Options

the goldbergs (E4 pace)

Comments

• Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Glad i'm not the only one, two days running now. :(

Other than that, its a brilliant series!

The sound seemed okay for me.
  • Options
    MAD4DSMAD4DS Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loving this show!

Has anybody else noticed that the E4 versions are very subdued and desaturated in comparison with the abc versions?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Words, words, adjectives and verbs"

class.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do wonder why they avoid the year when the reference something that is so specific? Movies can be vague (just), but Reagan's landslide of '84?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have started again from episode 1.

This is very handy as I've got my 11 year old nephew into it in the last couple of weeks and he was really upset last night when he heard it was the last episode of series 2.

He hasn't seen any of the first series and only the last half dozen of series 2. Excellent.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so watching the end credits last night, is it safe to assume that Erica has been made up for the tv show?

there were real life clips of all Adams family apart from Erica.........
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    so watching the end credits last night, is it safe to assume that Erica has been made up for the tv show?

Erica was actually Eric in real life. I assume the gender change was to balance the cast a bit

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/the-goldbergs/
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Erica was actually Eric in real life. I assume the gender change was to balance the cast a bit

thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw a YouTube video last week with the real Beverly Goldberg was giving a talk on Erica being Eric.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank you

Woah,the actor who plays Adam is 16! Looks so young 😮
  • Options
    wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here season 3 is planned to air prime time this autumn.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit strange seeing Barry pop up in last nights The Middle (Comedy Central). He was at a party at Indiana State. Still wearing his orange Flyers tee.

Strange cross promotion by ABC I guess.
  • Options
    BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this comedy series so far having come to this late. I was put off by the promos, despite loving the 80s theme.

My first episode was the Ferris Bueller one and was hooked, as I loved the attention to detail with nods to the film scenes eg in the art gallery. :)

Now I'm watching the repeats in order from series 1.

Love pops, and the relationship he has with Adam, and the real video clips at the end.
    All actors are well cast, but find Barry so OTT. Not too sure about their clothing/costumes, they seem to be too modern (stretch lace didn't exist back then alas) but that's a minor niggle.

They look like they had so much fun making these episodes and the real life family who lived through it, especially dressing up like the 80s films, I'm kinda envious despite having lived through it myself. Looking forward to watching them all. :D
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do wonder why they avoid the year when the reference something that is so specific? Movies can be vague (just), but Reagan's landslide of '84?

Its best they avoid the actual year as its hard enough keeping the attention to detail of everything 80's let alone them pinning it down to a specific year. As soon as they say an episode is 1985 there will be scores of people (geeks) ready to moan that this particular song / invention / clothes were not around until 1986.

Also they dont know what storylines they plan to do in the future. If they had a specific year then they would have to go back in time if they wanted to do a storyline from an earlier year.
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erica is a fictional character, although the character is based on Adam's actual brother Eric.

Most of the show is based on his family, although a bit of artistic licence is used.

His dad did used to walk around without trousers on too.

Stumbled across this show by chance, and it has now became one of my favourites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit strange seeing Barry pop up in last nights The Middle (Comedy Central). He was at a party at Indiana State. Still wearing his orange Flyers tee.

Strange cross promotion by ABC I guess.
    Strange indeed considering The Middle is set in tue modern day while The Goldbergs is set in the 80s.

ABC clearly thought there was some logic in it somewhere, but I can't see any.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Its best they avoid the actual year as its hard enough keeping the attention to detail of everything 80's let alone them pinning it down to a specific year. As soon as they say an episode is 1985 there will be scores of people (geeks) ready to moan that this particular song / invention / clothes were not around until 1986.

Also they dont know what storylines they plan to do in the future. If they had a specific year then they would have to go back in time if they wanted to do a storyline from an earlier year.

Its more than that. There's also an intentional theme going about how memory of your childhood works. That its a bit disconnected from reality, from actual sequence or total accuracy. Adam is what's called an "unreliable narrator", and it's completely on purpose. Its no so much so that we doubt what Adam says, so much as a reinforcement that the broad strokes (the lessons learned) matter more than the details.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Im in the minority but I find the clips of the "real" Adam the worst bit of the show. Mainly because unlike the fictional Adam who is very likeable, the real Adam seems bloody annoying. He comes across as a spoilt brat and he must have driven everyone mad back in the 80's sticking a camera in their face 24/7 and screaming and cackling like a banshee all the time.

