Vestel issue.

Comments

• Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kurgan2 wrote: »
    ^ It seems to be completely random.
    When you say white noise static, do you mean in terms of audio, video or both? There are two things that I've noticed during channel changes: sometimes the audio of the new channel can be heard for a split second, then it is muted for a split second before returning (only happens with SD channels). On rare occasions there appear to be HDMI handshaking issues during channel changing - once it resynced causing the display to blank for a few seconds as if I had changed input on the TV and a few time there is no audio (TV pops up an error message about bad sound format), and changing channels again fixes this.
  • Options
    StasisLeakStasisLeak Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    It's both video and audio.
    Sometimes for a second or two when changing channels.
    Sometimes I also get a split second of blue screen.
    Turning off HDCP slightly improves it because it causes a delay in changing channels.
    However the problem does still occur.

I agree Fred Smith
    A timer is a basic requirement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    i'm having a hell of a time trying to update a bush dvb680 using this method.
    I always get "no response from remote system"
    I've tested my home made scart/rs232 cable with a multimeter, the continuity is good.
    In the PDF, it says to make sure power state is off. does this mean unplugged from the mains or standby (red LED) mode?

The option for USB upgrade appears in the configuration menu, but this model has no physical port included.
    Is there a place on the board where i can solder a usb port, or perhaps one of the pin headers can be used to attach one?
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the PDF, it says to make sure power state is off. does this mean unplugged from the mains or standby (red LED) mode?

Mains power is off, unplugged not in standby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    still no response in hyperterminal. i'll have to try a friends pc at some stage.
    The pin header designated CN2 (the one with the white plastic connector) is in fact a USB header. if i connect a flash drive, an on screen message appears telling me its connected, but no new software is found if i attempt the usb upgrade.
    Tried various usb sticks, various file systems. unless its looking for a file name other than forced_upgrade.bin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still no response in hyperterminal. i'll have to try a friends pc at some stage.
    The pin header designated CN2 (the one with the white plastic connector) is in fact a USB header. if i connect a flash drive, an on screen message appears telling me its connected, but no new software is found if i attempt the usb upgrade.
    Tried various usb sticks, various file systems. unless its looking for a file name other than forced_upgrade.bin
    Is that a typo - did you mean force_upgrade.bin (should be "force", not "forced")? Normally it should detect the upgrade automatically as soon as the USB device registers and then asks if you want to upgrade. The memory stick needs to be FAT32 formatted and force_upgrade.bin (all lowercase) in the top level dir on the stick.

Are you saying yours has a USB connector fitted (minus the outer metal part, possibly)? I did wonder if it would be possible to solder a USB socket on. Normally Vestel just leave the solder pads there, but from what you say it sounds like they did at least half the job by putting a connector on there anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes, it was a typo. the file is named force_upgrade.bin
    the usb header is circled in this pic http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/irishwhip/DSC00948_zps6195736b.jpg

can the update be delivered through ethernet? this box has a working network connection, though i've yet to find out what its used for
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting - my board only has solder pads at CN2, with the real USB socket at CN3. I agree with your pinouts on CN2 as they match my CN3 socket pins. Well, except for the +5v pin - have you measured that with GND to test it is getting 5v? I only ask as on my board it does not. The data +/- pins appear to pass straight to from CN2 to CN3, but the 5v routing is different.

The Ethernet port is only used for the red button iPlayer, AFAIK, and cannot be used to apply updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm reading 5.09v from it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    would the age of the firmware have any effect on recognising the USB update file? its still on v2.28, no idea why it didn't auto update when the previous upgrades were broadcast.
    If this is the case, are there any older files available for me to try flashing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    without any changes in cabling, or changes in my com port settings, i suddenly start recieving data in the terminal.
    when i try to send the upgrade file, hyperterminal gives up after 9 "unrequested response" errors. unsure if the red wire is actually transmitting. sample captured tex from bootloader: http://pastebin.com/eamvfx5T

(sorry for double post, can't seem to edit my previous one)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Re: Scart to Serial attempt.
    Were you using a PC with a proper serial port, or an adapter of some sort?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my motherboard has an IDC10 connector instead of a male DE9 (they sell a bracket seperately)
    Pin 1 - Data carrier detect
    Pin 2 - Receive data
    Pin 3 - Transmit data
    Pin 4 - Data terminal ready
    Pin 5 - Signal ground
    Pin 6 - Data set ready
    Pin 7 - Request to send
    Pin 8 - Clear to send
    Pin 9 - Ring indicator

scart pin 10 is connected to pin 3, scart 12 to pin 2 scart gnd to pin 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Have you by any chance got access to an older PC with a serial port?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The software version that you have installed shouldn't make a difference - you can upgrade from any older version. Not sure why the USB update isn't working, but that serial log that you posted shows that your serial port should be OK. Just checking as others have made this mistake - you need to start the file transfer in hyper terminal while the box is unplugged from the mains. Then when you plug it in the transfer should then start more or less immediately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to think my serial port is knackered, or there is some really obvious setting I'm missing. I tried bridging pins 2 and 3 for a loopback test, there was no output in the terminal, I've repeated this test with teraterm in windows and cutecom and minicom in linux, yet the bootloader output proves my port is receiving.
    Testing pin 3 with my multimeter shows the expected voltage, and sending a 500ms break on TxD in realterm shows the expected change in voltage.

