise when he does what you want him to do. Kind of going back to basics! You need to build his confidence up if it is anxiety..

PS I've got a Golden - 15mths old bitch. Mad as a hatter! :)

Quite the handful arent they? :D

I dont THINK its separation anxiety from the crate- I didnt remove the crate straight away, I left if for 2 weeks with the door open so he had the choice - as I said he was becoming more and more reluctant to go in it at night, and he ended up sleeping on the tiled floor of the kitchen (even though we bought him a dog bed) - I was warned Retrievers are "hot dogs" who prefer hard cool surfaces so not too concerned about that! I dont know what the problem is - his overall behaviour has gotten worse this last month. I cant let him off the lead any more as he gets distracted by a gnats breath and refuses to come when called - despite having excellent recall before. He is pulling on the lead during walks, where he used to be a lovely little walker. Its really hard work. Feel we have gone back 6 months with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Dont get too downbeat I think most dogs have setbacks in their training when they head towards the teenage phase!

Regarding the pooing. Is it always in the same place? Make sure you clean up with some biological washing powder or a special spray to remove any odour that would encourage him to keep going in the same spot.

Is he pooing alot throughout the day as well? What and when are you feeding him? Have you changed the food recently? Is he definately pooing outside before you go to bed? If its carries on you should think about talking to your vet.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »

I dont THINK its separation anxiety from the crate- I didnt remove the crate straight away, .
    Might it be seperation axiety from you? If I so much as put the bins out, my dog would poo on the floor, she hated me being apart from her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    allie5 wrote: »
    I can relate to that - he wouldnt DARE do it if I am about! And yes, I would have thought at that age, they would have a bit better bladder control OR, in my case, barked to go out as I would be down to let him out. But he doesnt - he just does it.

Quite the handful arent they? :D

I dont THINK its separation anxiety from the crate- I didnt remove the crate straight away, I left if for 2 weeks with the door open so he had the choice - as I said he was becoming more and more reluctant to go in it at night, and he ended up sleeping on the tiled floor of the kitchen (even though we bought him a dog bed) - I was warned Retrievers are "hot dogs" who prefer hard cool surfaces so not too concerned about that! I dont know what the problem is - his overall behaviour has gotten worse this last month. I cant let him off the lead any more as he gets distracted by a gnats breath and refuses to come when called - despite having excellent recall before. He is pulling on the lead during walks, where he used to be a lovely little walker. Its really hard work. Feel we have gone back 6 months with him.

I have an almost 8 year old retriever and we very nearly got rid of him at 8 months because he was a nightmare. We went back to basics and praised him and gave him treats when he did his business outside. We also made sure we took him for a walk as soon as he had eaten. He still won't poo in our garden but has only soiled the kitchen when he has been ill. We took him to dog training classes as well which burnt off some of his energy but until he came through his "teenage" phase at about a year he couldn't be let off the lead. It's worth persevering though as they are wonderful dogs once you get through that bit.