What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Linda Huber - The cold, cold sea
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently re-living my childhood with Enid Blyton's 'The Magic Faraway Tree'. :D
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of spooky books as the nights are drawing in and it's nearly Halloween.

Reading The Lamp of the Wicked by Phil Rickman (Merrily Watkins 5)

About to start listening to The Waiting Room by F. G. Cottam, read by David Rintoul.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Just finished Rush of Blood by Mark Billingham. Took a while to get into it but it picks up after a while. It's the story of three couples who meet on holiday, during the holiday a girl goes missing and is later found dead. Then when they get back home another girl goes missing...

The problem for me was that there weren't any really sympathetic characters so you follow the story more out of morbid curiosity than concern for any of them.
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started Lamentation, C.J Sansom, waited agers for this!
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Teashop On The Corner - Milly Johnson
    Forum Member
    Maureen Carter - Death Line
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I've just 'discovered' Bryce Courtney, I've read the first part of his 'Australia' trilogy called The Potato Factory, and now I'm on book 2 called Tommo and Hawk, both excellent very page turnable books.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christiane Rochefort - Warrior's Rest
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill- my new favourite horror writer, and the first in years to actually shit me up a bit. Should probably not keep reading his stuff just before I go to sleep.

Just started James Ellroy's The Cold Six Thousand. Too early to call, but if it doesn't turn out to be yet another masterclass in balls-out no-bullshit ultra-hardcore nasty poetry, I'll eat my own face off.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2Sides - Rio Ferdinand
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Just finished The Ritual by Adam Nevill- my new favourite horror writer, and the first in years to actually shit me up a bit. Should probably not keep reading his stuff just before I go to sleep.

Just started James Ellroy's The Cold Six Thousand. Too early to call, but if it doesn't turn out to be yet another masterclass in balls-out no-bullshit ultra-hardcore nasty poetry, I'll eat my own face off.

I read that after it was recommended by Joe Abercrombie on his blog and to be perfectly honest I thought it was mediocre and a bit too predictable. People lost in woods stalked by unseen creature, enter local weirdos, madness ensues.
    Dan Simmons - The Terror has a similar premise but his execution and prose are much better.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Men Who United the States: The Amazing Stories of the Explorers, Inventors and Mavericks Who Made America by Simon Winchester
    His focus here is on the more subtle aspects of nation building. He examines the accomplishments of a variety of characters, some famous and some obscure, whose visions and mastery of emerging technologies drew Americans closer together as our geographic size expanded.

Thomas Jefferson’s vision of an “empire of liberty” led to the acquisition of the Louisiana Territory and the Lewis and Clark expedition. William Maclure, a hyperactive Scottish immigrant, provided a geological survey of vast areas of the eastern U.S. and then promoted the value of a practical education for ordinary citizens. Winchester provides a fascinating portrayal of Samuel Morse, the “man who tamed the lightning,” and the vital role of the telegraph in bridging distances. This is a finely crafted and valuable reminder that the evolution of our united nation was a process often accelerated by unlikely, sometimes eccentric men who operated outside the political sphere.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelts wrote: »
    Just started Lamentation, C.J Sansom, waited agers for this!

Me too! I'll need to try and restrain myself from tearing through it.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I read that after it was recommended by Joe Abercrombie on his blog and to be perfectly honest I thought it was mediocre and a bit too predictable. People lost in woods stalked by unseen creature, enter local weirdos, madness ensues.
    Dan Simmons - The Terror has a similar premise but his execution and prose are much better.

I loved The Terror (even though Simmons is something of an arse these days), but didn't really think they were that similar. I think a lot of what got me about The Ritual was that I love black metal!
    Forum Member
    Kathryn Hughes - The Letter
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    I've just finished John Green's The Fault In Our Stars and I can now see why it's been widely praised. It was a great (and emotive) read.
    Forum Member
    Margaret Forster - The Unknown Bridesmaid
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything by Roddy Doyle at the moment! Have read a
    few before,so am re-reading them,along with a dozen or
    so that I have never read before. Warm,witty and very
    good the way they draw the reader in,without having
    stunning or complex plot lines! Just everyday folk,doing
    everyday stuff,and leading (often) complicated lives
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Ian Rankin - Saints of the Shadow. Although I like his books they are very similar. Once I've finished this one I'll give him a rest for while
    Forum Member
    Sharon Bolton - Blood Harvest
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    What Lies Beneath by Sarah Raynes, I'm struggling with it a bit.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Engel's England - Matthew Engels
    Life - Keith Richards
  • LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I'm currently reading Ghostwritten by David Mitchell and The Mistletoe Bride by Kate Mosse

Nikki :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished:

"Aleister Crowley: Magick, Rock and Roll, and the Wickedest Man in the World" ~ Gary Lachman

Just Started:

"Quatermass and the Pit (BFI Film Classics)" ~ Kim Newman