I'll do what Kurgan2 suggested and try an old pc, i think my neighbour still has an old dell with xp on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I fixed it.
    My serial port is definitely either damaged or incompatible with this method in some way.
    I borrowed a old pentium 4 from my neighbour, But i still couldn't flash the file (loopback test worked when 2+3 were bridged, so the port was definitley fine).
    I started probing around with my multimeter again and found issues with the scart pin 12. There must be a bad joint in there somewhere, because after my bodged and probably hugely unsafe repair, the bootloader shows every time in hyper terminal (it was very sketchy before).

So I clicked on send, and here is the result: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/irishwhip/DSC00950_zpsf8d2d24b.jpg

All HD channels are now present.

USB issue: The option for usb upgrade no longer appears in the config menu, but when i plugged in my stick, "usb device connected" still appears, but this time, it finds the upgrade and asks if i want to update.
    I can only assume v2.28 looks for a different filename or some line of code that isn't present in the 2.58 file.

If anyone has a box without USB, with firmware higher than 2.28, try plugging in your computers USB cable like this: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/irishwhip/DSC00952_zps709b3396.jpg
    Maybe it'll save you from buying adapters/cables.
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've opened up my Technika box and found the usb header socket as per Derek_bennetts 1st photo.
    My initial thought was to pop down to Maplin and buy a usb header plate rather than disturb my pc (it's complicated and messy in there!). I anticipated that with a suitable header plate I would plug it into the motherboard socket and the usb stick into one of the usb sockets on the header plate.
    However, I couldn't find a cable with a plug that would seem to fit into the socket on the motherboard.

Was I being too optimistic or should I search a bit harder for a suitable cable?

Edit: would this do the job?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-Female-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header/dp/B000IV6S9S/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1398526617&sr=1-16&keywords=startech+usb+adapter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that's basically a shorter version of what i used, should be fine as long as you orientate the colours correctly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's basically a shorter version of what i used, should be fine as long as you orientate the colours correctly

Thanks. I'll order it and give it a try. There was a warning about plug orientation in the reviews section of the link. At worst I have a 50/50 chance.
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm starting to think my serial port is knackered, or there is some really obvious setting I'm missing. I tried bridging pins 2 and 3 for a loopback test, there was no output in the terminal, I've repeated this test with teraterm in windows and cutecom and minicom in linux, yet the bootloader output proves my port is receiving.
    Testing pin 3 with my multimeter shows the expected voltage, and sending a 500ms break on TxD in realterm shows the expected change in voltage.

I'll do what Kurgan2 suggested and try an old pc, i think my neighbour still has an old dell with xp on it.

You mentioned earlier that you had a serial port bracket with an IDC10 connector.

There are two different wiring pinout standards for the IDC connector, are you sure you got the right one for your mobo (what make + model)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a layout used on recent Asus boards
    the manual only lists pin1, pin 5 can be easily checked for ground, pin 2 was definitely RxD because i received data in the terminal.
    TxD was the problem pin. the voltage reading on my multimeter on pin 3 changed as expected when I sent commands, but the file transfer always failed after packet1
    For other Asus users, the layout is
    the key on the connector aligns with pin 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cp2 wrote: »
    I've opened up my Technika box and found the usb header socket as per Derek_bennetts 1st photo.
    My initial thought was to pop down to Maplin and buy a usb header plate rather than disturb my pc (it's complicated and messy in there!). I anticipated that with a suitable header plate I would plug it into the motherboard socket and the usb stick into one of the usb sockets on the header plate.
    However, I couldn't find a cable with a plug that would seem to fit into the socket on the motherboard.

Was I being too optimistic or should I search a bit harder for a suitable cable?

Edit: would this do the job?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-Female-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header/dp/B000IV6S9S/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1398526617&sr=1-16&keywords=startech+usb+adapter

I received the cable this morning and hooked it up to the socket on the motherboard. After taking the effort to actually read the service bulletin instructions I was able to update the firmware and re-scan the channels. All current HD channels are now being received.

The cable in question cost £2.34: if I had opened up my pc and borrowed from that it would have been free. Without the advice on this thread the upgrade would have been uneconomic.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    If I buy the Scart to serial cable does it require I do any soldering or not?