Prometheus - Ridley Scotts Alien Prequel

1394041424345»

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Then why even take the body? she may as well of left it in that case. She is only has to reattach a head to a body there may even be some form of self repair that can assist, who knows at this point.

I would put money on David being repaired in the next movie and not just a head, I will bookmark this to repost in a couple of years :D

are they even making another movie ?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are they even making another movie ?

Who knows, this is the last I heard about it http://variety.com/2013/film/news/transcendence-scribe-to-pen-prometheus-sequel-1200478483/
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I cared about the character of Ripley in Alien and more so in Aliens. As I know what she endured in Alien.

I was unable to feel that for the Elizabeth Shaw character.
    I think she was fashioned in the style of Ripley but it didn't quite hit the spot, not for me anyhow.
    Perhaps Elizabeth Shaw in a follow up may change that?

Do you think caring for a main character in a science fiction franchise is important to it's success?
    It can't just be about special effects etc.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    She is only has to reattach a head to a body...

Sounds simple enough :p
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ali_CW wrote: »
    Do you think caring for a main character in a science fiction franchise is important to it's success?
    It can't just be about special effects etc.

Yes, most certainly. It's a key to the longevity of a franchise, too. That's probably why some potential franchises succeed while the rest fails.

In actual fact, I suspect the popularity of, or affection for, actors can help to disguise the weak characterisation of their characters. I'm looking at you, Iron Man/Robert Downey Jr. On the other hand, the unpopularity of actors can doom a potential franchise from the start. Green Lantern/Ryan Reynolds, anyone?

This applies to every genre possible and every type of character, though. A character (protagonist, anti-hero/ine or secondary character) has to have something the audience can relate to, otherwise it's a lost cause. A well-written villain is much more memorable than any one-dimension villain, too. So yeah, I do think caring for a main character matters. Even better when the plot is solid. :D
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Sounds simple enough :p

Just like lego :D
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    this film was..... just.....sorry....I cant even begin

for me the most disappointed ive ever been with a film in the last 10 years
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Promethius is the first in a new trilogy, so you will undoubtedly get to see the sequal at some point.

Interresting you mention Fyfield and Milburn but don't mention the face that Fyfileds sole purpose seems to be as a cartographer....a cartographer who instantly gets lost in the tunnels he has just mapped! He is a geologist....but apparently he's also a robo map making dude as well.....it just doesn't make much sense....what possible use could a geologist have for those "pups"?

Personally that doesn't bother me, the maps appeared to send the info str8 back to Prometheus, He had no screen himself to relate/orientate himself the info that Prometheus was receiving.

Sure theres loads of plot loops, but, even Alien has some anomalies:

If Alien came out today, the audiences would not buy Ripley suddenly looking for a cat whilst Lambert & Parker are isolated in deck C which is very badly lit, doing all the real work!

If you watch closely, all the encounters with the fully grown alien (up until the end) are on deck C. Just avoid deck C, go into hypersleep & the alien would probably remain downstairs out of everyones way!:D
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    I'm not sure an archaeologist would have the know how or background in advanced robotics necessary ;)

well, Ripley was a warrant officer, and she managed too! There could well be repair instruments that were on Vickers seperate module, it would make sense, seeing as her father was being hidden in there...
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is a Sequel I half expect Vickers to appear she seemed almost as Cold as David.
    maybe an Android who was Given emotions and it didn't quite work out?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Though a fairly successful film, the question is do enough people want a sequel to warrant one.

A wildcard bet would be that Fox leave it to languish in production hell, then reboot the whole franchise - which is still a good asset - completely afresh from the ground up. It worked out well for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a much better film and a bigger hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Though a fairly successful film, the question is do enough people want a sequel to warrant one.

A wildcard bet would be that Fox leave it to languish in production hell, then reboot the whole franchise - which is still a good asset - completely afresh from the ground up. It worked out well for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a much better film and a bigger hit.

Fox don't have that many franchises (X:Men, Planet of the Apes, Alien, Ice Age, Die Hard, Fantastic Four). As far as I can remember it's also the only major company to have any R rated franchises...

As soon as possible, they're going to lose the rights to X:Men and Fantastic Four (and there is a growing number of people asking them to give them up, purely so they can appear in the MCU)

Ice Age and Die Hard will take a while to return. Fantastic Four and POTA are struggling to get off the ground (one only exists so that Marvel don't get the rights back).
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    this film was..... just.....sorry....I cant even begin

for me the most disappointed ive ever been with a film in the last 10 years

I saw this with two friends who both enjoy Sci-fi, afterwards we went for drink and they sat there looking at their beers and going "well" and mumbling.:)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film has it's defenders, and as someone who isn't really a fan of the Alien series I'm certainly not the best to comment, but personally I thought the film was pretty awful. Nothing in it made sense to me.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the Alien films to varying degrees but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I didn't love it and didn't hate it. Don't see it as being anywhere near as bad as some have been making out though. The sad thing is that it's becoming more and more difficult to find intelligent, objective opinions (good or bad) on anything Lindelof related purely because of the amount of immature hate out there directed at him (same applies to Snyder). Some people seem to revert to the 13 year old stroppy teenage versions of themselves as soon as they see his name on anything. It's almost as pathetic as the Lucas rapped my childhood brigade.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I enjoy the Alien films to varying degrees but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I didn't love it and didn't hate it. Don't see it as being anywhere near as bad as some have been making out though. The sad thing is that it's becoming more and more difficult to find intelligent, objective opinions (good or bad) on anything Lindelof related purely because of the amount of immature hate out there directed at him (same applies to Snyder). Some people seem to revert to the 13 year old stroppy teenage versions of themselves as soon as they see his name on anything. It's almost as pathetic as the Lucas rapped my childhood brigade.

That's a fair point, but you shouldn't let it blind you to the fact that many people who don't have an axe to grind or fan boy perspective also thought the film was very bad.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't hate it; I was disappointed.

It was a passable science fiction film and, if I don't think too much about it, it was fairly entertaining. Given the talent behind the camera I expected it to be better than it was; however, my brother, who has never seen Alien or Aliens (I've seen both several times) had no expectations and thought it was great.

It was really well made, and looked incredible. It just didn't meet expectations.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a fair point, but you shouldn't let it blind you to the fact that many people who don't have an axe to grind or fan boy perspective also thought the film was very bad.

I don't let it blind me. I read every review with an open mind and I'm always happy to read well reasoned, constructive opinions, however positive or negative. Sadly, those types of reviews are increasingly drowned out by the fanboys and the haters over reactions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    well, Ripley was a warrant officer, and she managed too! There could well be repair instruments that were on Vickers seperate module, it would make sense, seeing as her father was being hidden in there...

Ripely managed to what? She didn't repair Bishop, she just stuck some jack plugs into him and left him on a garbage heap ;)

Why would it make sense to have anything on the lifeboat to repair David?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    If there is a Sequel I half expect Vickers to appear she seemed almost as Cold as David.
    maybe an Android who was Given emotions and it didn't quite work out?

There was this whole thing when the first film was being made there was an interview with the director I think and he was asked if there would be androids or artificial life forms in Prometheus, his answer was that there would be AT LEAST ONE....probably doesn't mean anything, but the theorists think it could mean Vickers was an android.