ADELE scores best-selling album two years in a row: 26.4 million copies of '21' sold

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Global success isn't just about singles, though. You can sell more singles than anyone in the world, but if you aren't shifting albums, you aren't important. Carly Rae Jepsen and Ke$ha are prime examples. Adele sold more albums than any musician in the world last year. 1D didn't even come close.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be a silly question but could you explain to me what it is you like about them? I really do struggle with 1D with their limited 'talent'.

i agree with you: it is a silly question, lolz!!:D but it is such, isn't it? you like some things just because you do... in certain ways they just make you happy and they put a smile on your face.

why do some people like 1D? i'll try to find and repost something i said on why another boyband can't duplicate what the boys has achieved:

abrightyz wrote: »
    NO... posters in MF think that because they can not accept how special 1D is. they're going on about how typical and generic they are as a boyband but they are completely brushing off the reason they became a phenomenon.:)

UJ may achieve some degree of success but not of 1D level.

if we think of apps for our laptops and mobiles, 1D is the killer apps to kill all others apps out there. they rode on different super-trends and made them their own:

1) BOYBAND- the most obvious may not even be the biggest factor. remember they are not the typical all-dancing, choreographed, cheesy boyband of the 90s. they may even be loved by fans as the anti-boyband boyband.

2) REALITY TV- before this, we had soap opera where we had our favourite characters who's trials and tribulations we follow and empathise with. a step up is the Reality Shows with "real people" in "real situations". now, we were there ever since these adorable boys were formed into a group. we were there every step of their journey, experienced every leap and run, every mis-step even we took it with them.

3) BIEBER FEVER- they deffo were there to catch some of bieber's light. 'nough said.

4) GLEE- with the success of glee, there had been growing interest in music in schools and communities around the world, giving rise to vocal groups of various age groups especially the young. so who better to represent them and their aspirations than these five adorable, precocious, unassuming boys?

sure, on their time at the x factor, they were not the best vocals but we always knew they were just formed as a group and the POTENTIAL is definitely there.

if you see x factor as a show which thrust is to discover a pop act with the x factor to be really successful in the real world arena, we can actually see 1D as bang for the buck!!

5) SOCIAL MEDIA- do i really have to expound on this? lolz!! detractors are crazy not to acknowledge social media and hence "proactive fans" as more of a factor in 1D's success than what they call the "syco PR machine".

bluestone is right: simon became a virtual silent partner with 1D, only there to say yes to final approvals. (ETA: just saw string's response to bluestone and i also see her point.:cool:)

1D at the very start didn't have the advantages detractors claim they had. just like the other acts, what they were given were exposure on the show and a weekly video diary. now those weekly diaries are tools no other x factor acts had utilised as they these had *before and since*. or is it their growing fans who had?

these video diaries showed the boys in their most relaxed, spontaneous and adorable and their video diaries were copied and posted on you tube, tweeted about, gifs and jpegs were posted and reposted on tumblr. it was the internet version of the peer to peer word of mouth!! and not only locally but globally!! new fans fed on the excitement and enthusiasm of existing fans!!:cool:

inevitably, a dynamic, rich and ever-growing "mythology" and "folklore" about the boys was born. words, phrases, gestures, places and things were shoehorned by fans to represent and enrich this mythology... almost overnight, words, phrases and places were never ever the same: carrots, spoons, curls, vas happenin, no! jimmy protested, holmes chapel, mullingar, bradford, doncaster, wolverhampton, "massive thank you", "amazing", the songs "torn" "forever young" etc,...

fans coined their own name "directioners"... and to distinguish themselves from new fans who knew nought about the boys (yet) and outright fake directioners, they coined the word "directionators"... hence this fandom is the only fandom with a different name for real and fake fans!! lolz!!

and central to all these is the very meat of 1D phenomenon that detractors tend to dismiss: the five individual boys' distinct personalities and their unbelievable CHEMISTRY.:cool:

it's not everyday you find five equally loveable boys who perfectly complemented each other. here, the whole is infinitely more than sum of its parts. in them, collectively, you can see the virtual sprinkling of pixie dust.

never yet in recent history have you seen five boys in a group who are this magic collectively and head to head individually.

from the very start, most fans aligned themselves with a particular boy to champion his position within and outside the group. how do you better that for a fierce and longer lasting loyalty?

