PC Andrew Duncan's killer sent down

MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There's a few threads in this section right now, which quite rightly criticise the heavy-handed behaviour of the police.

But let's not forget that they also do an incredibly tough job, put their lives at risk and have to deal every day with the likes of Gary Cody.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26081135

I know bashing the police is fashionable and sometimes justified, but you've also got to acknowledge the difficulty of the job they do and the risks it entails.

RIP PC Andrew Duncan.

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're out there putting their lives at risk for us.I couldn't do their job,dealing with scum all day every day.
    Of course,as in every profession there are bad apples.But the 99% majority are just like this poor chap.Just trying to make a living and doing something to make life better for the rest of us.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    In a statement, a prison officer said while incarcerated Cody appeared to be "extracting a degree of satisfaction from his notoriety" and gloated to others that he was "the one who ran the policeman over" and told them footage of the incident was on YouTube.

Sounds like he needs to spend more than 8 years locked away.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    25 yrs old with 88 offences and 35 convictions under his belt. Showed no remorse in fact has been boasting about it.
    It makes you wonder what more he had to do to recieve the maximum sentence available.
    I say that assuming that he wasnt given the maximum as it wasnt mentioned.
    Have you ever noticed how the media never mention what the maximum sentence available to the judge was?
    Is it lazy reporting or are they in cahoots with the establishment to not wind up the great British public by reminding them daily just how weak the sentencing for violent crimes is?
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »

Yes,eight years is farcical.Its about time the law was changed.With good behavior this turd will be out in four.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    25 yrs old with 88 offences and 35 convictions under his belt. Showed no remorse in fact has been boasting about it.
    It makes you wonder what more he had to do to recieve the maximum sentence available.
    I say that assuming that he wasnt given the maximum as it wasnt mentioned.
    Have you ever noticed how the media never mention what the maximum sentence available to the judge was?
    Is it lazy reporting or are they in cahoots with the establishment to not wind up the great British public by reminding them daily just how weak the sentencing for violent crimes is?

Here are the sentencing guidelines for you (only took a few seconds to google).

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_driving/

The maximum sentence is 14 years imprisonment. Despite the lack of remorse he pleaded guilty so will receive a reduced sentence, I'll let you go through the guidelines which highlight aggravating and mitigating factors.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wont, out in 4. the liberal joke system continues.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree-why was he even out of jail considering his lengthy criminal history?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    14 years is the maximum, and I've never seen a case come anywhere close to that.

This was an example of someone who surely should, despite a guilty plea, which was hardly a worthy gesture on his part.

Everyone knows full well that when he comes out he will continue driving, and put more lives at risk. People like him, who are continual offenders should not be allowed parole, because they don't learn from their imprisonment. The full sentence should be served.
    Forum Member
    14 years is the maximum, and I've never seen a case come anywhere close to that.

This was an example of someone who surely should, despite a guilty plea, which was hardly a worthy gesture on his part.

Everyone knows full well that when he comes out he will continue driving, and put more lives at risk. People like him, who are continual offenders should not be allowed parole, because they don't learn from their imprisonment. The full sentence should be served.

Depending on prison overcrowding issues at the time, he may even be released on license after less than 4 years...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on prison overcrowding issues at the time, he may even be released on license after less than 4 years...

It's an absolute disgrace if that happens.

Parole, and early release seems a way to create space rather than rewarding prisoners who have behaved, and do not appear a future threat.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Parole, and early release seems a way to create space rather than rewarding prisoners who have behaved, and do not appear a future threat.
    This is what happens in a lofty liberal run country. Things are getting worse by the week, and liberals are to blame.
    Forum Member

That's the trouble - good behaviour often allows for a release on license half way through, and other issues often allow this earlier. In my opinion good behaviour should only guarantee one thing - release at the end of the sentence. Anything less than good behaviour should incur further time.

Human rights has nothing to do with it, there are plenty of other countries bound by the ECHR that don't have the ridiculous sentencing that we do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem stupid they people are given a sentence that very few are likely to complete. It really should mean what it says. I suppose if we did that, sentences would be much shorter from the outset, which would cause a real rumpus, and no Govt would allow an appearance that they were soft on crime, even though they all are.

If we have to have early release, I would apply it to first time inside prisoners only, because if they go back again, they clearly haven't learned any lesson, so they shouldn't be eligible for any reductions.