The show itself, I absolutely adore though. Funniest thing on tv this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Its more than that. There's also an intentional theme going about how memory of your childhood works. That its a bit disconnected from reality, from actual sequence or total accuracy. Adam is what's called an "unreliable narrator", and it's completely on purpose. Its no so much so that we doubt what Adam says, so much as a reinforcement that the broad strokes (the lessons learned) matter more than the details.
    'Why is The Goldbergs set in "1980-something" instead of a specific year?
    At the beginning of nearly every episode of The Goldbergs, the TV show's narrator (Patton Oswalt) reminds us that the current episode takes place in "1980-something." As Vulture.com points out in their interview with the real Adam Goldberg, this ambiguity with regard to time finds the characters discussing Poltergeist, released in 1982, at the same time the brother, Barry (Troy Gentile), is super-excited about the Reebok Pump, which was invented in the late-eighties. The main reason for the mildly confusing (though often easy to overlook) issue with the show's time frame is that if the show was set in a specific year, like 1985 for example, the creators would have to wait up to five years (five seasons) to include references to certain '80s staples like Say Anything (1989), the Reebok Pump and the Nintendo Power Glove.

"I should be so lucky to be five years in on a show," says the real Adam Goldberg. "And for now I only have twelve episodes. He added that for most of us, when we recall our memories of the 1980s, we usually don't remember the exact year anyway. "When I think, When did I win Legend of Zelda? I don't remember what year it was. I only remember that it was somewhere in the mid to late eighties. ... So we decided to set it in '1980-something.'" This idea of having an undependable narrator was "so liberating creatively. We could do anything ... It's kind of a melting pot of the eighties. It's how you remember it."
    '
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the '80's something' way of doing thing, as it is the essence of 80s I really like.

I think 'That 70s Show' kept to each year, and TBH I didn't really care that it was 71 for one season and 72 for another. Again it was the essence of the 70s I liked about the show.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    'Why is The Goldbergs set in "1980-something" instead of a specific year?
    At the beginning of nearly every episode of The Goldbergs, the TV show's narrator (Patton Oswalt) reminds us that the current episode takes place in "1980-something." As Vulture.com points out in their interview with the real Adam Goldberg, this ambiguity with regard to time finds the characters discussing Poltergeist, released in 1982, at the same time the brother, Barry (Troy Gentile), is super-excited about the Reebok Pump, which was invented in the late-eighties. The main reason for the mildly confusing (though often easy to overlook) issue with the show's time frame is that if the show was set in a specific year, like 1985 for example, the creators would have to wait up to five years (five seasons) to include references to certain '80s staples like Say Anything (1989), the Reebok Pump and the Nintendo Power Glove.

"I should be so lucky to be five years in on a show," says the real Adam Goldberg. "And for now I only have twelve episodes. He added that for most of us, when we recall our memories of the 1980s, we usually don't remember the exact year anyway. "When I think, When did I win Legend of Zelda? I don't remember what year it was. I only remember that it was somewhere in the mid to late eighties. ... So we decided to set it in '1980-something.'" This idea of having an undependable narrator was "so liberating creatively. We could do anything ... It's kind of a melting pot of the eighties. It's how you remember it."
    '

I don't get it. You underlined the part about the "main reason" (which I don't disagree is the main reason), but also included a part from Adam himself which completely agrees with what I said was an additional important reason. Was the underlining meant to imply you thought I was wrong?
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say I very rarely watch US imports, but this is great. Was flicking channels last Saturday morning and stumbled across it. I am completely hooked and was overjoyed to find E4 was repeating S1. Funnier than Everybody Hates Chris, which was the last US import I saw. No surprise that I'm a forty-something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Back on tuesday, 26th jan.

Double bill.

Yeehaaa!
  • Options
    chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Back on tuesday, 26th jan.

Double bill.

Yeehaaa!

Personally cant wait kinda gives me reminders of malcolm in the middle when i was younger. Props go to the the mother. Almost always in stitches when i watch this series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heads Up!

Tonight, 8 - 9pm, E4.