(to be continued??... i have to cook dinner now and i have work tonight;))
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    i agree with you: it is a silly question, lolz!!:D but it is such, isn't it? you like some things just because you do... in certain ways they just make you happy and they put a smile on your face.

why do some people like 1D? i'll try to find and repost something i said on why another boyband can't duplicate what the boys has achieved:

Thanks for that but I still don't see it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is time to throw these figures here.

Best Selling British Singles of 2012 (source MusicWeek).

#1 One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful 4.8 million sold
    #2 The Wanted - Glad You Came 3.8 million sold
    #3 ADELE - Set Fire to the Rain 3.6 million sold
    #3 Alex Claire - Too Close 3.6 million sold
    #3 Ellie Goulding - Lights 3.6 million sold
    #3 Coldplay - Paradise 3.6 million sold
    #7 ADELE - Someone Like You 3.2 million sold
    #8 ADELE - Skyfall 3 million sold
    #9 ADELE - Rolling in the Deep 2.8 million sold
    #10 Jessie J - Domino 2.6 million sold

CASE CLOSED, PERIOD!

There is an amazing thread on UKMIX covering all things related to sales and charting of Adele. http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=76928&start=32140

can you please link your source?

ETA on that link at the bottom, it seems that list was posted by a poster called zeneo and a few posts later questioned by a poster called rolling, but with no reply:

by zenneo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am

Top Global single sales

1, 1D WMYB 4.8M
    2, The Wanted Glad You Came 3.8M
    3, Adele SFTTR 3.6M
    3, Alex Clair Too Close 3,6M
    3, Ellie Lights 3.6M
    3. Coldplay Paradise 3.6M
    7, Adele SLY 3.2M
    8, Adele Skyfall 3.0M
    9, Adele RITD 2.9M
    10 Jessie J Domino 2.6M

As you can see Adele sold more singles than any other British Artist

by Rolling » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm

I found this list on another site without the sales, 3 of Adele's singles was released in 2011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that but I still don't see it.:)

that's ok. we are individuals with different preferences.:D
  • NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    can you please link your source?
    Those are from Music Week and are the biggest selling singles by UK Artists.

It's clear that Adele outsold them by millions of singles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NScot wrote: »
    Those are from Music Week and are the biggest selling singles by UK Artists.

It's clear that Adele outsold them by millions of singles.

can you please link as i can't find the actual article...
  • NScotNScot Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    can you please link as i can't find the actual article...
    They are 100% correct and the article will be blocked to you if you are not a memeber of MusicWeek.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy how Adele had 4 of the top 10 spots for best selling British singles when she only released one song last year. Goes to show, if the music is good it will last. I doubt anyone is still buying Teenage Dream or Till The World Ends right now, but people still seem to be purchasing Rolling In The Deep. That's massive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Crazy how Adele had 4 of the top 10 spots for best selling British singles when she only released one song last year. Goes to show, if the music is good it will last. I doubt anyone is still buying Teenage Dream or Till The World Ends right now, but people still seem to be purchasing Rolling In The Deep. That's massive.

I could imagine that RITD will reach in 5 years 10 millions in the US, second to Elton John.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Isn't RITD the biggest 'cross over' song in 25 years in the US? Amazing to think it took several months to really take hold over there but there was no stopping it once it did.

Edit: Found it

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1177102/adeles-rolling-in-the-deep-is-the-biggest-crossover-song-of-past-25-years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is pretty incredible, personally I'm not a fan but you can't deny her incredible success.
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Re her singles: I never got the appeal of "Someone like you" and found "Rumour has it" so-so, but "Rolling in the deep", "Skyfall" and "Set fire to the rain" are just... sublime. Especially the latter, which is my favourite Adele song by some distance.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,253
    Forum Member
    I luv Adele, one of the best singers out there, and she is milessssssssssss :p better then 1D, I would luv to see 1D beat them sales. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are very impressive figures.